Oscars Pizza Man Receives $1,000 Tip

Maybe this will counter some of those iffy Yelp reviews

Twelve Years a Slave auteur Steve McQueen might've made history as the first black director to win Best Picture at the Oscars, but 2014 is already set to be remembered as the Year of the Pizza. Partway through the show, host Ellen DeGeneres ushered a pizza delivery guy onstage, then led him into the audience as Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, and others began to chow down. DeGeneres proceeded to collect $600 in tips from the celebrity audience, which she presented to delivery man Edgar Martirosyan on her talk show Monday.

"They told me I'm going to deliver pizzas for writers, and then when I went there, Ellen came out and told me, 'Just follow me,'" Martirosyan told New York Daily News. "When I was going, I realized I'm on the stage, and I just went. I wasn't nervous. I was cool."

The total tip amounted to $1,000, with $600 collected from the Oscars attendees (most appreciably Harvey Weinstein), and another $400 contributed by DeGeneres. Martirosyan, who owns Big Mama's and Papa's Pizzeria in West Hollywood, was pitching in with deliveries at the time of the order.

"I just thought it was a regular delivery," he said. "I didn't know I was going to go on the stage."

Twitter quickly latched on to the stunt, which caused some users to question their allegiances to certain celebrities: While others joked about the hefty tab:
> Find a job at a pizzeria

While Martirosyan confirmed that the tip is the biggest he's ever received, the potential boon to his business is valued at well over $1,000. With advertising on the Oscars broadcast beginning at $1.8 million, the restaurant's publicity coup is is thought to be worth $10 million, Variety reported.

Wayne Grigorian, who owns another Big Mama's and Papa's franchise in Los Angeles, told E! that online orders came in at a frequency of once per minute after the pizzeria's Oscar moment--a 500 percent bump in business. "We knew we were going to get some orders because of the Oscars, but this event made it unbelievable," he said.

Nevertheless, Martirosyan remains humble about his moment in the spotlight. "I took the order, I delivered, that was it," he told New York Daily News, adding that he was excited to deliver a slice to Julia Roberts personally. He plans to share the tip with his staff. In the meantime, maybe his appearance will counteract some of the restaurant's mixed Yelp reviews.

> Find a job as a pizza delivery driver

> Top 10 Hiring Now

garkeller

I'm having pizza this weekend and i'm sending my invite to Brangelina right now! ;-)

March 05 2014 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stewart

must have been surge (price gouging) pricing like Uber does then? is that right? pretty expensive delivery? lol

March 05 2014 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gumbiee49

Good job Ellen. Glad you made a joke to that tranny too. She was pathetic looking anyhow. There was and only will be one Liza

March 05 2014 at 4:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darkdaved

Terry and Mandy, it wasn't $99.00 each for 16 pizzas. It was $16.00 for 99 pizzas. Man, I wish I had some of what you've been smoking.

March 05 2014 at 2:04 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to darkdaved's comment
njdavenj

darkdaved : Your post cracked me up! Still laughing!!!

BTW: Not smoking anything here :-)

March 05 2014 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
splicer8

$16 * 99 Pies. Dumb.A**

March 05 2014 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to splicer8's comment
tieboe

thats not what it reads dumb A. it reads $16.00 x 99 = 1584.00

March 05 2014 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry and Mandy

That Pizza bill is a complete hoax. $99 each for 16 pizzas. Sales tax is wrong. Payment information, "Line of credit" Who has a line of credit at a Pizza place? Maybe Mike and Molly?

March 05 2014 at 1:55 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
LADIVA

Blessings to you Ellen... You did an EXCELLENT job hosting the O.
Love your show!
Wish to attend someday!

March 05 2014 at 1:49 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Bobbi

now I am getting a little freaked out by Ellen giving so much stuff away....is she buying her fans ...like her, but, think I am feeling now she is a big showoff

March 05 2014 at 12:49 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
twoblueyes70

Hes the owner?? Sounds like he knew where he was going and took advantage of it.

March 05 2014 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to twoblueyes70's comment
njdavenj

Grow up!!!

March 05 2014 at 4:25 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
marshallcoid

The pizza bit was hilarious and humanizing. Even stars like Pizza. I always suspected, in fact I knew it...but nice to see it confirmed in this unique way. Was a slice of life intersecting with the Oscar fantasy realm. Quite funny. Her ability to be irreverent without excessive meanness is admirable. The Liza joke was not her best but Liza is a favorite character for drag performers to imitate, so it was not completely off-limits. Also Liza may be taking herself just a tad too seriously (she is amazing and unique and has unparalleled pedigree-But still...). Still have great fondness for her, regardless.

The true ugliness that defines a few hateful comments here is far worse than any questionable humor Ellen may have employed. Oh well.....some are truly unreachable....clinging to hate at every possible turn.

The gentleness, and relative kindness of Ellen is far more positive and admirable. Her self-effacing humor is also refreshing compared with the aggressive, attack-oriented, egocentric humor that seems too prevalent these days. Really welcome her sense of the purely silly too...Playful rather than ugly. Very healthy humor approach which still manages to be irreverent. A disarming influence helps balance the hyped atmosphere and add relaxation to the mix.....High marks, Ellen. Don't change!!!! Congrats!!!

March 05 2014 at 12:41 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply