25 Companies With The Best Pay and Benefits

In-house laundry, anyone?

Would-be customers wait impatiently for a Costco
Getty ImagesCostco, the only retailer to make the list, is known for having better pay and benefits than its competitors.

Glassdoor.com has just released its report on the companies with the best compensation and benefits, drawing on its vast supply of employee data to create a definitive list of some of the best places to work today.

The tech sector dominates the list, with Google grabbing the top spot while Adobe and Facebook land in the top five. Maybe it has something to do with those free lunches we keep hearing about (although the IRS may soon put a stop to that).

Slightly more surprising is the presence of Costco, which ranked number two overall despite being the only retailer on the list. The wholesaler has made a name for itself as the "anti-Walmart," rejecting the notion that large-scale retailers have to skimp on salaries and benefits in order to remain competitive.

> Find a job at Costco

In addition to compensation, the survey evaluated subsidized healthcare plans, 401(k), holiday pay, and flexible schedules, as well as less typical perks like free food, transportation, and in-house laundry services. Click through the slideshow below to check out the complete list.

Joseph

The best companies I have ever worked for are the ones I owned, try it you'll like it

4 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
computergolfguy

Glad to see Chevron on this list. Their pay is above the industry standard, and employee benefits are truly outstanding. Best employee stock plan around, I believe. I was treated with courtesy and respect in all the years I was with chevron. The multi-national workforce is highly professional in both the upstream and downstream, and their management team continues to be world class. An excellent employment opportunity in the USA and in 38 foreign countries. Women and minorities are well represented across the board including upper level staff and management. Chevron common stock (CVX) is a solid portfolio brick in employee retirement planning and an excellent value for the non-employee shareholder as well- (check their history); this is truly a well-managed organization top-to-bottom. As a Chevron retiree, Chevron contributes annually to the non-profit where I volunteer, and to communities wherever they operate. They give a lot each year to charities, and I am proud to be associated with this company.

Wednesday at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joper201

There are is a great many ignorant people on this thread.
COSTCO does NOT carry the diverse line of products other retailers do.
Costco earned 2 BILLION DOLLARS just from their membership fee's last year.
That's before they sold one gallon of gas or two gallons of milk.
If you have ever shopped at Costco you would notice the quality of employee they hire.
They are all well groomed, dressed appropriately, well spoken, very courteous and helpful.

There is absolutely no way to compare Costco to any other retailer as they are more selective in their hiring, carry a less products and make billions from their membership fee's annually.

Wednesday at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOSE--USMC--0311

IF COSCO PAYS THEIR WORKERS $ 15 AN HOUR PLUS A GREAT PENSION AND HEALTH BENEFITS , WHY CAN'T OTHER COMPANIES DO THE SAME ????

Monday at 11:01 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JOSE--USMC--0311 's comment
Happypoolprune

Because most of the work at costco is physical labor - and not an entry level position.

Monday at 1:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
redandwhitenomad

Are you high or what? Microsoft just laid off a bunch of people.
It would figure Monsanto would be there. They have been killing us for years.
This entire list is like comparing apples to oranges.

August 21 2014 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to redandwhitenomad's comment
JOSE--USMC--0311

MICROSOFT DID FIRED 18,000 PEOPLE, BUT IS ASKING CONGRESS FOR REPLACEMENTS...MICROSOFT WANTS H-1-B VISA WORKERS FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES, THEY WORK FOR A LOT LESS MONEY...

Monday at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JOSE--USMC--0311 's comment
joper201

Do your research!!!!!!
They have a much better education.

Wednesday at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
drtmalek

Verizon is the most dishonest company in my experience as a custuemr of over 25 years. Charges are bogus and they cheat.

July 18 2014 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
setanta54s_back

LM@O !
and all the little dweebs PAY FOR THIS and are simply soooooooo superior to all refusing to PAY TO SHOP there or those that simply CANNOT PAY TO SHOP THERE.

how come co$tcO doesn't open their doors TO ALL ONCE A YEAR ?
LM@O ! why.... they have to KEEP OUT THE RIFF RAFF.

WHAT'S THEIR ANNUAL membership fee now ?

June 15 2014 at 11:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to setanta54s_back's comment
Just_Curious

Yes. I pay for the privilege of having people who are paid a living wage with benefits, provide me with service. Same ones in my local store for over 10 years.

I pay way more in tax dollars for your discounted shopping at Walmart...food stamps... subsidized healthcare... and really scary posts on the internet. so can we send you the bill?

June 16 2014 at 8:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Happypoolprune

Sounds like you were turned down for a membership - too bad - sour grapes. For the money I save over Walmart - the dues pays for itself - and then some. Tough luck if you don't have the credentials to shop there -

Monday at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlbesa

I know for sure that age is definately a discirmination factor in hiring. My son is experiencing it and has been for over a year. Also being unemployed for a period of time does not help. Doesn't matter about previous work longevity. It all comes down to who you know and sometimes that does not even help!

June 11 2014 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cortez

I work as a manager in one of the well know Hosptal in new york citiy, In year 2012, I host a think you party for my
staff of 268 Three tours. I work great people.

C Hi

June 02 2014 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RMS

Doesn't matter, if you are over 50 years of age, no one will hire you, despite having 30+ years experience and a degree. Age discrimination is alive and well.

May 28 2014 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RMS's comment
Happypoolprune

That's not so - I was hired at 61 - and my fiance was just recently hired at 62 - and not a minimum wage positions either - In fact I have a brother-in-law who had to go back to work and he's 75 - They welcomed him with open arms - it was a win-win situation - he is on medicare so they didn't have to worry about benefits.

Monday at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply