Chrissy Teigen Was Fired From a Forever 21 Modeling Job For Being 'Fat'

Teigen: "They suck and I hate them."

2014 Billboard Music Awards - Arrivals
Getty Images

Supermodel Chrissy Teigen has been in the news lately thanks to her appearance in her husband John Legend's "You & I" video, a viral smash that explores body image issues in unexpectedly sensitive fashion. If there's one easy criticism of the video, it's that Teigen's statuesque beauty slightly undercuts its message of self-acceptance. But a recent interview with Du Jour reveals that Teigen too has struggled against the impossible standards of the modeling world, and was once fired by retailer Forever 21 because they thought she was too heavy.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

"They booked me directly when I was much younger and I showed up on set, they asked me if they could take a photo," said Teigen. "And they shoot that photo off to my agency who then calls me as I'm sitting in the makeup chair and they say, 'You need to leave right now, they just said you are fat and you need to come get your measurements taken.'"

Once again, we are talking about a woman who looks like this:

Spike TV's
Getty Images

Fortunately, Teigen has maintained her trademark humor about the incident. As she told one fan on Twitter:

The 28-year-old model has appeared on several magazine covers this year, including Sports Illustrated's 50th Anniversary Swimsuit issue, and is also a guest judge on MTV's cooking show 'Snack Off.' She told Du Jour that her favorite food is "My mom's scalloped potatoes, layered with bacon and chunks of ham." Can't argue with that.

Also, if we haven't scared you out of working in fashion yet, we've got some job listings in that industry over here.

Filed under: Firings
Mack Gelber

Mack Gelber

Associate Programming Manager

Mack Gelber is a Brooklyn-based writer and editor who has covered entertainment for AOL TV, and contributed fiction to Joyland Magazine and the Bushwick Review. He is a graduate of Oberlin College, where he studied creative writing. Twitter: @mackgelber

leonard c madsen

MS Teigen I would be happy they did. Do you want to look like a woman men adore withbeautiful face and body or be a fashion ***** who has a beautiful face and a body like a young boy.

14 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CAMERON

You call that. FAT. ? Really.

Yesterday at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sgvette

If you want to get paid, and paid well, to look a certain way then dont whine about those paying you having certain very difficult to reach standards. If you dont want to be criticized for your appearance, work in a different industry.

They dont pay beer league softball players to play outfileld for the Yankees, either.

Monday at 1:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sgvette's comment
leonard c madsen

Ya and they want a unisex world where all fashion models look like young boys

14 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Newquest

It's her cheeks, they make her face look fat. Inplants? Not sure. When you become a model it's a Given that you have to keep your weight within a certain range. Everyone knows it and it should not have been a suprise. They have rules that they must follow and they do make the Big Bucks!

Saturday at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gisselle17

OMG! A model being judged by the client based on their looks???? The sky is falling! She is a model. Her job is based on what she looks like. She should be well aware of this by now. This story is one sided. Her body is not fat but perhaps like another said maybe she was a size 2 and they had prepared for a size 0. Or maybe they were referring to her face, which honestly photographs quite large at times in comparison to her body. Miss Teigen is constantly on the defense about her looks. If she cannot handle the criticism, maybe she should find herself a new career. And as many would agree with I am sure, most would be happy to be as "fat" as her. She should get some class and ignore the ugly comments. And watch her potty mouth too (ever seen her twitter remarks?). Not very lady like.

Friday at 10:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
barryaclarke

If Chrissy Teigen is called fat, I wonder what they would label as skinny?..............

July 16 2014 at 6:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
reedonald

Years ago when I was much younger and working my first real job after graduating high school, a lot of my co-workers were black -- this was the early 60's. And when they said a girl was "phat" they meant she was really sexy and good looking. If there was ever someone who fit that label, it would be Chrissy Teigen. That girl is phat. Even though I will turn 70 soon, just looking at her picture gets my pulse going.

July 16 2014 at 4:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
rustysurfboardz

You only hear her side.. If the store had asked for a size "0" and had a bunch of clothes there in that size for her to model and the agency sent over a model that may be a size 2 or4, you could see where there would be a problem.. Its easy to condemn when there is only one side to the story.

July 16 2014 at 1:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ducklakeman

Fat is unattractive. BBW does NOT stand for Big Beautiful Woman. BBW stands for Bowling Ball Woman, for that is their body shape...... a bowling ball......

July 16 2014 at 12:38 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
larry

I can't believe Forever 21 fired this model because she is considered fat. With Kim Kartrashian and her Butt the size of Planet Pluto, and they fired Chsissy Teigen ??? What is this world comeing to ???

July 16 2014 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.