Store Manager Fired After Febreze Flipout Goes Viral

Alleged shoplifters confronted, sprayed with Febreze

A Saginaw, Mich. Family Dollar store manager who violently threatened an alleged shoplifter before spraying her with Febreze has been fired, TMZ reports.

The incident, captured on video last week, finds Gavyn Edlinger calmly confronting the alleged thieves (one of whom is visibly pregnant) before seemingly snapping and launching into a profane screaming fit. Then the Febreze comes out, and all bets are off.

"You maced her!" one woman repeatedly yells, while the other cries that she can't see.

The subjects of Edlinger's tantrum don't seem particularly amused, but Internet viewers most definitely are: the video has received over a million views since it was uploaded May 29. Nevertheless, senior management must not have been a fan of his anti-shoplifting tactics--they fired him six days later.

In a TMZ interview, Edlinger said that Family Dollar's policies require employees to ignore shoplifters. And while he felt the incident was unfortunate, he didn't think his actions were completely out of line.

"I would never want to create harm to anyone," said Edlinger. "But at the end of the day, I'm a hardworking guy. I worked my way up to be a salaried store manager with that company. I don't regret it. Girl, you needed some Febreze!"

Edlinger added that Family Dollar cited no specific reasons for his termination aside from the incident seen in the video. He's currently looking for work.

"I have not had any offers," he told TMZ. "Hopefully Febreze might want to offer me a commercial."

> Top 10 Companies Hiring Managers (at other places)

Matt

So what's my incentive to walk into a Family Dollar store and pay for anything if the employees are trained to ignore me? With that frame of mind, I could litterally walk inside, fill a shopping cart and walk past everyone on my way out saying, "Thanks."

October 29 2014 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pepelaputr

Anyone want to take bets that Family Dollar has never told the insurance company that handles their inventory loss account about their "policy"?

June 11 2014 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystle Fire

We now live in a liberal world were bad now equals good and is rewarded. Corporate actually rewards the shoplifters by allowing them to take things without paying for them and employees can only watch and say nothing. I do not envy ANY manager working at that store since shoplifters just got the go ahead from corporate to take whatever they want and are rewarded for it!

June 11 2014 at 10:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Crystle Fire

How can they say to ignore shoplifters. SO, all you shoplifters or shoplifters to be, go to this dollar store and have a great time taking whatever you want. Corporate apparently wants you to do it!! I do not envy any future managers of that store if that is the mindset their corporate has. Insane!

June 11 2014 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
abcstarfox

I am amazed at how many posters are defending the
shoplifter, BECAUSE....the manager is gay.

There are a good number of gay men and women in the millitary.

I have to wonder, how many shoplifters are in the military
defending your hide.

June 09 2014 at 12:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
abcstarfox

While two wrongs do not make a right, I am sorry he's out of work.
Now, if she was / is guilty, she will do it again tomorrow and he will
still be out of a job.

June 08 2014 at 11:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Trader X Trader

I just thought of something else.

My guess Family Dollar tells all employees to ignore shoplifters, not just the manager.

However, said manager likely will get fired/written up/yelled at by upper management if too much shoplifting occurs. Even 10% inventory "gone" is likely enough to put the store in the red when you consider other costs of doing business.

So he is told to sit there, let them steal at will and and then gets blamed for it and fired if "too much" is taken and it affects profits.

June 07 2014 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trader X Trader

Why would the policy be to ignore shoplifters?

That seems stupid.

If shoplifters know you are going to ignore/do nothing, that encourages them into your store.

At least call the police or notify the store security guard to confront the shoplifters once outside and hold them until police come.

June 07 2014 at 11:49 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
nichole

Seriously doubt Febreeze will damage the baby (If she's really pregnant), so I could care less about the THIEF being pregnant or her being a woman. SHE put herself AND the baby in the position to be harmed by actively stealing from a store. And who cares if the manager is gay? He told her to leave and she kept running her mouth. Hell, I'd donate to his legal defense team.

June 06 2014 at 10:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mosin53

Not confronting shoplifters?...Is this businnes suicide by theft?..It is no wonder that many stores have such bad inventories, resulting in emplotees not getting a yearly raise---Yup--really good sense shown with that policy...DUH!!!!

June 05 2014 at 4:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply