Four-Year-Old Banned From Donut Shop For Asking Inappropriate Question

Kid asked a customer if she was pregnant

Be warned, four-year-olds of the world: you do not mess around in this donut shop. According to WFSB, young Justin Otero was reportedly 86'd from a Monroe, CT Doughnut Inn after asking one customer if she was pregnant--a question management seemingly interpreted as, "Are you pregnant, or do you just really like donuts?" The woman was not pregnant.
"My response was 'Oh my goodness, I'm so embarrassed, I'm so sorry'," said the boy's mother, Rebecca Denham.

The woman accepted the apology, telling Denham it was "no problem," but the donut store's management was not so quick to forgive--as evidenced Tuesday morning, when Denham was allegedly told that she was allowed in the store, but her four-year-old son wasn't.

"She said, 'he's not allowed in here,' and I looked around, and said, 'him?' and she said 'yeah, he's rude'," Denham said, adding that she was also "screamed at."

So does little Justin understand what's going on? "Sort of," said Denham, who is chalking the whole thing up as a learning experience and planning to take their business elsewhere. "Some people, unfortunately, are quick to pass judgment," she said.

That's an important life lesson. Although, as Doughnut Inn management would probably see it, so is "don't ask random women if they're pregnant."

Krystal

Another stupid parent who feels the need to publicize a non-event. Have fun spending the rest of your life defending a non issue involving your child.

October 16 2014 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joelmedicwalker

The innocence of a childs remark should not be taken so seriously , because it is often misunderstood or intrepeted as an insult to others that are not mature enough themselfs to realize that a child speaks through what he see's rather then what should be spoken.
I boycott you Donut owner, along with all you other jerks that condem this child. Shame on you !!!!

September 25 2014 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mac

Four-year-olds are not born knowing what is rude and what isn't. The store clerk was an idiot for thinking the kid's indiscreet question was deliberately rude.

September 17 2014 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elysa Moulding

I noticed in the comments that some thought it was okay to insult someone who is over weight that it is their problem they are that way. If the comment from the child was racial would the commentees think that people are just being "sensitive"? I also think the comment reflects attitudes he hears at home.

September 07 2014 at 5:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
senileconundrum

I'm with the donut shop -- I knew better at 4 than to approach an adult (or ANYONE) and ask a question like that - my Mama taught me better manners (THANKS MOM) ... if his parents had taught him to use discretion, respect, - better yet - don't talk to strangers -- this would not be an issue .... this is just another example of a brat in the making - the result of lazy parenting - what's next "why are you in a wheelchair" - or to someone with a working dog stomping that little foot and insisting "why can't I pet your dog" or to the "natural" woman "why don't you shave your legs" or to a cancer patient "why are you bald" - these writers are correct in that it's NOT the 4-year olds fault - at least not yet -- but maybe this will strike a chord with the kid next time since OBVIOUSLY his mother isn't interested in teaching him right from wrong

August 25 2014 at 10:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to senileconundrum's comment
Mac

A parent has no way of teaching a four-year-old how to respond to every possible situation, unless they have been told to never talk to adults, ever- or to not speak within the hearing of nearby adults. You need to read Art Linkletter's "Kids say the Darnedest Things." Bill Cosby had a TV show by that name in the 1990s, too.

September 17 2014 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

The boy wasn't only 4 yo, get a life. I've made the same mistake asking a women how many months she is pregnant. She was FAT, with a big stomach. Maybe it can be a wake up call for the obese women to lose weight.

August 22 2014 at 3:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Ann

Unfreaking believable. He's four years old! Well, Donut Inn. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll remember not to go THERE.

August 21 2014 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
California Granny

Oh my goodness. Apparently that shop owner has no children for " they ask darnest questions, without been rude. "
Hey , he is only 4 years old. That little guy has a long way to go be politically correct yet, but how can adult be so heartless for him. Shop owner is definitely on the wrong side of a track. Bad policies over there. I would take my business elsewhere in a hurry too.

August 19 2014 at 4:22 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
newacct1112002

I've made that mistake myself as an adult!

August 19 2014 at 3:26 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
freeradicals

The parents lack of parenting let the little brat run his mouth without discretion. Four or not, teaching respect will keep him appropriate. This child shouldn't be approaching strangers to learn about their lifestyles. Little Justin will be the bane of every handicapped person.

August 19 2014 at 2:14 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply