Obama Asks CEOs For Help Hiring Long-Term Jobless

More than 300 companies have signed on so far

Obama Unemployment
APPresident Barack Obama gives a speech about unemployment benefits on Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014.

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama is asking major corporations for their help in putting the long-term unemployed back to work.

CEOs from companies like Apple, Walmart, Visa and Boeing are heading to the White House on Friday to deliver commitments to do their part. More than 300 companies have signed on so far, the White House said.

Although the unemployment rate has declined to 6.7 percent, long-term joblessness in the U.S. remains a major problem. The concern is that the longer someone is out of a job, the harder it gets to find a new one. Companies are less likely to hire people who haven't used their skills in months or wonder why another employer hasn't already snatched them up.

With that concern in mind, the Obama administration has been working for months to exact commitments from companies to ensure their hiring practices don't discriminate against long-term job-seekers.

That includes doing away with candidate-screening methods that disqualify applicants based on their current employment status. It also means ensuring that jobs ads don't discourage unemployed workers from applying.

The White House couldn't say how many unemployed Americans might benefit from the initiative but expected the effects to snowball.

"We consider this not the destination, but the launch," said Gene Sperling, who heads the White House's National Economic Council. "Our hope is that as people see the meeting with the president, the pledge, that more will come work with us."

Among the companies taking part: Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. and 21st Century Fox. Sperling said he emailed the conservative business mogul about the initiative, and Murdoch personally wrote back to say he supported it.

Obama also plans to sign a presidential memo Friday directing the federal government to apply the same standards to its own hiring practices. And the Obama administration will direct $150 million in grants toward partnership programs that retrain, mentor and place unemployed workers.

The initiative marks the latest attempt by Obama to use what executive authority he has to improve economic conditions for Americans despite a political climate that makes enacting his legislative agenda nearly impossible. In the past, Obama has supported legislation in Congress that would make it illegal for employers to discriminate based on one's employment status or history.

"In terms of legislation. Let's face it: That's not going to happen," Sperling said.

waterhound2

THEN....HE wants to take credit for job creation.......... lol just another lying dem hypocrite

February 02 2014 at 4:10 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Frank

It's my belief that some companies are abusing Temps. Temporary Employment Agencies are making money off of the working people and the companies that are employing these people avoid having to pay better wages and benefits by using them. I know where my wife works that they have been using Temps for quite a few years now and they could have hired these people for permanent employment, but they just have a revolving door as to avoid having to hire them.

February 02 2014 at 4:07 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Perhaps a start might be acknowledging that the unemployment rate isn't 6.7% but rather 26.8% !!??

February 02 2014 at 2:23 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Yes 22nd Century Fox can hire more unemployed Liberal Actors........

February 02 2014 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Obama should have been working in Jobs from his first day in Office;
not worried about things like Gitmo,
or NFL Concussions,
or making up racial incidents like the professor arrested for breaking into his own house; when he refused to identify himself to police and then having a white house beer luncheon over t trying to get the poice to apologize for doing their jobs !!???

February 02 2014 at 2:14 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Obama doesn't have any idea how to create jobs;
so he's reduced to begging CEO's.
Even with all of the Mental ( Not Gun ) cases; Obama hasn't even asked congress for funding for one ( 1 ) more
psychiatrist and/or two ( 2 ) more health aides per state !!!????

February 02 2014 at 2:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bob

It dont matter what they do!! I own a little small company and I have had people come in to fill out applications etc. We were going to hire three of them in the past. All three told me, they didnt want a job, they are only there so they can report back to the unemployment office to prove they are looking for work.. I ran their worthless asses out of my office and told them to never come back again!!!! I am sure they just went to another company to do the same!!!! NOW are you starting to see the problems?? Ifs not there is no work, but, the ones drawing that free money dont want to work!! Why would they???????????? God help us all!!

February 02 2014 at 2:02 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bob's comment
got2dobies

Did you report them? If not, that's part of the problem.

February 02 2014 at 2:07 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Michele

I'm sorry, but I don't believe your story. I was laid off Dec. 26, 2012
and soon after came down with Pneumonia and landed in the hospital. I was very ill from Dec. til mid Feb. 2013. That is a very long time to be sick. I finally feel well enough to physically start working again. I start applying for work high and low, to just about everywhere. No calls are coming for interviews. Baffled me as I'd never been out of work for more than 1-2 months after being laid off in the past. I am not getting those calls because they see how long I have been out of work. Not willing to give someone a chance. But also know, that when they see my application/resume, they see my employment is that of working in the healthcare field and see the money I made and are not willing to give me a chance. Which is sad, they are passing up a very hard and dedicated worker. Granted, yes, I may leave for that job in the healthcare field, but then again, i may stay with you as well. Even when I was sick with Pneumonia, I did look for work and had to pass up applying as I knew there was no way I could work with being so ill. So, it killed me to see jobs that I had to pass up.
Employers don't know that I was ill with Pneumonia, they just see on the application/resume how long I have been out of work.

I blame ObamaFraudCare for this demise as well. And the Employers who are not willing to look past the fact that person has been out of work for some time, or past the age 50 or, the fact that earned a certain income and worked at a certain job for years. So what that I haven't worked in some time, so what that I worked in the same field for years, so what that I made a certain income, so what that I am age 50 plus? I can still do the job. I want to work, I need to work. I am not over qualified.

I am unemployed. I am a human being who is just barely surviving because no one is willing to look past those facts.

February 02 2014 at 3:00 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michele's comment
gneutron

I'm sorry you were sick and hopefully are better now. Even at my age "54" I know if i were to lose my job tomorrow I could find another within a week. It may not be what I want but it would be a job.

February 02 2014 at 3:20 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down
dutchhollo

How much will this cost us since it will have Obama's name on it all.? The man is an educated Idiot.

February 02 2014 at 1:59 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
bbenz56

First he fights to make it easier for people to rely on unemployment payments for a longer time and then he wants to fight for them to get hired ahead of those who did the right thing by taking jobs instead of collecting free money for years. Most employers would be more impressed by someone who had the work ethic of taking a job rather than being unemployed for long periods of time. Of course someone like Obama who never really held a private sector job would not understand this comcept!

February 02 2014 at 1:06 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
corynpsl32

what a joke........companies do not need him to tell them to hire...pretty please ! companies hire WHEN THINGS ARE GOING GOOD AND THEY NEED TO ADD PEOPLE......

February 02 2014 at 1:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to corynpsl32's comment
Michele

Thanks to ObamaFraudCare...this is why they are not willing to hire.

February 02 2014 at 3:02 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply