Employee Written Up For Hilarious Infraction

A certain '90s classic will never be the same

Imgur

Even if you deserve it, getting written up at work is among the more infantilizing experiences you can have as an employee. It's sort of like getting sent to detention, if detention came with the added risk of threatening the future state of your livelihood. But if you're going to sully your permanent record, you might as well do it with a bit of panache and a song in your heart, like this worker who had their writeup posted on Reddit.

In the unfortunate event that it's before your time, "This Is How We Do It" is a classic of the late, questionably lamented New Jack Swing genre of R&B. While we can understand someone's co-workers getting annoyed over this, we can't fault the offending employee's taste in music.

Other Redditors chimed in with their own stories of getting written up on the job, many of them testaments to the lengths people will go to stave off boredom:

Lousymom wrote:
"My buddy got fired from an inventory job once for counting everything like the Count from Sesame Street.

TheLetter10 wrote:
"I got fired as a tech once because I wrote all of my documentation in rhymes."

BurtReynoldsJr wrote:
"I used to get 'written up' at work for having fun all the time. It's not my fault that the pogo sticks I was unloading off the truck didn't have any packaging on them!"

Mildcorma wrote:
"I once got written up for not looking like i was working hard enough, and going home when my day had ended and not when everyone else thought it was "acceptable" to. I literally got told to sit and do nothing for another hour and make it look like I was working harder."

Another user mentioned a boss who reinterpreted The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" as the slightly less rousing "Lock the Taskbar"--which isn't quite as brilliant as "This Is How We Glue It," but it's close. To all other employees, though, you'd do well to take the advice offered here: "BE QUIETER."

pitahaya

I was terminated from Fedex because I went to lunch 1 minute late. I worked there for 17.5 years.

May 29 2014 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jpfmtka

I worked at a small community bank outside Minneapolis and was criticized by a supervisor for smiling and being too happy. Her plan to become bank president backfired and she "lost" her job. Everyone, and I mean everyone celebrated her exit.

May 28 2014 at 9:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rkane0271

The most unfair write-up for me is based on a great cultural prejudice of the American people. We loudly say we must respect the working man/woman, but if you WORK UP A SWEAT, you'll be complained about by customers and co-workers. If you try to ride public transit, they are allowed to eject you AND you don't get your fare back! When your friends and family tell you to wash more, this is sometimes counter-productive-you need to wash with the right soap! I went from age 16 to 33 before a dermatologist told that I neede to use a wash with a neutral pH- for me (and many others),plain water is better than most commercial products.

May 27 2014 at 6:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
tadams5518

So much story is missing.

With bull**** write ups there is always a back story to the event if you turn enough rocks over.

Only once was a write up ever attempted on me. It never reoccurred because I insisted on a essay form reply from me be included and that the reply be correctly responded to by my supervisor, (semi-literate sports fanatic). He couldn't write past endorsing the back of his paycheck so he had no hope of jousting with me on paper. He even tried to access management help in the effort. The laughter could be heard in the hallway.

I Wonder what's under the rocks in the story.

May 27 2014 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

The supervisor should have been written up for a lack of a sense of humor AND poor spelling (it's "gluing", not "glueing").

May 27 2014 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GusGus

I was given a day off with no pay, for taking to many days off with no pay, I laughed all the way home to start my three day weekend.

May 25 2014 at 10:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dorothytoto1956

LOL...i got written up for using too many post-it notes...LOL...what horses' asses my supervisors were....so glad i don't work there anymore...

May 21 2014 at 6:24 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

lol.

May 21 2014 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

The pictures of the write ups are from places where people with disabilities work. I know, my wife works with people with special needs and these notes look exactly the same as pictured. Just tell them to be quite, dont write them up unless they are doing something bad.

May 21 2014 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
petpetdon

Singing while you work? Might as well sing because you are just making minimum wage.

May 20 2014 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply