Passenger Tells A Female Pilot Flying Is 'No Place For A Woman'

WestJet captain fumes on Facebook

Facebook/Carey Smith Steacy
There is a whole list of people you're smart not to tick off: a state trooper who pulled you over. A surgeon just before your operation. Your boss when asking for a raise. Oh, and the aircraft pilot you're trusting your life with while traveling.

But that's what a WestJet passenger in Canada did on a routine flight from Calgary to Victoria, British Columbia. Someone by the name of David left a note claiming that a pilot's chair was "no place for a woman" and left it for Captain Carey Smith Steacy, a commercial airline pilot with 17 years of experience, according to CTV News. Addressed to the captain and WestJet, the note, a photo of which is available online at Imgur, scrawled with many misspellings and grammatical errors on a small napkin, read that the "cockpit of airlier is no place for a woman" and that "being a mother is the most honor." The note went on to say that there was a shortage of mothers, not pilots.
Imgur

At the end of the note was a reference to a Biblical verse from Proverbs, according to the site KingJamesBibleOnline.org: My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments. (It is little known that the Old Testament held a specific prohibition against women flying commercial aircraft.)

The front of the note ended with the thought, "I wish WestJet could tell me a fair lady is at the helm so I can book another flight!"

Metro had an image of the reverse side in which David wrote, "In the end this is all mere vanity," added "not impressed," and signed it "respectfully in love."

"I just couldn't believe there are still people in this country that think like that," the pilot told Metro. "It just shocked me."

Steacy, who already is a mother, posted an image of the note on her Facebook page and added a response to the passenger, according to the Metro report. She first corrected him on terminology -- it's a flight deck and not a cockpit -- and then "I respectfully disagree with your opinion" and that "there are no places that are not for ladies anymore."

Reportedly, the passenger was asking the flight attendants whether Steacy had enough flight hours to safely handle the craft.

Steacy also wrote that David was "more than welcome to deplane when you heard I was a 'fair lady.'"

In a statement to Metro, WestJet said that it takes "enormous pride in the professionalism, skills and expertise of our pilots and this note is very disappointing."

Update 6-March-2014, 7:46AM: A number of readers mentioned that the Biblical citation was more likely to chapter 31 in Proverbs, rather than verse 1, chapter 3. Chapter 31 describes a virtuous woman. The irony is that the ideal woman not only takes care of the home, but among other things runs a successful business: "She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant."

CelticDenise

Everyone - go to You Tube, and enter the search terms "Shirley Q Liquor Ebonics airways".

March 20 2014 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEVE

Tell this sadly uninformed boy to pull up his big boy jock-strap and sit back and relax! His anxieties need a good masage! Stephan...............add an ie to the end of my name and I could still fly your plane......:)

March 09 2014 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennypenny06

The only thing that a male can do that a female can't is produce sperm cells. And pee standing up...I guess a woman COULD do that, but it's be messy!

March 09 2014 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AET

So fake. I am so tired of these self deluding frauds concocting schemes to get their "15 minutes of fame". Yet another "Hero to Zero" loser extraordinaire!

March 09 2014 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
b737captjim

For what it is worth; I am a retired Captain for a major airline, and fully support women as pilots. I have assisted a few in getting hired and having the chance to prove themselves, along with their male counterparts. What I take issue with is that she states that the aircraft location up front where the pilots reside is not a "Cockpit", but rather, is a "Flight Deck". This was a PC (political correctness) change, made to pacify women. Boeing still installs the "Cockpit Voice Recorder", which is clearly labeled as such. The NTSB, still refers to the Cockpit Voice Recorder as the location where the pilots are in control of the aircraft.

March 06 2014 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

With the ignorance in the comments on this board, I'm just waiting for someone to point the finger at Obama for this. lol........damn republican hate mongers.

March 06 2014 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alex's comment
josemanueltizon

TO ALEX; I BELIEVE YOU ARE THE ONE WITH PROBLEMS-YOU SHOULD NEVER SAID DAMN REPUBLICANS -WHERE IS YOUR SPIRITUALITY AND DECENCY...

March 09 2014 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidandkathleen

I've been a flight attendant for 27 years and the female pilots can be much nicer to work with than the male pilots!

March 06 2014 at 4:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davidandkathleen's comment
J. R. Gilbert

There are people who were nice to work for and are now, or have previously been in prison.

Sorry, but not a legit argument.

April 08 2014 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Really, as I scroll through the comments earlier than mine - it tells me that there are a lot of hurt people out there. People who would gladly "throw the first stone". Don't take your own pain or anger and misdirect it onto someone who made a 'mistake" in your very sane world. smh We are not human beings - we are souls who reside in a human body. A while ago, I was you. I did somethings that left black scars on my heart forever. if you knew of my story, you'd attack me in my sleep.....but that's not your call to make. We DO have a maker - God, Buddah, Yeshua, Mohammed.....whatever name you identiry him/her with - we do have someone or something that we'll all have to answer to one day. We all know we're going to die - we just don't know which day. Me? I'm not perfect, but I do try to act as if my day is near. I ask myself - what would Jesus do? I'm by no means a Bible Thumper - but I do know that we will answer to our actions, motives, and thoughts, "one day".

March 06 2014 at 4:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Give him a break. He's obviously a mentally ill person, who, unfortunately - had an episode while put in a stressful enough situation of flying.
Yes, he should've just deplaned, but clearly didn't have the capacity to make that choice. Remember, there are chemically imbalanced people all around us. They live in our very small circle of life, and we will be reminded of this from time to time. It's our job as sane human souls, to just try to feel his pain of living with this, and not make fun of him. Truthfully, this wasn't my immediate reaction, but God uses people to speak through them.......do you disagree? In any case - what's done is done, and we cannot expect every person to live up to our standards of sanity. If you're any sort of spiritual person, I'd suggest that we'd just ask God to forgive him for his outbursts. I don't believe forgiveness is up to us, and the best that we can do is ask for it in his name. I am sorry that he hurt the Captain, but we all live in glass houses at one time or another. This isn't "news alert". News alert happened many years ago when they started closing down all of the psychiatric hospitals, and left these people to wander the streets aimlessly.......and usually without medication.

March 06 2014 at 4:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply