Customer Reduced To Tears By Words Written On Subway Order

If you've ever worked in retail, you're probably well aware of the many ways clerks and cashiers typecast customers to keep from getting confused: the guy in the blue shirt is Blue Shirt; the woman with the face tattoo is Face Tattoo Lady. And so on.

It's obviously understood that you're supposed to keep these mental descriptions to yourself, but one Subway employee recently let his thoughts about a customer's physicality slip out into the open, and the customer isn't too happy about it.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

"Big Mama" were the words Allison Brown of Murrieta, California found on the box of her Subway "Flatizza" (a kind of flatbread pizza so horrifically dubbed it must always be mentioned in scare quotes) when she got home.

"It's not right. It's really not right," she told ABC as her face flushed with emotion.

Brown described herself as a long-time Subway customer who, as someone who's struggled with her weight, has felt inspired by restaurant spokesman and weight-loss guru Jared Fogle.

"It's not nice to be picked on. It's not nice to be made fun of," she said. "This really destroyed me."

ABC
> Find a fast food job

After approaching the restaurant's owner, who only apologized and told her that the employee didn't know any better, Brown hired attorney Dan Gilleon. Instead of money, Brown is seeking anti-discrimination training for all Subway employees.

"This was discrimination, harassment, teasing, mocking somebody--a customer," Gilleon told ABC. He added that Subway has so far ignored his client's requests.

Restaurant owner Sanjiv Mehta has since reached out with an official apology, and stated that the offending employee has been disciplined. As for Brown...well, it looks like Quizno's may be getting a much-needed customer.

"I will never set foot in a Subway again," she said. "You couldn't pay me to eat there again."

At least she'll avoid those nasty yoga mat chemicals Subway's been using.

> Find a job at Subway

Mack Gelber

Mack Gelber

Associate Programming Manager

Mack Gelber is a Brooklyn-based writer and editor who has covered entertainment for AOL TV, and contributed fiction to Joyland Magazine and the Bushwick Review. He is a graduate of Oberlin College, where he studied creative writing. Twitter: @mackgelber

2020 Comments

tammythun

Why did he have to write anything at all? That is why people are given receipts!!! I think he should be made to apologize and wear a fat suit for a day while he works at Subway!!!

May 07 2014 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
usapaydirt

I'm sorry but if your a large person , like it or not, that's the way the World will see you. On the flip side if she was grossly under weight they might have written " Stick Chick " I can't stand being around hyper sensitive people, It's like walking on needles and pins as any and everything hurts their feelings...

April 17 2014 at 2:48 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
icecreamnutty

HELLO, once I saw "Big Mama" I knew she'd be a heavy black woman, it's a slang phrase which is NOT appropriate if the woman doesn't refer to herself that way. It's NOT nice, not polite, and OBVIOUSLY taking rude liberties emphasizing her weight ---- which really isn't THAT bad anyway, I've seen much worse in my family.... GIVE HER A LOT A CREDIT for asking for sensitivity training for the IDIOTS in that Subway.

April 16 2014 at 10:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
lawsonsvaricek

I do not think, for a second, that the worker was being mean. Really, if they were just trying to be outright mean there were other things that could've been typed.

April 16 2014 at 9:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lawsonsvaricek's comment
icecreamnutty

There were also a lot of NICE things that could've been written. Calling someone a FAT MAMA in effect is not polite. The idiot who wrote that thought he? was being funny & probably used a phrase he stupidly thought he might be able to get away with. A lot of women are sensitive about being "big" in EITHER direction, that employee is an insensitive, immature schmuck.

April 16 2014 at 10:51 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
iFiMailYouItsHak

how did they see "her face flush"?? and that woman looks like a large mama so and its obvious

April 16 2014 at 7:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
ROLANDO

I'M NOT EASILY INTIMIDATED, SO I WOULD HAVE TOLD THE GUY: WHAT IS THAT "W" STUFF I SAW LAST NIGHT ON YOUR MAMA'S FACE? I RESPECT EVERYBODY AND I LIKE TO BE RESPECTED. I TREAT EVERYBODY WITH RESPECT AND I'M NOT A RACIST. AND I'M PROUD TO SAY THAT I LEARNED THAT FROM MY PARENTS. I NEVER HEARD MY PARENTS SAY A RACIAL REMARK AGAINST ANYONE.

April 16 2014 at 3:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rod

I can expect that of Subway. First, she is not real smart in eating that crap that Subway passess off as food. Second, what gives a low life, minimum wage, undereducated employee the right to call customer names. I think the lady is right. Think about it folks, how would you like derogatory comments on your order. It offensive.

April 16 2014 at 2:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rod's comment
177aj

Subway's food is some of the highest quality food you can get and is not crap.

May 15 2014 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
APerfectGentlman

The writing on this story is puzzling. It says the owner "only apologized." Well, what else was he supposed to do? Good to know the attorney knows a lot of synonyms. This case is a joke.

April 16 2014 at 2:38 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Me

This woman is looking for a payout. She does not deserve one. Put me on the jury.

April 16 2014 at 1:17 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Me's comment
gdwn411

If you read the entire article you would see she SAID she doesn't want money. She wants Subway to train their employees to stop discrimination.

April 16 2014 at 2:46 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gdwn411's comment
lawsonsvaricek

That was not discrimination. And I do not think "big mama" is derogatory. Sounds to me that she is looking for a payout.

April 16 2014 at 9:52 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down
icecreamnutty

gdwn411, good for you for being able to READ, unlike so many here. The woman CLEARLY states she ONLY wants sensitivity training for the ass-backwards employee/s in Subway. Obviously there are a lot of clods HERE as well who need it since they see nothing wrong with calling a person a slang term for "fat black woman." Reading comprehension lessons wouldn't hurt either.

April 16 2014 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
nonesuch41054

Oh, for crying out loud! The Subway employee could have written fat lady, obese lady, overweight slob or any number of worse descriptions. These employees are not English majors who have the time to think up clever euphemisms to describe their customers. Maybe next time she should wear a red hat so they can write "red hat" on the box. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

April 16 2014 at 1:01 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to nonesuch41054's comment

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.