Funeral Home Fined After Disastrous Body Mix-Up

Man cremated against wishes after remains mislabeled

KATUJerry Moon (left) and Robert Petitclerc.

A funeral home in Kelso, Wash. is being fined $12,500 and placed on probation for one year after a mix-up last October led to one man ending up in another's casket, and another man being cremated against his wishes.

The bodies of 72-year-old Jerry Moon and 97-year-old Robert Petitlerc were not immediately tagged with ID bracelets, leading to an error that caused one's remains to be mistaken for the other's. The result? Moon was cremated, and Petitclerc was sent on to another mortuary, where the mistake went undetected until the Moon's family opened the casket to discover the latter.

They said that Moon feared cremation, and had said he wanted to be buried alongside his parents. And while Petitcler was eventually cremated, in accordance with his wishes, his widow has expressed unease about whether the ashes she received are actually her husband's, KATU-TV reported.

A state Department of Licensing report determined that Norm Burns, an employee of Kelso's Dahl McVicker Funeral Home, placed the wrong ID bracelets on the two bodies after transporting the two bodies from Community Home Health and Hospice back to his workplace. There, another employee brought Moon's remains, labeled "Robert Petitclerc," to Longview Memorial Park Crematory for cremation. Petitclerc's body, labeled "Jerry Moon," was brought to Brown Mortuary and embalmed.

KATU
"In our investigation we found they were unaware of the misidentification of the remains and we felt they were not in any violation," Department of Licensing Christine Anthony told The Chronicle. "It would be a violation if they had known. Everything pointed back to Dahl McVicker."

Anthony said that funeral homes are required by state law to attach ID bracelets to bodies at the removal site, and the tags must remain on the body until burial or cremation.

During its probationary period, Dahl McVicker cannot commit any violations of the law and must pass all Department of Licensing audits and inspections.

"The probationary period means we will be monitoring Dahl McVicker very closely," Anthony told KATU. "They may be inspected and audited more often, and if we find any violations, they may face further sanctions."

The funeral home has 20 days to appeal the ruling. Anthony said the Department of Licensing cannot order a business to pay restitution to the families.

> Find a job as a funeral director

sacibee

Mistakes are made with the living as well. Wrong diagnosis,wrong operative procedures. I have seen it all.

April 25 2014 at 4:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sacibee

A very unfortunate story.

April 25 2014 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenan221

But, don't the family of the body ( prepared to be cremeted) want to have a last look at the deceased before starting the cremetion process?

April 23 2014 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dmalc8

My deepest sympathy to both families.

April 23 2014 at 2:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KG88USA

this happened to my family too.... we went to view my dad at the mortuary and it was my dad's coffin and my dad's suit BUT it wasn't my dad. the people at the mortuary were beside themselves, most had worked there for25+ years and said this had never happened before. only my mom and I were going to view my dad, but after the mix up my whole family went to see him.

April 23 2014 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
talkwjon

well there you go... everyone eventually gets their 15 minutes of fame..

April 23 2014 at 1:59 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
willspy4money

Many years ago I earned a living as an apprentice embalmer going to college. I also did 'first calls' the initial removal of the body from the place of death. Upon returning to the mortuary we would write the name on the upper thigh with a black marking pen. Toe tags could be a great opportunity for a malcontent to switch tags and that too has happened in the past. As for wrist bands, I never trusted them, the best was to immediately label the case upon arrival in the mortuary or prep room.
Even if the guy loved the idea of being cremated, no one at this point is going to miss this opportunity to grab a few extra bucks...... :)
John J. Nazarian, Private Investigator
desperateexes.com

April 23 2014 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

oops

April 23 2014 at 1:17 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
bob.mcvey

Hey... it was an honest mistake and neither of the deceased knew about it or cared. I think it's sort of comical. I think that's the way I want to go; a mix-up.

April 23 2014 at 1:12 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bob.mcvey's comment
abcstarfox

BOB...
One man requested and paid for burial the other
for creamation....apparently THEY CARED.

Obviously you are about 12 years old....or that is your IQ.
Pick a chair.