Would You Jump Ship From Work If You Hit the Jackpot?

What most people would do may surprise you

excited business woman happy...
Shutterstock

By Debra Auerbarch, CareerBuilder Writer

Have you ever dreamt that you won the lottery, stormed into your boss's office and yelled, "I quit!" (along with some expletives, perhaps?), and then set sail on your new yacht for a trip around the world?

What if that dream became a reality, and you really did hit the jackpot? Would you leave the professional world behind, or would any part of you miss the mental stimulation and feelings of accomplishment that being in the workforce brings?

According to a new CareerBuilder survey, a majority of workers would in fact stay put. Fifty-one percent report that, even if they didn't need a job financially, they would still work after winning the lottery.

Turns out, other factors motivate people to work beyond financial security. When asked why they would stay employed after winning the lottery, the most common reasons include:
  • I would be bored if I didn't work – 77 percent
  • Work gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment – 76 percent
  • I want financial security aside from the financial winnings – 42 percent
  • I would miss co-workers – 23 percent

Continue to work, but where?
While many employees say they'd still work if they had the winning ticket, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd stay where they are. Just 30 percent of workers would stay in their current job after winning the lottery.
Perhaps that's because, if given the choice, they'd rather follow a passion. Only 15 percent of workers report they are currently working in their dream job, and another 36 percent say that while they're not quite there yet, they believe they'll be there someday.

Quitting with class
Sure, it may be a nice dream to quit in a grand way, but most workers realize that it's not worth burning bridges, even if they won't need to work again. In fact, most employees would bow out from their current jobs respectfully.
When asked how they would quit their jobs, the most common response was to give two weeks' notice or even more if the employer needed extra time to find a replacement (48 percent). Other popular answers include:
  • Give two weeks' notice and leave after two weeks – 31 percent
  • Resign that day without giving notice – 13 percent
  • Tell off the boss and air all grievances – 3 percent
  • Not show up to work the next morning without formally quitting – 2 percent

So the next time you're buying a lotto ticket, consider whether you'd truly be ready to walk away from work or if perhaps you'd use your financial windfall as an opportunity to pursue your dream job.

Find jobs | Post your résumé

Linda

No, I love my job.

July 21 2014 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maynardsheaff

I work on a hundred year old operating steam locomotive......I love my job.......Lottery or not.....I'm staying.

July 20 2014 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merstockgto

I am retired but if I had it it big during my working years I would have invested the winning funds in the stock market like I have since 1980 and keep working for some years.

July 20 2014 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

Yes, I would quit my job and allow someone else to be employed full-time in that position. However, I would start my own "business" in the form of a huge scholarship foundation, community service project, or a research/cure for some human need. Cheers, everyone!

July 20 2014 at 1:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DonTom

IMO, if one doesn't need a paycheck, don't take it away from somebody who does. Get a volunteer job if you must work. There's not enough jobs around for people to hog them up who don't need the money.

I am retired and now will refuse to work for a paycheck. It would be unfair to those who really need the paycheck.

-Don-

July 20 2014 at 12:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ame5735008

I would not stop working , I would buy the business I worked at and do things my way

July 20 2014 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

If it was a life changing amount of money, of course I would quit. It's what you do with the winnings that really makes the difference in a winner's life. It has been studied and usually within 5 years the big winners are again broke. Only an idiot would blow that much money without first investing at least half of it in something that would provide a never-ending income! Then again, there is a very large business called AMSCOT that proves that most people obviously don't have a clue how to handle their money! They go get $500 without a credit check not realizing that they have to pay it all back next week PLUS $69. Payday advances should be outlawed to protect the ignorant!

July 20 2014 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

If I ever won a very large sum of money I wouldn't quit, defiantly not for a while until I saw where my money will go and what it can do, who I can help and things like that. My mortgage will be paid off, and so would our car loan, but after that we'll wait and see, I would be bored for sure if I quit, so I just may go for voulenteering with people who can't do for them selves, there's a lot of people who need help with every day things, I would LOVE to have free time to do that.

July 19 2014 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigwave48

i would hire a maid, a hooker, a driver, a friend, someone to play like they liked me, and hire someone to laugh
at my jokes. Buy a gas guzzling truck. Hire a cook, live on the beach, be a bum, grow beard, smoke pot. stop
shaving, get rid of the fat wife.

July 19 2014 at 11:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply