Postal Worker Allegedly Threw Out Thousands of Pieces of Mail

So much for 'neither snow nor rain, nor gloom of night'

YouTube, CBS 2 Postal worker Patrick Paskett allegedly discarded mail in this dumpster and others on Long Island.
We all get a little lazy on the job sometimes. But one Long Island postal worker has singlehandedly raised the bar for the slackers of the world, and is paying for it dearly.
U.S. Postal Service employee Patrick Paskett, 24, was arrested last week after dozens of customers complained about missing packages and letters, CBS New York reported. It turns out that Paskett had been tossing thousands of pieces of mail -- including essentials like bills and paychecks -- into dumpsters around Long Island.

The motive? According to federal agents, Paskett couldn't be bothered to complete his deliveries in the snow. So much for "neither snow nor rain, nor gloom of night."

> Find a job as a mailroom clerk

According to the New York Post, special agent Steven DeMayo tailed Paskett following the complaints, and caught him heaving stacks of mail into a trash bin in Massapequa Park. When questioned, Paskett admitted that he'd thrown out mail at least 15 times between December and March.

"It's pretty upsetting," Massapequa Park resident Jeff Felicetti told CBS New York. While most of the trashed deliveries have most likely been moved to landfills, agents still recovered over 1000 pieces of mail, including 144 pieces of first class mail.

Paskett faces charges of mail destruction, a felony that carries up to five years in jail. "I really don't want to talk about this with anyone," he told the Post outside his home in Massapequa Park, where he lives with his parents. "It happened. I resigned. I don't work for them anymore. It's over."

For now, though, Paskett is still employed by the postal service pending the outcome of the charges, a USPS spokeswoman said. But don't worry--he's no longer delivering mail.

Believe it or not, this isn't the first time this has happened in the past year.

> Find a job as a mail clerk

benson2796

To the Xhapytrkr,

You'd fit right in! Remember i before e except after c? Hey, dumb dumb. It's RECEIVING. Go back to school.

March 27 2014 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benson2796

Hey rwitchwoman,

go out and try delivering the mail. I bet you'd quit in two days...even if they paid you $30.00 an hour!

March 27 2014 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benson2796

Oh, Christine, if you only knew! First, You, the public tax payers DO NOT pay my pension and never paid me my income. I was a letter carrier for 33 years and I was a good one. Second, it is NOT the carrier to blame. It's management! If management cannot manage their employees well, service suffers. My experience is (and I saw it for decades) if a carrier is injured on the job or just doesn't want to carry, because it's "too hard" they become MANAGERS!!! And Third! The USPS is hiring new people and loading them with so much work, they quit! Oh, everybody thinks it's a great job--walk around in the sunshine. I'D LOVE to see anyone who complains try it!! Just one day! The National Guard tried when there was a strike in the '70's and they could not believe how difficult it was..most said they'd never do it for a living. Go ahead and apply. They're looking for people to take the place of all those who've quit after a week.

March 27 2014 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bthomp11

I've had two incidents in the past two weeks with both involving packages not delivered but possessing online delivery confirmation tracking. The first package was "delivered" 10 days after the official online delivery date, to my backyard, resting under a tree on a Sunday afternoon, with the package completely opened!! The second package showed a delivery date of 3/24, but again was not delivered. Upon reporting both incidents to the local supervisor, the blame was placed on the weather and on the fact that the packages were not "guaranteed" delivery. I strongly suspect these carriers are overworked and can't possibly deliver all the mail assigned to them. As a result they" stash" the mail and scan the delivery receipts as "delivered' so they can report all packages as delivered on time.Where or who can I go to next to get answers? No one seems to want to take responsibility or accountability for this

March 27 2014 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rude

This is no surprise. Theft and incompetence are rampant at the main facility in my city, the third largest in the state.

March 24 2014 at 5:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
the kid

i THINK HE USED TO DELIVER MY PAPERS ALSO, SOMETIMES

March 21 2014 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
llhuberarchitect

Must have gone Postal.

March 21 2014 at 5:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Makes me cringe! Checks, bills, personal correspondences, notices, etc. And, many mail carriers are carelessly tossing and mishandling the property they have been entrusted with, it's awful. But, there is little to no accountability with gov't employees, and we want them close to our health care? I tried for years to address an issue with our postmaster about our carrier... finally she had to say, "There is simply no recourse , this isn't the corporate world. He can do his job well or not, without pride and without care, he will enjoy his salary and his pension on you forever" How sad is that?? Seriously... it's pathetic!

March 21 2014 at 2:54 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Christine's comment
Beth

Firstly, if a postmaster said that, it is simply not true. Secondly, it is deplorable to say it. (I suspect you may have spoken to a Carrier Supervisor, not a Postmaster - but still horrible.)
This is a myth that many people have, that Postal workers can't be fired. They can, and have been. And as in the case above, they can be charged with a Federal crime, if warranted. I worked for the USPS for many years. Are there crappy workers, just like in any field? YES. But clearly, there IS recourse.

March 21 2014 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suemea

I had a postman who threw away the third calss mail. He was finally caught - 1 year before his retirement - lost his job and pension. It happens more than you think.

March 21 2014 at 2:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JUDY

I worked for the postal service in Orange CA and you wouldn't believe some of the things that went on there! Throwing away mail is outrageous but it's just the tip of the iceberg!

March 21 2014 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply