Uncle Sam Will Pay $3,000 To Give You The Flu

Healthy and under 50? Here's a way to make some quick money

If you've got some time on your hands and a willing disposition, the federal government wants to give you the flu in exchange for $3,000. The National Institutes of Health has issued a call for test subjects to get a live dose of flu virus straight up their noses, the Associated Press reports.

Dr. Matthew Memoli, who is leading the human challenge study, says volunteers who are healthy and no older than 50 are eligible to participate. It's all in an effort to gain a deeper understanding of how the body fights influenza, stage by stage.

Participants must agree to spend at least nine days quarantined in a special isolation ward at the NIH hospital until they are shown to be non-contagious. Memoli says it's hoped scientists can study younger people to create more effective flu vaccines to help the most vulnerable elderly population.

One 26-year-old test participant said he passed his flu time studying, watching TV and playing games.

As has been reported by AOL Jobs sister site Daily Finance, The National Institutes of Health has 300 studies that need volunteers. You can find more by searching for 'medical test volunteers' online.

Quezz Burton

Where do i sign up

June 07 2014 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn Solomon

I'm interested, need the money can't find a job at the moment.

May 21 2014 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isaac Mendoza

Were do i sign up

February 19 2014 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Where do i sign up

February 09 2014 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Darn, too bad I am 52. I'd do that!

February 01 2014 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana Lynne Wyatt

A few words on the hole work or no work story and I I'm 35 a only worked about 5 years of my life but I'm very mentally ill a should have never been around people go fired because my boss was abusived to all of worked there and I got unempolment too now doctor will no longer let me work but I've tried

February 01 2014 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IN MY OPINION ONLY

$3,000 to die, no thanks.

January 30 2014 at 5:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lisa

Yeah I have a comment, why are you testing on those younger than 50 when it is those 50 and over
getting the worst part of the deal and some even dying if you are going to test I think you should test
in groups of age rather than up to the age of 50 that way you will know how the flu affects every age
group and then you can make a better vaccine based on all ages that will be affected.

January 29 2014 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lisa's comment
proteus12544

I think they are not testing on those over 50 for the reasons you wrote. They get it harder have a harder time fighting it and can die.

January 30 2014 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to proteus12544's comment
Jamie Conley

I agree... People over 50 are dieing if they inject them with the virus they are put to death. Versus under 50 could give a cure for those over 50...

January 30 2014 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
papajokr

Trust our government? HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA.

January 29 2014 at 7:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Moffitt

Where is hospital? Want to know more

January 28 2014 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply