Careerexcuse.com: Is It Fraud?

Site provides phony job references for a fee

There's nothing particularly shady-looking about careerexcuse.com. A simple, if clipart-y logo, an actual phone number, clear explanations of services and pricing. But once you take a closer look at what's actually on offer, you can see why they occupy a considerable legal grey area.

For $125, careerexcuse.com will fabricate a career history you can use to fill out your resume. They'll create a phony website for a phony company, along with a phone number for a company representative waiting to serve as your phony reference.

"We will match your career field to one of our already established virtual companies!" they promise, forcing us to ask how an imaginary company can possibly be established.

The company, which also provides fake references for landlords and vendor applications, was founded by one William Schmidt after experiencing mass layoffs. The site describes itself as a utility for job-seekers who have been rendered unemployable by firings or long gaps in their resume.

To hear them say it, they're providing an important service to those stigmatized by the blight of unemployment. But not everyone sees it that way.

"I get lots of resumes, and I've seen people try to exaggerate it," Jack Dunn, Intel's campus relations manager, told KCRA. "They exaggerate the education, they exaggerate the experience. I see if fairly often, and it's unfortunate, because if you falsify information and you get hired, that could be grounds for termination."

While Career Excuse dodges claims of fraud by pointing out that a resume is not a legal document, that notion was shot down by employment attorney Phillip Mastagni, who told KCRA that lying to employers can put workers on shaky ground, especially those seeking state employment. He also pointed out that victims of workplace sexual harassment can lose a case if the company points out that they have a history of lying.

"Those little white lies that started out the career can come back years later to haunt you in ways you'll never imagine," he said.

Maybe give these guys a miss.

edda.ford

Who cares! America is built on lies

July 12 2014 at 4:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jas

Crap your work life away for $125, stupid is, stupid does. Deserves lifetime of miserable . . .

May 06 2014 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karenllanglois

Ummm I think they call that fraud.

May 06 2014 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherman Thomas

if you are caught you this "service" you and they should be charged with FRAUD!!!!!!!!!
If you have not worked for a company or people then you should not use them as a reference or anything else. Once someone finds out you do not have the experience or that you falsified your records, that is terms for dismissal. Now how is that going to look on your resume? Not good and once it is found out you will have a tough time getting any kind off a job let alone a position.
Fraud is Fraud.

May 06 2014 at 4:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jt2

the more apt name for this company is "liars r us".i can't imagine which is worse the company for doing it or the client who would use it.

May 06 2014 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
overexposed1

My last resume had : 1 company sold and new company went out of business, 1 company just closed, and 1 had that division sold to a new company that took no employees from old company. Forget the Pontiac and Oldsmobile dealerships I worked for, out of business, one even had the building torn down. All legitimate references, just can't be proven. Many places look at those as gaps, take off a year or get laid off in todays economy and many H/R people just say not hirable and ignore resume. And 6.3% unemployment-closer to 16.3% with so many people just no longer looking, take early retirement or on public assistance. It isn't right and can ( will) get you fired, I won't do it, but I also only have to feed, cloth and provide shelter for me and my dogs. No wife or kids, I think I can make it without fibs. Wait until you get laid off and local unemployment is 12% plus all those that just graduated or gave up being counted because no longer eligible for unemployment checks, then this might get you a job.

May 06 2014 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike711l

Now that their business is known I guess they will be out of business.

May 06 2014 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mike711l's comment
BARRY AND KATHY

But they can put owning this company on their resume's.

May 06 2014 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chefjohnp

The other side of the coin is when the references are fact, true and can assist you in getting a position and the person interviewing or hiring you doesn't even call them!!!!!!

May 06 2014 at 3:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lukasiwicz

Is it fraud? In a word, yes. And it casts doubt on the veridicality of the credentials of those who have earned their credentials honestly.

May 06 2014 at 2:11 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lukasiwicz's comment
BARRY AND KATHY

I love it!
Veridicality!!!!!
I'm going to assume you spelled it correctly because I can't prove you didn't.

May 06 2014 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
potmind

I had to, in order to not rise suspicion from prospective employers, downgrade my résumé. It was falsification, yet no one ever complained for the results.

May 06 2014 at 2:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply