Want To Tick Off Your Boss? Your Colleagues?

Post this on social media

You've worked your butt off all year in this lean, mean, recession-addled workplace. You're pale, exhausted and even Red Bull doesn't perk you up anymore. You're all over the travel boards on Pinterest, chomping at the bit to sink your toes into soft spun-sugary sand, hoist a margarita, and leave your demanding bosses, and insane deadlines far behind.

Yes, it's finally that time again. After one of the worst winters and blustery springs in decades, the long-awaited Summer Vacation Season is upon us. Along with the summer solstice comes 4th of July fireworks, picnics, family trips, destination weddings and romantic treks. But before you smooth on that sunscreen, you might consider today's new job etiquette before you get burned -- and not by the blazing sun.

The New Vacation Rules

By all means, vamoose to whatever vacation you need, want, and deserve. But smart vacationers remember #FOMO (the infamous Fear of Missing Out) and make every effort to avoid stirring it up via social media. Regardless of the warmth of your business relationships, no one who is frustrated and looking to move a project forward, is going to relish discovering that Instagram photo of the project manager parasailing in Mexico. Or the obligatory bar scene. Or the underneath the waterfall somewhere in Hawaii.

Aside from the old "gee, she's having fun and I'm not" side of human nature, there's also the nasty thought that sometimes bubbles up: "Am I paying her too much? That's quite the boondoggle she can afford." Read some of the recent studies on the depression caused or exacerbated by social media, and remember that you're buddies with half of your office on Facebook, Twitter or G+.

What to Do
Too bad social media doesn't have the famous OOF -- Out of the Office -- that email does. So contact key people who don't have access to your company calendar, announce that you're going off the grid and will be officially unreachable from X to X. Details of where you're going are unnecessary -- only the unavailable dates are relevant.

Then stay off any social media that's trackable to you. Some paranoid (I think smart) people set up a new private Twitter, OGGL or Path just for family and close friends. Don't think Facebook's privacy settings are going to protect you. Or even Snapchat. If you must communicate, use text or WhatsApp.

The primary death knell to business connections is the linchpin of the powerful Visual Revolution: big, juicy, droolworthy photographs. The more visual, the more shareable. That massive pin-worthy picture of you diving in Belize or Blue Pearl Bay off Hayman Island in Australia, will draw more comments, shares and likes than text. It's far more likely to be the first thing your boss sees when she finally slogs it home after a 12-hour day, soaking wet from the drizzle or humidity, having only eaten some leftover 'Starch of the Day' from the company cafeteria.

In other words, folks, shut up. Today's social media is the blabbermouth bastard of the Kodak vacation slide show.

> Find a job near a beach

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Filed under: Career Advice
Sarah Browne

Sarah Browne

Contributor

Sarah Browne is a consumer insights strategist, writer, and expert advisor on trends, innovation and emerging cultural change, especially in the workplace. A serial entrepreneur and specialist in angel investing, she loves to be in-the-trenches, taking seed stage products from concept to commercialization.

janda67

Working with ones' bosses for the betterment of patients, co-workers, and the unit always worked well in hospitals where mutual respect was the basis of the workplace philosophy. May God help our Nation's businesses and employees to change perspective from causing upset with one another to finding resolutions which will help businesses grow and employees provide safe locations to live, educate, and means of meeting their families' needs, as does the management levels of the businesses. May compassion, not deceitfulness become the hallmark of our Nation's leadership.

March 31 2014 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

why does everone have to h8 h8 h8 h8?

March 24 2014 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IBruzEZ

I don't understand why folks seem to think that EVERYTHING they do has to be on these social media pages like FB.? Who cares if you go on vacation, other than the burglers who will be looking thru your house while you are gone? If I want to know, I will ask you face to face.!!

March 24 2014 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephens

What bullshit! Is this what the younger generation really thinks? I am retired and I never, ever gave a second thought as to what my peers were spending on vacations. If they had lavish vacations, they were earned.

March 24 2014 at 10:46 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
estoniagirl

Umm, that's why you never ever ever befriend your boss on facebook. That's like rule #1! Anybody should post pics of their vacation, suggesting that I should stop living my life because someone may get jealous is preposterous! Why gives a flying hoot. I will live my life for me, not for anyone else. If they don't like it, it's not my concern or problem.
And if you're the kind of person who gets envious at this kind of stuff, it's time to do some soul searching and maybe make some changes in your own life.
Live your life for you! The way it makes YOU happy :-)

March 24 2014 at 10:39 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
prawn259

If you're so paranoid that your boss is going to think you're spending too much money, maybe you should get a new job.

March 24 2014 at 10:39 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I want my people to have a great time on vacation. All people should have the right to enjoy their limited time here doing what they love to do. The cemetery if full of people who wish they spent more time enjoying life with their loved ones...Work to live, don't live to work.

March 24 2014 at 10:25 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
lbreamer

In this day and age of the budget vacation & with vacation special commercials showing you how to buy the cheapest packages, stay in the most affordable rooms - anybody can save their dimes & nickels and go anywhere in the world they want to - on a budget. If you boss bothers to know anything about you, then they'll already know you've saved & scrimped (eating pbj sandwiches for a year) ((shopping at Goodwill for new clothes)) to take an awesome break from the job. And even if your boss doesn't know those things? It's certainly easy enough to share that info with them. I can't believe there would be a boss petty enough to do the things you're warning against.

March 24 2014 at 10:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I don't see anything wrong with sharing pic's while on your vacation. My rule of thumb (for me) is "everything in moderation." There will ALWAYS be people in your life who get jealous for whatever reasons. I think that if you're careful not to boast/brag constantly, then there's nothing wrong with posting a fun pic and commenting about what you were doing at the time. Bottom line is that co-workers and bosses shouldn't go on your Facebook if they don't want to know - So if you were careful not to brag and be in-your-face about what a wonderful time you're having and how lucky you are, etc., then that's their problem if they feel resentment. I mean, it's the same as someone going on vaca, then coming back and passing their photos around for everyone to see. I, personally, am happy for those who share their fun times because I haven't been able to go on vacation for 7 yrs now (lack of money) so I really DO enjoy seeing pic's of beautiful, tropical, or historical places. Unfortunately, it's impossible for everyone to just be happy for each other. Try it...it is so much nicer and you'll actually feel better! :)

March 24 2014 at 9:51 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Denise

"Boondoggle"? Get your dictionary out. And, to heck w/ co-workers; they can save money, too!

March 24 2014 at 9:34 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.