Rapping Doctor On Cast Maintenance: 'Don't Hate, Just Elevate'

Video of MC (er, MD) goes viral

Everyone knows about the healing power of medicine. But what about the healing power of rap? One doctor (or medic, actually) has found a way to combine the two in a video that has quickly gone viral.

While the 'Cast Rules Jingle' isn't likely to supplant Illmatic as a classic of the genre, it's far more awkwardly adorable. Watch as the staff sergeant/orthopedic specialist at an Army base describes the specifics of at-home cast maintenance to a little girl who's broken her foot--in rhyme!

"Don't get the cast wet, don't stick nothin' in it/Cause if you did, you're the one who has to deal with it," the doctor raps as a co-worker films him.

"Don't hate, just elevate/Don't sign the papers to send me to Ricky Lake."

Jessica Bennett, the patient's mother, told Newsy that the staff sergeant was amazing, and even sang snippets from Frozen when he realized she was nervous.

The video was originally posted on Reddit by one of Bennett's co-workers. In just over a day it's received over 270,000 views, and is still climbing. Looks like Dr. Dre's no longer the only MD in the rap game.

YouTube

stvknn

poor kid is loving this nice job by the SSgt to make her laugh

April 22 2014 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
exitscreaming

Umm...It's R-i-c-k-i Lake and her show was cancelled a year ago

April 17 2014 at 10:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

They do actually identify him (backhandedly) as a medic, yet continue to call him a doctor. No disrespect to the Staff Sergeant, I'm a retired Navy Corpsman... we are NOT doctors; we do have specialized training, but we also know our limitations. I would prefer he fit my cast than a doctor any day. Same goes for taking blood or putting in an IV; the enlisted Corpsman or medic has loads more experience than the military Doc in these situations.

April 17 2014 at 9:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tjburkee

I am amazed that people do not know where Rap came from. Long before people on the outside would Rap the inmates of insane asylms would Rap all day long. There was something about the musical ryme that seemed to appeal to the insane brain. Many of them were unable to talk in any other fashion.

April 17 2014 at 9:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
lunarstruck

If anyone rapped to me while I was in pain, I wouldn't like it at all. Most rap INCREASE my pain. LOL

April 17 2014 at 8:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
feralkkitty

@Velocity: Why is he a thug???

April 17 2014 at 7:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
feralkkitty

I think its great he does this with little kids. You know they aren't going to listen to any instructions of how to take care of the cast. This they'll remember. Awesome guy!

April 17 2014 at 7:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
clced

How can you hate him. He's better than the douchebag docs I've dealt with in the past. Rap on doc!

April 17 2014 at 6:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rickow1

He's talented, I'm not a huge rap fan but he's really good. The rest of you douche bags hating on him trying to make the girl feel comfortable need a dose of something. Take your hating a$$ somewhere else.

April 17 2014 at 6:20 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Velocity105

I have to listen to rap from thugs passing me in cars and apartments down the hall from mine, do you think I want to go to a thug doctor and listen to even more?

April 17 2014 at 6:06 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply