Baseball GM Takes Prostate Exam in Front of Stadium

Sings "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

Andy Milovich, general manager of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans in South Carolina, has just taken the term "inside baseball" to a whole new level. Milovich pledged to take a prostate exam on his team's Prostate Awareness Night, and on Thursday he did--on camera, in front of a packed stadium. While singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
"It wasn't bad," Milovich told ESPN.com. "The doc was done maybe 15 seconds into the song. I think my next exam is going to be a significant letdown."

The procedure was filmed in the stadium's radio booth, with Milovich shot from the neck up and broadcast on the stadium's scoreboard. His physician, Dr. Glenn Dangi, described the experience--which was punctuated by thousands of foam fingers passed out to men in the stadium over 18--as unique.

"I did exams in prisons for three years and New York City for 17 years, and this was a first," he said.

Milovich, meanwhile, hopes the stunt will alleviate some of the stigma surrounding prostate exams (more than 30,000 men die from prostate cancer in the United States each year, according to the American Cancer Society).

"The amount of people, who are either prostate-cancer survivors or people who have lost family members to prostate cancer, who have said what tonight meant to them has been overwhelming," said Milovich.

Milovich originally pledged to take the exam if a local, cancer-stricken ten-year-old's Facebook page got more than 4,000 likes. As for the game, the Pelicans beat the Frederick Keys 5-4.

donmarste

I beg to differ with those who think a DRE is useless. My husband was diagnosed last week with early prostate cancer because not one but two different urologists FELT an abnormality on his prostate. He has a NORMAL PSA level and a normal size prostate. A 12 point biopsy yielded ONE positive area and 3 with atypical cells. We are in the process now of discussing options. My husband is 67 years old and has been very diligent about his yearly PSA and DRE. It can and does save lives. Be in charge of your medical fate guys.

July 25 2014 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
entheoscht

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO THIS COUNTRY??
Prostate exams in public? He needs to be arrested.
WHO would want to watch this?

July 25 2014 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wrascil

I have always been against a man sticking his finger in my exit ramp, but I am opening up to the idea of an Asian woman doctor with fingers the size of a pencil. although I have not fully grasped the idea as of yet, the men in my extended family die from high oil pressure so I don't see the need to me sexually violated by some guy on a whim that I might have a problem down the road

July 25 2014 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wrascil's comment
pm0501

I've got a female doctor so..........

July 25 2014 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elysianfields08

take the test . A good doc and its a breeze . Then take the blood test twice a year . They can cure prostate cancer with radiation .

July 25 2014 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dfoster

The digital rectal exam is a useless procedure. It fails to detect 95% of rectal cancer! and has been found to be of NO value in reducing prostate cancer deaths. It's use borders on quackery.

July 25 2014 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ffjsb

That's just idiotic. Any man who has any common sense already knows you need to get regular checkups.

July 25 2014 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dccb3

no one should die from Prostate Cancer in this day and age. Prostate exams and PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) blood screens are quick and easy. early detection is key.

July 25 2014 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dccb3's comment
dfoster

Read the medical literature! The PSA test is more harmful than helpful and is "Category D". NO treatment procedure has been shown to be effective in reducing prostate cancer deaths or significantly increasing lifespan, and the treatments cause impotency or urinary incontinence in 75% of patients.

July 25 2014 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply