Task Force Debates Potency Of Edible Pot Products

People in Colorado are eating way too much weed.

A sample of various baked goods made wit
Getty Images

Colorado's best and brightest gathered Wednesday to discuss what may be the single greatest most delicious threat to our nation's health: eating too many pot brownies.

The Associated Press reported that the task force included health officials and state regulators along with leaders of Colorado's burgeoning pot industry, who attempted to find a way to curb the growing problem of consumers who, unaware of high levels of pot-concentration, are taking their snacking habits too far.

The issue here is that marijuana, which varies widely in potency, is difficult to accurately dose, so no one knows quite what to expect when they dig into box of Chips And Marijuana Ahoy (note: not an actual product). Inexperienced consumers can have experiences that are unpleasant, or even deadly; one Wyoming college student jumped to his death last month after eating six times the recommended dosage of pot cookies. Which, in case you were curious, is 10mg per serving.

One member of the task force, who was apparently not high at the time, suggested labeling edibles with a system reminiscent of ski slope guidelines: green circles for the mildly potent stuff, and black diamonds for brownies that make you see God.

"All of us want to make sure people are safe," Meg Collins, task force member and executive director of the Denver-based Cannabis Business Alliance, told the Associated Press. "The industry is stepping up and is looking at the best ways to educate and communicate to its customers safe ways to recreate with marijuana."

Meanwhile, pot-infused candy producer and legitimate businessman Dan Anglin made a case for adding warning labels and improving training for dispensary employees, but warned that rules making edible products too weak could drive customers to the black market.

"People do have an expectation of intoxication," he told ABC 7.

Edible goods must currently be sold in opaque, childproof containers warning that the product contains marijuana. The state also bans retailers from doing things like injecting cannabis oil into a branded candy bar, because who would assume that the Snickers bars sold at the local pot dispensary are any different from the ones at the convenience store?

"We just have to be more responsible about how we use it and we store. Just making sure the public knows," said Dr. George Sam Wang of Children's Hospital.

The task force has no immediate deadline for suggesting new regulations on edibles, leaving them plenty of time to brainstorm and see what their minds cook up--perhaps after consuming the recommended legal dosage of weed-injected candy.

haicharlie21

Das Funk Haus has a new album entitled 'Electric Garden Party' , it is highly recomended after enjoying these thc edibles. Hooray Colorado!

May 02 2014 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mar_lia

See that brownies good..

May 02 2014 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

"brownies that make you see God" hahahahahaha I remember when I used to get that high haha oh those were the days!

May 02 2014 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mck8erer

Who really cares?

May 02 2014 at 2:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
matthewjames40.matthew

They're, their and there. I know the difference. If someone knows how to edit a comment - I'm all ears..

May 02 2014 at 1:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
matthewjames40.matthew

I see that there are lots of people who blindly believe the reefer madness misinfo without doing their own research, comparing other sources of info and forming your OWN opinions. Just swallowing what you're told because a lot of people don't seem to have critical thinking skills. The recent study trying to link cannabis to heart disease was nothing more then fear mongering. The study was flawed because why would the researchers omit vital info such as tobacco use, alcohol use, family history, diet, etc.? The study was also done in France and we all know the French smoke tobacco like chimneys. Maybe that had something to do with whatever heart problems encountered by the study participants.

Linking cannabis use to low IQ is also more reefer madness misinfo. You don't have to be a scientist to know that IQ is all about your environment, education, genetics and so on. In fact, a recent study out of Wales found the opposite - "people with higher IQ's are more likely to get ripped up on illegal drugs than a person with lower intelligence." The study found that women with the highest IQ's were 5 times more likely to use cannabis..

I could go on but it's beating a dead horse. No one is saying their won't be consequences from heavy use, but the consequences of abuse are far less greater than with booze, pills, narcotics like cocaine along with heroin. In regards to the article, people need to realize that their not ingesting ordinary cookies and brownies and that they contain THC, which is a drug. If they want to pig out, eat a THC free snack. Labels and education wins the day.

May 02 2014 at 1:35 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to matthewjames40.matthew's comment
okpkpkp

I am a 60 y.o. Californian who is using medical marijuana to ease the pain from the damage alcohol did to me. I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Then came Wernicke's Encephalopathy. After "dementia" never showed up (after almost 15 years) my doctors are not sure what I have. But they do agree that my Peripheral Neuropathy was "probably" caused by over drinking. And I have been a decade off the booze, yet I keep sinking deeper into pain and zero mobility. I have a laptop on my bed and a remote for the TV. and my wife and kitties. And my morphine and my weed. I bake my own cookies and have one "store bought" brownie in the fridge. My tolerance has risen for the edibles, so I tend to eat more but I have been using this "devil weed", off and on, except for an eight year hitch in the army, since 1966.
Here in California we are still struggling with our law that passed in 1996 for medical use. Can't grow outside, can't grow inside, blah, blah, blah. I don't know if anything will be on the ballot this year but something needs to be straightened out...

May 07 2014 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Cape

Maybe letting a few thousand "pot-heads" with no future or common sense kill themselves is Colorado's way of "thinning the herd"... let them give it a try.

May 02 2014 at 1:18 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Martha

Studies are showing that pot use for young people permanently affects areas of the brain involved in decision making and interest in performing activities. It took a study to tell us that? Geez, every kid I knew in high school that was ingesting and smoking pot had no interest in doing much of anything other than lay around play games , party and eat. And at college we called the kid who's room emmitted gaseous clouds of it,Brain Damage. It's a massive tax grab. Nothing more, nothing less. And while we're at it, it's also a guarantee to stay in office, once the populace is well under control, dumbed down and don't give a SH&% and long as they have their SH*^&, well, let's just say there may be some long, comfortable terms in office. As for the driving study...look who sponsored it, you guessed it, the state that wanted to legalize it. Yup, no conflict of interest there.

May 02 2014 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
medix566

The legalization of Marijuana use is inevitable. Our best efforts to use Marijuana for medical use has been a gift to help those who have to use Opiods to relieve pain(That's Morhine and derivates for Morons that don't understand).. This is our opportunity to test the waters and use medicine as all other medicines are derived from weeds or our earth in general. I agree that regulation of Marijuana is necessary, and will reduce the cost also affecting our Prison systems nationwide, and reduce Opiod dependance. Every seen the results of an alcohol related accident??? I have way too many times and usage or habit is a choice. Alcohol is well known to Police, Fire, and Medical personnel, Don't forget the people who have died from alcohol DUI's... Someone has to say it.

May 02 2014 at 12:48 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mimism

Smoking life away is a sad way to live, but what do they know? They're high. :(

May 02 2014 at 12:47 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mimism's comment
onemadashell

so is drinking you life away, but what do you know?

May 02 2014 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply