Giraffe Gives Dying Zoo Worker A Kiss Goodbye

Get ready to sob

Facebook
What better way to celebrate the end of the week than with some pure, unadulterated sob-fuel? Witness Mario--just Mario--a 54-year-old man who spent most of his life working at Holland's Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo in Rotterdamn. Dying of terminal cancer, Mario requested that his hospital bed be wheeled into the giraffe enclosure. What happened next is...well, just look at the pictures.

Soon after Mario was brought into the enclosure, one giraffe approached to give him a kiss goodbye.

"These animals recognized him, and felt that [things aren't] going well with him," Kees Veldboer, founder of the Ambulance Wish Foundation told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. Veldboer's charity, which grants dying wishes to the terminally ill, transported Mario to the zoo.

"[It was] a very special moment. You saw him beaming."

Facebook
> Find a job working with animals

Daily Mail reported that after meeting with the giraffes, Mario, who is mentally disabled, requested a moment to say goodbye to his colleagues at the zoo where he worked for most of his adult life.

All right, fine. The cynics out there might be saying that the giraffe wasn't really giving him a kiss, that it was only looking for food, or performing some kind of giraffe greeting behavior. To which we say, pah! This giraffe was giving his beloved companion a goodbye kiss. If there's a world where a giraffe kiss is not a giraffe kiss, that's not a world we want to live in.

Now would be a great time to check out some of the other animal jobs out there.

Marie-France

Animals have such high sensitivities that humans often minimize. They have so much compassion and don't hesitate to show love for those who have treated them well.

August 04 2014 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

as a child my mother had cancer and our dog would always run away to the hospital she was at and search for her. the cops knew he was ours since everytime she was taken the would get a call of a dog at the hospital. and when i was ill for months my little chihuahua would lay on my chest to keep me warm when i had phnemonia and he would lay on my bed until i returned from the hospital. they know and love better then most people.

August 01 2014 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BestRingCompany

Giraffes Rule!

August 01 2014 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barblam1

Of course I cried...

July 10 2014 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dfoxxylady65

LOVE FOR ANOTHER HUMAN BEING IN NOT ONLY ,FOR THE 2 LEGGED ,LOVE IS FELT BY ALL ITHINK THAT THE GIRAFFE KNEW THAT THE END WAS NEAR AND SAIS ITS GOODBYE WITH A KISS......

July 09 2014 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

Ok,this very touching story about the giraffe that tugged at my heart strings,and like Guy Cenname ,that sentiment that even the largest creatures of God show such love and it is obvious to me that the giraffe felt both love AND compassion for this human who had difficulties with his mental health before the cancer even made him ill.See,this is why humans who harm animals must change their ways.Every sentient being-giraffe,dog ,cat ,bird...etc, deserves respect,compassion and love.When I dont have any extra money to donate towards animal shelters and rescue groups, I try to help animals daily by signing petitions and calling congress or legislature about things such as giving more prison time to those convicted of crimes against animals(neglect,abuse,dog fighting,etc) to make an example of them and show that our society will not stand for abuse of helpless,innocent animals.But equally as touching was the KINDNESS and CARING shown by GUY CENNAME -not only about the giraffe but for his FELLOW MAN.What a sweet,kind hearted GENTLEMAN.God bless YOU ,Guy Cenname...Hearing your words restores my faith in the human race.If the majority of people on this planet were as kind,we'd be in a much better place.

March 26 2014 at 10:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mpanmee

When my neighbor suddenly passed away my Husky laid down in the middle of the road. He never did it before and never did it again.

March 26 2014 at 1:34 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mpanmee's comment
bullwinkle94a

The night my mother died in a hospital 52 miles from home the kitten I had given her 4 years earlier quit eating,and ended up starving herself to death.

They lived in a rural area so the cat was a indoor and outdoor cat that normally slept in the bed with my mother every night,but my mother was in the hospital for over 2 weeks before she died,and starting from the day she went the cat started laying on her side of the bed 24/7,and only going outside to take care of her private business for a few minutes,and then right back into the house and up on the bed.

August 01 2014 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candie

Me too !!! I'm at work reading this... not a dry eye. That is pure.
Animals know more then you think.
I agree with you Guy Genname !!

March 26 2014 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Guy Cenname

That's it!!! I finally broke down!!!!!

March 23 2014 at 9:23 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Guy Cenname

When and after I saw and heard about this SPECIAL report on my local news station, my heart sank with sadness. knowing that MARIO has such a RELATIONSHIP with his zoo animals, and seeing that even large creatures from God, can also show LOVE and Compasion for a man that they knew over the many years of working at the zoo. Even when I see these remarkable photos, I can't help mysel but to hold back tears, and a very tight grip of emotion just so that I won't cry. It's difficult not to feel any emotions regarding this story!!! I'm sorry that MARIO has this incurable cancer, and when he goes to Heaven, maybe he can have his job back in Heaven caring for all the animals that have passed on from earth into Heaven. I love you Mario and God bless you my dear friend.

March 23 2014 at 9:20 AM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply