National Group to Kroger: No More Guns in Stores

Cites 16 shootings and numerous gun rights demonstrations

Grocery store giant Kroger is the biggest supermarket chain in America. But after numerous incidents involving gun rights advocates carrying firearms in its stores, a national group called Moms Demand Action has asked it to reexamine its position--and policies--on gun control.

"Kroger is an essential part of American moms' lives. When we take our kids to the supermarket to buy groceries each week, we expect to be safe and secure," Moms Demand Action founder Shannon Watts said in a statement. "We support the Second Amendment and responsible gun ownership, but ignoring incidences of gun violence in and around stores and allowing [gun rights] demonstrators to open carry loaded weapons through the same aisles that our children pick out their favorite cereals is unacceptable." The group's campaign, which asks the retailer to prohibit customers from bringing firearms into their businesses, was sparked by a photo of a Texas open carry group member wielding a long gun in a Kroger store. While Moms Demand Action has successfully gotten several other retailers to change their gun policies, including Target, Chipotle, and Jack in the Box, Kroger remains unswayed.

"We don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun," the retailer said in a statement Monday. "That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping."

The campaign takes issue with open carry groups, which have used Kroger stores as a site for gun rights demonstrations in which weapons are openly carried during shopping. In a statement, they also cited 16 shootings that have taken place at Kroger stores in the last two years, including an episode in which a woman fatally shot her husband in a Kroger parking lot before also shooting herself.

"As a mom, I can't trust that everybody who's carrying a gun got that gun safely or responsibly and is going to be able to use it in a really responsible way," Karen Hillis-Skipper, a member of Moms Demand Action, told WLWT.

The open carry groups on the other side of the debate have been firm in their opposition to Moms Demand Action's proposal, although their methods--like a video in which members brought assault rifles into a Chili's--have proven controversial even among gun rights groups.

"If a business prevents the carrying of firearms into their establishment, millions of gun owners simply take their business elsewhere," Open Carry Texas said in a statement. "We hope that Moms Demand Action and other gun control groups would do the same."

Moms Demand Action has released a petition asking Kroger to reverse its stance.

ectullis

Nobody likes to be told how to run their life.

September 08 2014 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richieblck

All I have to say is GUN HATERS AND CHICKENSHIT MOMS, get over it. The guy carrying a gun on his hip is no danger to you and your precious cargo. The person who is intent on committing a shooting in a public place will not bother to read the 'no guns' sign anyway.

September 05 2014 at 4:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
batsrfun

Truthfully,, If I was a bad guy and saw someone with an open carry,,,
That would be the 1st person I would take down..
So I don't see the point of letting people see your gun,, unless its a fashion statement.
Or you just want attention. Gun carry was never an issue till these open carry nuts made it one.

I have a CCW ,, have had it for years ,, And its never been a problem..

Thanks to the open carry nuts there are now metal detectors everywhere .. Now I get carded

September 05 2014 at 11:17 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to batsrfun's comment
ch3n02junkie

problem being not everybody can get a ccw.... open carry is the only way. as to the metal detector comment you're way off. you wouldn't need to detect because the weapon is in the open to see.

September 08 2014 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
batsrfun

What makes you gun nuts think that you have a right to carry a gun on some else's private property?

September 05 2014 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to batsrfun's comment
richieblck

I'm no 'gun nut' but I am a gun owner and train weekly with various firearms. I don't think anybody ever said there is a right to pack heat on private property but it should be up to the owners and not a bunch of chickens who live in fear of the next shooting rampage. Trust me, an open or concealed carry permit holder is not looking to shoot up your store. Its most likely your own teenage son or one of his friends who would do that.

September 05 2014 at 4:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ch3n02junkie

they let anybody on the land and in the store. they wouldn't be in business otherwise. if they choose to discriminate against a group that's their choice.... they can deal with the issues their policies have created.

September 08 2014 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sparrca

I would feel a little uncomfortable shopping also,
if I saw someone walking around the store with
a shot gun or uzi.
I know gun advocates are saying that this would
help save us from the "bad guy", but really, how
often has this happened.

September 05 2014 at 3:02 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to sparrca's comment
machere

I am a retired Federal Law Enforcement officer and I carry my weapon every where I go and any store that tries to follow those morons who claim people who are trained and authorized to carry guns are a danger to them and their children is a lot of BS. It is the idiots who steal guns, have records and rob and kill that they need to fear. Those people will carry guns without permission and with intent to do harm. Those of us who are trained and carry can at least protect them if they are assaulted by the idiots. Moat of the idiots who have killed in schools, military bases, etc. have been proven to be liberal Democrats and some probably belong to this mom group. There are plenty of moms with kids that I know who carry guns and they are trained and proficient in the use of those guns and also keep their kids away from their guns. Thanks Kroger for following the state laws in which your stores operate. There are more people carrying guns now than not and it is a proven fact that states that allow carry have far less person on person crimes than those states that are Liberal and have strict gun control laws.

September 05 2014 at 12:07 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jones3731

What is Kroger to do? Have their employees frisk customers as they enter. What a bunch of bozos. Moms Demand Action- another anti-constitutional leftist organization trying to ram their perverted views down a private business's throat. Way to go Kroger-tell them to kiss off and shop elsewhere.

September 04 2014 at 10:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jones3731's comment
batsrfun

I think they are more concerned with open carry.. What makes you think that you have a right to carry a gun on someone else's private property.

I thought you right wingers were all for property rights... Or is that only when you aren't trying to force your perverted views down someone else's throat,,, Amazing that you don't see your own hypocrisy

September 05 2014 at 11:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
batsrfun

If you want to carry a gun in the open all the time,, Join the military,, or become a cop,, otherwise you're just a poser.

You want to protect us all from the "bad guys" .. Be a cop,, or enlist,, ,, You'll have all the guns you could ever want,

September 05 2014 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to batsrfun's comment
Troy

it's my right to defend myself I'm worried about' not so much defending you. Average police response time is well beyond the time it takes for you to be dead so they just show up to write the names of the dead down and report it to their next of kin.

September 08 2014 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
chknpkr

Kroger & all these other companies can kiss my ass. Also these BOZOS who want to walk around w/ a weapon on their hip or carry some type of long gun into a public place are just a bunch of idiots in my opinion. I have had a CCW for many years & my pistol goes where I go unless prohibited by Federal Law. Why would I want to expose my firearm to anyone? It is hidden for a purpose. If I need to pull it out to save my life or others, I do not want the bad guy to know I have a weapon. I do not want to walk around, protest places of business carrying a weapon just to be cool. These schmucks give us legally carrying a weapon that is concealed bad reputation. I can open carry where I live but why would I want to scare the **** out of people wherever I went? If I had a badge on my hip that could be seen next to my firearm, then it would be a different situation. These open carry freaks need to grow the hell up!!!

Also, the Moms Demand Action Group need to quit their wining little asses because all they are doing is getting their panties in a wad stuck up their anuses. One of them may thank a person carrying a concealed firearm from keeping some deranged anti-social maniac from kidnapping them & their kid & taking them somewhere to do terrible things to.
There are so many ****** up people w/ sick minds in our society who do not care for anything but theirselves. They will kill, rape, torture & also eat a person & think nothing of it. That kind of person has no feelings & will kill a person just as easy as you & I can drink a soda & not think nothing about it.

September 04 2014 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to chknpkr's comment
batsrfun

Open carry is a power trip,, They want people to be afraid of them. That's the whole idea of letting others see your gun,,, But the fact is it makes them less safe,, If I were a bad guy ,, knowing who is armed is a plus.

September 05 2014 at 11:11 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
batsrfun

The bad guy always picks the time , the place and the means... If you show your gun, youre an idiot. These open carry people are looking for confrontation

September 05 2014 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
V I D E O

Peope are taking life in general far too serious. In a hundred years we'll all be dead anyway ... live for the MOMENT and live HARD.

September 04 2014 at 2:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
scoutmdan

Licensed handguns carried by law abiding citizens - create safer environments.

Stop the disinformation.

September 04 2014 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to scoutmdan's comment
batsrfun

Everyone is a law abiding citizen until they aren't... anyone who carries a gun should have to go thru a complete psych evaluation ,, just like cops do,, before being allowed to carry a gun.. They should also be required to attend classes on use of deadly force,,, Otherwise you have no business carrying a gun and aren't qualified to carry one

September 05 2014 at 11:06 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to batsrfun's comment
Troy

Uhhh Batsrfun look up the rules for obtaining a concealed carry, you will see that we are required to have everything you just mentioned. We also have to show we can actually hit what we are aiming at.

September 08 2014 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Troy

I will say I disagree with their open carry policy, however lumping all gun owners into this group is as unjustified as lumping all those against it into one group.

September 08 2014 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down