Pittsburgh Hotel Dog Has A Better Job Than Most Humans

Meet the Fairmont's Canine Ambassador

Pittsburgh's Fairmont Hotel is the kind of place where guests can do pretty much whatever they want, whether it's covering a bed with rose petals or getting an in-room manicure. "We never say no. If it can be done, it will be done," Mark Chambers, the hotel's chief concierge, told ABC affiliate WTAE. But what if a guest has a hankering to walk a dog? As it turns out, the Fairmont's got them covered.

When we talk about dog jobs, we're usually thinking of something more like this. But Edie, an all white boxer-lab mix, is the hotel's official canine ambassador, serving guests in need of one-on-one dog time.

Samra Savioz, a regular guest at the Fairmont, enjoys taking her for walks around town. "It's a little bit of home and it's a little therapeutic," she said.

> Find a job working with dogs

Edie, who lives with public relations manager Julie Abramovic, was trained as a service dog. But--get this--she was just too nice for the job, and soon transitioned to her current gig at the Fairmont. She now comes to work with Abramovic every day.

"If you're a hotel guest, you can sign Edie out and walk around the city with her. So she loves doing that," Abramovic told WTAE. Chambers added that the dog even takes guests on guided tours of the city--or at least favorite fire hydrants.

Edie was originally found living in the street, and was eventually rescued from a Cincinnati shelter. But now, as Canine Ambassador at a luxury hotel, she's set for life. Just don't ask her to give you restaurant suggestions--that's more Chambers's area.

> Find a job at a hotel

Shanon

To:Larry, okay we've established that YOU are NOT a dog person, and REFUSE to stay where DOGS are welcome. 'nuf said stop commenting if YOU don't like it! It's a way cool concept. And I as a DOG owner would probably say to you that I would guarantee no fleas, shedding or accidents in YOUR room, when the dog was present! I take personal care of my dog and would assure you that the luxury hotel would probably do the same. Plus DON'T STAY THERE!

April 06 2014 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BradyBeans

This is really cool! Imagine being able to walk a dog, when you miss your own pet that you had to leave at home!

April 06 2014 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngin1999

pics?

April 06 2014 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

Animals working at Hotels is nothing new. Mickey and Minney Mouse have visited my Hotel room often.

April 06 2014 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi Nancy

The story of Edie was so sweet. Whoever saved thank you so much.
Nancy Medley

April 06 2014 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

When I'm alone in a hotel, it would be nice to have a cat to sleep on my feet.... more like home.

April 06 2014 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
larry

I'll be right over ! ! !

April 06 2014 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtsv180

Beautiful dog.

April 06 2014 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

This is great. Any business that has a pet as a part of their normal daily operations is okay with me!! There's a local store where I live that has the resident cat----the cat lays on the checkout counter, greeting & saying goodbye to shoppers, gets pet by practically everyone & is a big hit.

April 06 2014 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
irocker350

In the early 1980's I worked for Scenic Airlines in Las Vegas and we had a cat that came to be with us by sneaking aboard one of our planes headed for a Grand Canyon Tour and after that the cat just stayed on, we named him Turbo, because he sneaked aboard a Cessna Turbo Star (Cessna 402 Turboprop conversion), turbo had the run of the hangars and terminal, occasionally sitting on the service counter, one night I was driving on one of McCarran Airport's service roads near our terminal and accidentally ran over a cat, I thought, "OH NO! I ran over Turbo", but it wasn't Turbo but I still picked it up, took it to the terminal and got it to a vet, it was still alive but unfortunately it was too injured to save

April 06 2014 at 4:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

With having a dog emmbassador love it...they allow pets so that means I'll stay there instead of one that are to uppity to allow our canine friends

April 06 2014 at 4:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Debbie's comment
larry

On the other hand---I refuse to stay at a Hotel that allows pets. I don't like a barking dog at 2am or fleas in the carpet, drapes or bedding.

April 06 2014 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply