After Drunk Insult, Woman Drops 128 lbs, Turns Hooters Girl

An insult gave her the drive to transform her body and her life.

Hooters Restaurant Sign, Florida, USA

There is an old saying: What doesn't kill you makes you strong. In the case of Cearra Swetman, it was more like makes you thinner and helps you land a job as a Hooter's waitress, according to WFTX-TV.

Just a year ago, the southwest Florida resident weighed almost 250 pounds, according to KRON-TV. She was out to dinner with her family and was wearing a Hooters t-shirt. As they left the restaurant, some drunken stranger said, "You don't look like any Hooter's girl I've ever seen."

It was a nasty thing for one person to say to another. Some people might have just felt embarrassment or sought solace in a pint of ice cream. Not Swetman. "I'm a young woman and I didn't feel like a young woman," she said to WFTX. So she decided to change her life and do something maybe no one at the time would have believed possible: be hired by Hooters as a waitress, where managers choose staff for their physical attractiveness as well as skills.

"Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back and it finally made me realize, 'OK, I've got to do something,'" she said. "I lost 128 pounds and changed my body and changed my life."

WFTX, composite: Mack Gelber

A strict diet and some "lifestyle choices," according to the New York Daily News, did the trick. One year later and Swetman was a waitress at a Fort Meyers, Florida Hooters.

"I think it's about your mindset and a goal, and I had a goal in mind to have that physique, that figure," Swetman said to WFTX.

Not that her life has been devoted to getting slim, as she's far busier. Swetman has a part-time position at a local glass shop doing accounting and bookkeeping, according to WFTX. She's also finishing her bachelor's degree in business and plans to then go on to get her masters. It's a wonder she had any time to pay attention to what a stranger said in the first place. Plus, she's cut her hair short as a sign of solidarity with her sister, who is battling breast cancer.

Her advice for other people trying to overcome difficulties: "Don't give up. If you just keep that goal in mind and take small steps, you will get there one day." And that could translate into healthy, hot, successful, motivated, and happy.

Stephen

I would think that a person with that much self determination and dedication... should probably pick a better place to harvest the rewards of that determination ...than by being employed at Hooters.

October 13 2014 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anandaone

So, she needed to get insulted by someone who doesn't know or care about her to make a life impacting and improving decision like losing 128 lbs of unhealthy fat? She didn't know she had to lose that weight before?

October 13 2014 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raelanding

Losing 128 pounds in a year is not healthy. Especially when you consider she was only 250 pounds before, that's over half of her body weight. It doesn't matter what her "diet" was, it wasn't anything that should be copied.

July 24 2014 at 3:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to raelanding's comment
anandaone

"Only 250"? Those two words should not be in the same sentence.

October 13 2014 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randall Flagg

And how many surgeries did she have? Notice how they always omit that info? You can't drop 128 lbs without your body being destroyed. Once you balloon up like that your body is wrecked.....unless you got money.

May 23 2014 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flustered

Great Job!! I was hitting 400lbs, I got a second job as an exterminator to help pay for my sons school. I dropped 80 pounds in one summer and down another 20 so far this spring. Lots of stairs and walking, carrying etc.. Never felt better even though I have some more to go... Plus I really like what I am doing and meeting people. Get out there and find something you like to do that involves physical activity if you can.

May 15 2014 at 4:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
degroodtr

Great job girl!

May 15 2014 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ap

did anyone read the article? Sure her goal was to lose the weight and get hired by hooters- which she is as a standard to which society measures beauty. But she is also getting her Bachelors degree and hopes to get her masters afterwards. her hair is short as support for her sister who has breast cancer!

read before commenting.

May 15 2014 at 11:37 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
wwrangler818

Good job, now grow your hair out and look like a lady!

May 13 2014 at 2:03 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wwrangler818's comment
JohnnYuma

She looks 100% a Lady! Are you blind or just afraid of Beautiful women?

October 12 2014 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
albanyowlf

The world can afford to lose 128 pounds on a diet BUT no information about a diet to help more people just aboiut blah, blah, blha. One more uninteresting "news" avent.

May 08 2014 at 5:56 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to albanyowlf's comment
Tunertype

It's no secret magical method. All you have to do is decide to lose weight and do it. It's not easy, but it is well documented and extremely simple.... Diet & exercise.

May 10 2014 at 7:00 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Brittney Lee Holdman

Poor tony, he's got a lot of time. If you feel that badly about yourself, you should read a book, or get a job, or a hobby. That way, you can do more with yourself then trolling on AOL message boards. Oh! I have a great idea: you can learn to capitalize! Then you can write Tony instead of Tony.

May 08 2014 at 5:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply