Which State Gives The Chintziest Tips In America?

Average tip is 14 percent

Waiter sits sad on a diner booth.
Getty Images

Quartz has some bad news for you if you're a restaurant server in Nevada or New Jersey. A study they conducted using data provided by payment service Square reveals which states tip the highest and which the lowest, and the results are surprising, to say the least.

West Virginia came out on top, with an average tip of 20.1 percent, while Nevada, where the average tip is 14 percent, doesn't look so hot. For reference, the average national tip is 16.5 percent.

However, if we're talking about food trucks rather than restaurants, prospective mobile vendors would do well to move to Iowa, where tips rocket to nearly 25 percent. Pennsylvania and Georgia, meanwhile, are better avoided, with both tipping less than 15 percent on average.

> Find a restaurant job in West Virginia

Cafe tipping was also measured; South Carolina showed the most love for its baristas with 23 percent tips, while Hawaiians, who tip around 15 percent, would rather brew their coffee at home.

The study also covered whether patrons tip at all. It found that nearly 80 percent of Maine's customers tip--as opposed to a mere 42 percent of New Jersey's. And while it showed that only 57 percent of Americans tip overall, this might be skewed due to the fact that the study only covered establishments that use Square.

It also doesn't take into consideration tips like this one, which on its own should raise California's average a good three percent.

Check out the rest of the data here.

> Find a restaurant job in Maine

vincent.barnes1

In a restaurant I always tip but where do you draw the line ?I go to the deli they have a tip jar .go to starbucks who pay there employees 9.00 hr they want a tip .the local wawa the person pumping the gas wants a tip(state law all service centers are full service)...I know I would give the attended a tip if he did his job full service check the oil wash the window and not just stand there on your cell phone .that's the biggest problem leave the cell home or locked in your car and maybe do the job ....

May 13 2014 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RacingIndy500

I believe in decent tipping when decent service is provided by servers but it is horrifying when you learn how little these hard working men and women are paid. I'm not totally up to date on this but most servers are paid about $2.60 an hour and are expected to earn the difference between that and minimum wage in tips. Why don't those cheap buggars pay a decent wage. And no, meal prices wouldn't have to go up very much if they did.

May 13 2014 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilgtogirl

I don't tip food trucks. Sorry but if I am standing there with you waiting for it, you didn't perform a service for the tip. But if you are my waitress or pizza delivery guy, you love me. I tip way over the top. If you have to put a jar on the counter begging for tips, I will actually stop going to your restaurant.

May 08 2014 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike001va

some very interesting comments here.. I always tip 20% of the check, however, not including any sales tax. I will start tipping in cash though as I didn't know there is a hold back on the waiters/waitresses getting there money if I pay by credit or debit card. Here is a tip for them though.. although I still tip you the same.. don't walk by me numerous times and not even glance at my table, or my empty glass, or make me wait 15 minutes for my check. It is not a easy job I know.. and I appreciate that. dealing with multiple personalities, and sometimes from the same person takes a special person..

May 07 2014 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FriendtoAnimals

This is least likely statistic to measure accurately. They don't report all their cash tips. Only tips paid by credit card can be measured accurately.

May 06 2014 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stvhndyman

Perhaps Las Vegas patrons don't tip so well is because there are so many buffets. I don't tip as well at a buffet as I do at a full service restaurant.

May 06 2014 at 5:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pearltrans

Tips can be subtracted from minimum wage (credited against minimum wage). That's the law. Many of the comments below refer to this, but without stating it, so there is some confusion. It is unclear to me if this is always actual tips received, or imaginary tips attributed to the server.
My neighbor was a waitress all her working ife, and you could tell it from the damage to her feet. She had no retirement plan becasue she did not work in a union house. Her plan was to pay off a house so she could live on SSI, and she did, with good money management. Nowhere in the US can you pay both rent and food on SSI. But if you only have property taxes and utilities and maintenance and food and gasoline to pay, you can just scrape by.

May 06 2014 at 4:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Go RU !

Oh my! New Jersey is getting a bad rap. I don't know of anyone in this state who tips less than 20%, and never ran into anyone who doesn't tip at all. At least not in north Jersey which is the overflow area from NYC. Believe me, we are VERY generous here. Being a Democratic state full of unions, we are certain to be on the side of the worker! Come and waitress here, we love you. And we are the diner capitol of the world!

May 06 2014 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Go RU !'s comment
vincent.barnes1

I live in Jersey too and live at the shore . I see it often people not tipping .mostly out of towner's ( NY,PA, ) I guess we can thank MTV for bringing them here........

May 13 2014 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicwithag

I always give 20% and I guess I will always ,,, But all of us is helping make the restaurant owner rich . He gets out of paying is workers a fiar wage and We foot the Bill ... Good on American know how :0)

May 06 2014 at 3:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vicwithag's comment
mike001va

either way Vic.. it'll work the same . I imagine if the wage is enforced.. tips will cease, and the owners will raise your bill to cover the wage... I know many waiters/waitresses that bring home a way better wage than I ever brought home/ theirs being mostly tax free

May 07 2014 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ene210

There ARE restaurants here in WA state that actually split the tips the servers make to assistant management. I totally understand a server tipping out the busboy and the host/hostess, but I will NEVER understand how assistant management should get a share. I have this info because my son has been a server in several restaurants over the past 10 years as it's the only kind of job one can maintain while in a touring band and trying to get a photography business off the ground.
It's best to pay your bill with a debit/credit card and pay the tip in cash. Some restaurants keep those tips for a week or more before they disperse the tips to the servers and that can make or break being able to pay a bill or rent on time. Remember that your server NEVER gets a 40 hour work week! They are all part time help and they can be very limited for how many hours they can be scheduled. It's a rough one. Please be kind.

May 06 2014 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply