Another Seat Back Air Rage Case Lands Man In Handcuffs

Air marshals subdue and arrest French national who later was rushed to a hospital for diabetic shock

WHDH-TVEdmund Alexandre was arrested for allegedly interfering with a flight crew
If you thought that the fight over someone reclining back on a Newark-to-Denver flight earlier this week was bad, better brace yourself. Only, don't do it against the seat in front of you because it sounds like people are getting squirrely.

Yes, there was another fight on another plane over another attempt to recline a seat back, according to WHDH-TV. This time one of the passengers, a 61-year-old French national by the name of Edmund Alexandre, was charged with interfering with a flight crew and detained by authorities, as WBZ-TV reported.

American Airlines Flight 62 was underway from Miami in route to Paris Wednesday night when a woman in the seat in front of Alexandre leaned back. He began arguing with the woman and "became disruptive," according to a press release from the District of Massachusetts US Attorney's Office.

A flight crew member intervened, and asked Alexandre to calm down. Alexandre continued to raise his voice, left his seat and became disruptive to other passengers. As the crew member turned and walked away, Alexandre allegedly began raising his voice again, followed the crew member towards the back of the plane, and grabbed the crew member's arm.

At that point two undercover federal air marshals "subdued and handcuffed" Alexandre. The plane landed at 10pm in Boston and the marshals escorted him off the plane and handed him over to state police, who arrested Alexandre for interfering with flight crew members. According to the US Attorney's Office, the charge calls for a sentence of up to 20 years followed by three years of supervised release. Actual sentences run less than the maximum.

Alexandre's attorney, Janet Macnab, told WHDH that the man is tall and when the woman pushed her seat back to the farthest extent, it hurt his knees. Macnab also said that Alexandre speaks only French, so there may have been miscommunication as well.

Alexandre is reportedly also diabetic and was brought to a hospital because he was going into shock, a potentially life-threatening condition. A judge has released Alexandre on his own recognizance, although Macnab said even that was unreasonable.

"He didn't touch anybody, he didn't assault anybody this was a situation where he had a right to complain," Macnab said to WHDH, calling the case "an absolute overreaction."

7News Boston WHDH-TV

splnpltdhc1

When you buy a ticket to fly, you are paying for more than just the flight, examples are, fuel, pilot, co-pilot, crew, tires, the conveyer that takes your luggage, the people that handle your luggage, ground crews, landing fees, So putting in less seats would force ticket prices higher and you don't want that. On a smaller scale, your car requires more than just fuel, it needs maintenance, oil change, tires, brakes, filters, You can figure what it costs to operate by keeping track of all your expenses, and at the end of the year or month, do the math and dollars per mile, this is how the airline does business, there is no other way. They don't fill the fuel tanks every time they take on fuel, it wouldn't be cost effective. if they did, you'd be paying more for your ticket. These are not tricks of the trade, it is economic sense, and again, you'd be paying more if they didn't do business in this manner..

September 04 2014 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ConnieJ

Simple solution: Make all coach class seats in a fixed position. It's rude for one to recline their seat back into another person's space. It's bad enough that the kid behind you is kicking your kidneys without having the person in front of you sticking their head in your face.

September 04 2014 at 6:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
rainman5139

If tese people are so desparate for the extra knee/computer room they should fly first- class or take some edicate class. Chill out people it's only a couple hours and your all stuck on the same tin can in the sky so please learn how to get along so others are not inconvienced by your selfish behavior. Thank God for Air Marshals.

September 04 2014 at 3:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I've flown over 20,000 miles on commercial airlines and I have never reclined my seat out of respect for the person behind me. Even if they are short it's not pleasant having your tray table stuck into your chest for 8-10 hours I have never been uncomfortable in the seat in it's original upright position. These people at the airlines need to ride in their own seats once in a while to see what it feels like..

September 03 2014 at 1:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I've flown over 20,000 miles on commercial airlines and I have never reclined my seat. I have never been uncomfortable in the seat in it's original upright position.

September 03 2014 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rreggaeredkc

The ultimate responsibility should be with the airlines not the person in front of you or behind you. In today's world, people don't direct the problem to the original source! But they find plenty of scapegoats.

September 02 2014 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rreggaeredkc

I am one that rarely declines my seat as I am not a tall person. But there was a comment on here with someone saying the reclined seat was 12" away from that person's face. That seat would have to be at a 45 degree angle when seats only recline 2 inches from a 90 degree original angle.
Because I am a small person does not mean I don't encounter my own problems. Try sitting between two large people who become irritated if I need to use the restroom. They push the arm rest back and spill over into my seat. We all know what we are setting ourselves up for and I must take the good with the bad like everyone else. Otherwise, I would book a different seat, yes? I am required to take responsibility for my decisions. What is the point in my complaining if I made the choice that might make me uncomfortable?

September 02 2014 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suite310

I blame the airlines. Trying to squeeze every inch of space into dollars. There is no room between the rows for people to even begin to be comfortable.

August 31 2014 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

The seats recline. The only way to solve the problem these people have is to have seats that DON'T recline. Simple huh.

August 30 2014 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phil914

in first class---it's worse--the seats are bigger--but as soon as the person in front of you reclines--there is about 12 inches from seat to my face--especially when I'm not reclined

August 30 2014 at 6:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply