Women Are Using 'Rent-A-Gent' To Hire Men To Do Chores And Go On Dates

The next great job for grads?

ABC

By Caroline Moss

What can't money buy?

A service called Rent-A-Gent lets women choose a male companion from a list of "smart and handsome men."

For $200 bucks an hour, men can serve as handymen, dates, or personal chefs.

The only rule? The relationship can't get physical on the clock.

It has been written about previously, but now ABC 7 Chicago has a first-hand account of a woman named Marina who shelled out the dough for Eric on Rent-A-Gent.

Rent-A-Gent

Eric's profile on the site says he "loves the outdoors, culture and also active and social causes." He also suggested he'd be down for a rock-climbing date.

Marina says using Rent-A-Gent is easier than traditional dating sites because you're paying for a service instead of banking on feelings and mind games.

There are tons of guys on the site, divided into categories based on their profession.

Rent-A-Gent

After selecting, booking, and paying for two hours with Eric, he and Marina went rock-climbing.

"Two hours of fun," Marina says, "no strings attached."

But a dating expert tells ABC7 that this could hurt a woman's chance at finding true love - if you can just hire someone who's attractive, you may be dismissing potential suitors who want to make you happy without a price tag.

Rent-A-Gent's CEO, a woman named Sara Shikhman, says the interview process to become one of the site's "Gents" is rigorous - sometimes she can interview up to 100 men before finding one suitable guy.

Rent-A-Gent

When asked if her company simply exists to objectify men, Shikhman says "it's the modern world and we have lots of different options."

You can read ABC7's full story on Rent-A-Gent here, and watch the Nightline special on Rent-A-Gent from May 20th here.

David

Hi, I work for an event staffing company, I work as a Banquet Chef,large BBQ's- table side carving/cookingc, Server, Houseman.. Total gentalman work, I dress the part and work big events,Set-up,service and breakdown- I even Bartend large events and concerts. This only pays about $15 hr. - so this other agency sounds like a fantasy "Playdate".

June 02 2014 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victoria N.

No sex, while on the clock, but what about the gal that expects the sex after the clock time and after paying 200.???? The claws will grow long in 2 hrs. Hahah this must be the genius business of a Jewish girl!!!!!! SHMART!!!!! GOIYL.

May 30 2014 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I think the correct word is PROSTITUTE.

May 28 2014 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big Daddy

Everything is for sale, and everything is negotiable.

I think a quality person is rare. And if you're that quality person...then capitalize on it.

Most men are dogs, dirtbags and degenerates.

So, if you're a man, and you're NOT.....then why not cash in.
Accepting money for treating a women to a nice experience is not immoral or illegal.

No sex, so not gigaloism or prostitution.

A women who pays for a quality companion is not desperate...she's SMART.

Personally...I'm worth a thousand an hour, minimum.
Why? Cause I'm a nice guy, who treats women properly. i don't drink, smoke do drugs or commit crimes.
I have a good personality, good job, work every day and take care of my health and appearance, and of course, single. Good looking too.( which is the least important, but frankly....nobody wants to date Quazimoto, nice or not.)

I'm one in a thousand...$200 is a bargain.

Interested? bigblue62220@aol.com

62 220 are my height and weight.
White, funny, love dogs and WOMEN.
Divorced, 54 with 2 grown kids....who I adore.
And I love my mother.

$200 will be waived for the right gal.

May 27 2014 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Big Daddy's comment
Sandra

couldnt of said it better myself.

May 30 2014 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tadams5518

By inference, the pool of available males for social events is small and shallow if you eliminate the unshaven, untrimmed, ill-mannered, aesthetically challenged in that pool. Think team jersey wearing, backward baseball hat, pizza fed, beer aficianado who still plays video games at twenty eight years old.

This is why women become desperate enough to shell out cash for the assurance of correct use of ettiquite in public, sobriety and comfortable companionship. Its hard to catch a good fish in a small pool.

I can't criticize.

May 27 2014 at 10:03 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
fyehfdm

I smell desperate...

May 27 2014 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fyehfdm's comment
fwlrcj

desperate to find real gentlemen yeah

May 27 2014 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I'd hate to see what a hideous social train wreck that woman is. If you have to pay $200 an hour for someone to put up with being around you...You might have some problems. There are plenty of people out there just looking to hang out and dont need to get physical. Or if she just wanted to have fun and not be physical than perhaps make some female friends with the same interests. But hey, if she's willing to pay $200 an hour to hang out with a hot guy she picked off a website, good for the guy. I hope he gets most, if not all of that money to put up with being around such a person for 2 hours.

May 27 2014 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
fwlrcj

sounds like you're desperate and certainly not a gentleman to make this comment

May 27 2014 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nevadan99

Male hookers.

May 27 2014 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xxbrwneydgirl17

So, men are Rent-A-Gents, and women are prostitutes? Plus, I can get a "handyman" for a lot less than $200 an hour!

May 27 2014 at 9:30 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply