Revealed: The Haircut Worth A Lifetime of Free Fried Chicken

Sculpting an iconic figure on a patron's head won the barber a payoff he never expected.

Barber Miguel Rosas is used to getting attention for his hair styling. The Moline, Ill. barber has won awards for his work, according to WQAD-TV. And he's built a good business, as his New Style Barber Shop went from its opening in 2007 to supporting eight barbers today. Since he started cutting hair when he was 13 years old, Rosas has received many tips, but none like this: free meals from KFC for life, WQAD reported. And it all came from a recent cut he did for a customer.

Facebook/New Style Barbershop
Facebook/New Style Barbershop

Facebook/New Style Barbershop
Rosas is good with a razor, scissors, and a comb, as you can see from the Steve Jobs portrait inside the Apple logo and the 3D creature. He creates art in his patrons' hair and has won 19 trophies - 12 first place - for his work. But what caught the eye of KFC was that recent portrait of the company's iconic Colonel Sanders character.

KFC was originally started as Kentucky Fried Chicken by a real man called Harland Sanders, who was given the honorary title of Kentucky Colonel in 1935 for his culinary work, according to the site ColonelSanders.com. With his white hair and goatee and wearing his trademark white suit, he became the image of the eventual franchise chain.

It was the face of KFC that Rosas put onto the head of a young man. Later that same day, he and his client went to a local branch.

"All the employees came up to us and started taking pictures of the design," Rosas told WQAD. The district manager heard, saw the design, and said that the company might want to get the image onto its website and possibly in a commercial. And then the manager handed him a stack of free meal coupons.

"He gave me a big old stack of [coupons for] free KFC meals and he's, like, 'As soon as you run out, call me and I'll send you more.'"

Rosas is thinking bigger than his already busy shop and might like to also open a barber school one day. (He attended one while still in high school.)

Cutting and drawing designs onto people's heads has gained in popularity, as people wear the famous and infamous as part of a hair style. Carpenter-turned-barber Rob Ferrel is another example who has gained attention for his portraits, particularly of entertainment and sports figures. He said that creating a work of art on someone's head is like "trying to draw on a baseball."

Judy

Now thats TALENT nice to see he is using it. I have seen many talents go down the drain. And thank you for doing your charity work. kudos for you.

September 07 2014 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kose Nakanishi

you gotta love that. He should be offering to do these services via digital markets. I can think of so many classical asian artworks that would be a great challenge for his amazing talent. But watch out for the free KFC for life! That'll do no good for your cholesterol levels.

August 20 2014 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Tee

DAMN!!! that's all i can say about him. talk about beyond skillful tho w/the cuts. would've loved to have gotten that prize, myself, from KFC.

August 20 2014 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sssprayfoam

is kfc going to pay for the heart attack from clogged kfc arteries

August 20 2014 at 5:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobby

When I go into a barber shop I want the guy to so what >>>>>I<<<<

August 20 2014 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joanpolsino

I want him to give me that iguana haircut! I'm crazy about iguanas...lol

August 20 2014 at 2:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
BJ

Great job Miguel, you're one talented guy... If you get tired of the KFC, give some of the coupons to the homeless...

August 20 2014 at 1:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joi

Your "green" is showing, tisk tisk. Who's to say a person will eat KFC chow every day 'til they die if it's free? It will become boring and tasteless in a short amount of time and they'll want new different tasting foods. They'll go elsewhere to eat, pay for it, and may get KFC free food at much later dates again. I love Filet Mignon steak but could not eat it every day of my life until I die and I feel that most people feel that way about their favorite food too. We need "selection" in our lives for without it, life would be a real drag. As for giving a job to people with lots of tattoos and oddball haircuts and colors, there are jobs that they can get as long as it's not in the White Collar World. We don't want to have a Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, etc. with zany body styles working on or with us now would we? Many other jobs don't matter what the person looks like, there's room for everyone. Now stop being jealous for not being the one that came up with the idea of having the Colonel's mug on the back of your head. They were pretty smart to come up with the idea so I hope they enjoy his food as long as they can. America means "Freedom", how easily you forget this. Shame on ya!!

August 20 2014 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marian

Like with tatoos.... I would not hire someone with their hair cut like that....That's why this nation has fallen lower than low were morals are concerned.... Obviously these people don't want to work, they have Obama doling out my hard earned tax money to them in the form of food stamps, and WIC.... GOD SAVE AMERICA before it is too late....

August 20 2014 at 12:15 AM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
toddisit

Enjoy the grease, I ain't going back to KFC ever!

August 20 2014 at 12:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply