One-Year Anniversary of Return to GMA Brings Robin Roberts To Tears

Fellow anchor celebrates Roberts' healthy return

'Good Morning America' Anchor Robin Roberts Tears Up on-Air

Good Morning America news anchor Josh Elliott brought his co-anchor to tears today by acknowledging the one-year anniversary of popular co-anchor Robin Roberts' return to the set.

Roberts was treated for myelodysplastic syndrome in 2013 and noted she was wearing a similar dress to the one she wore that day a year ago and is filling it out a lot better now. Her heroic fight with the cancer was a major part of GMA coverage over the past year. She took to Twitter on Wednesday to express her joy over the one-year milestone:

Earlier this week, Roberts was named most popular morning TV personality, based on the latest Q scores measuring celebrity appeal. Former GMA anchor Sam Champion came in second and Elliott rated third.

The anchor has been making news a lot lately after coming out as gay in her year-end post on Facebook in which she wrote, "At this moment I am at peace and filled with joy and gratitude. I am grateful to God, my doctors and nurses for my restored good health. I am grateful for my sister, Sally-Ann, for being my donor and giving me the gift of life. I am grateful for my entire family, my longtime girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together."

Elliott, a former ESPN personality who has drawn some negative attention for his dealings with other female co-workers, is said to have a lot of respect for Roberts, who is also an ESPN alum.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Filed under: Co-Workers

AOL Jobs Staff

Staff Compilations

add1dda

“Elliott made the gesture during the live broadcast early Thursday morning, catching the 53-year-old Roberts off guard.”

And if you believe that, I have a great deal for you, on a slightly used bridge.

Robin Roberts is a classic AA case. Her entire career is based on being black, and having the correct politics. I can recall when she was a sportscaster. When the American girls soccer team won the gold medal in the 1996 Olympics, she asserted, without any basis, that the medal was thanks to Title IX. That lie, in addition to being black, of course, got her her GMA gig, where she has white colleagues like Elliott ******* up to her.

February 23 2014 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
falls.vacuum

HILLARY " WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER RODHAM" . THIS COUNTRY IS DONE AND ALL YOU IDIOTS THAT VOTED FOR THAT SCUMBAG B.O ARE RESPONSIBLE.

February 21 2014 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mielkele

Come on AOL - get rid of all of your 'technical difficulties' and then get rid of work from home comments. They are not relevant.

February 21 2014 at 12:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MegaSvcRep

I Love Josh and his sensitivity for others regardless of race, gender or color!!

February 21 2014 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranm856

Hillary 2016 cry repukes cry

February 21 2014 at 11:50 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MegaSvcRep

Its not for us to Judge, there are sins of every kind and truth be told everybody sins in some way or another, every day!! God is the only Deity that can judge, in fact the Bible says "Judge ye not unless you be judged" So put that in your spiritual wheel house!!

February 21 2014 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rayce

American Taliban are at it again....hating everyone different from themselves. What a bunch of sick, maladjusted pukes.

February 21 2014 at 11:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rayce's comment
joyces78626

Republican are Tailban in disguise

February 21 2014 at 11:59 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Noah

"I am grateful to God . . . for good health. I am grateful for my . . . long-time girlfriend, Amber."
She may be grateful now for her physical health but if she should decide to read the Word of God she would find that her spiritual health is currently destitute.

February 21 2014 at 11:37 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
gigi1105

sorry but i loved the show when she was on illness leave!!!! can't stand her.....the whole show has gone down the tubes. i truly celebrities that turn illness into a ratings booster!! what about the thouisands of people who do not have the money to be lucky enough to be cured??? repulses me

February 21 2014 at 11:27 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gigi1105's comment
wlh1923

I don't watch morning TV so couldn't figure out who this deep voiced tranny looking Robin Roberts person was or why she was in the news every day for so long. Robin Roberts? Great Phillies pitcher of the 50's.

Gone for some illness - Yay, out of the news. Back from some illness - Boo, back in the news. Then she comes out as gay? Here all along I thought he/she was a tranny

February 21 2014 at 11:33 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mielkele

Robin has contributed so much to educating people about bone marrow donations! Hope if you or yours ever need one your family/friends will be educated. Amy Rorbach's (sp?) mammogram on the program and subsequent diagnosis has spread the word about getting a mammogram at age 50. Bravo to them!

February 21 2014 at 12:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

What makes this news worthy?

February 21 2014 at 11:25 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.