Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Himself -- Again

Nurses thought the police chief was kidding

Fox59
Call it embarrassing. As the saying goes, police officers are there to preserve order and protect the public. Sometimes that means the use of deadly force through discharging a weapon, along with all the paperwork and explanations that accompany the action.

Other times, though, a pistol will only serve to keep officers on their toes. Or off them, literally, as Connersville, Indiana police chief David Counceller has learned. For the second time in 15 years.

According to the Indy Star, the 34-year veteran of the Connersville Police Department accidentally shot himself in the leg with a 40-caliber Glock handgun. This was the second time in 15 years that Counceller had accidentally shot himself.

The first time, he was acting as a third-shift captain and was unloading a gun before taking it to the gunsmith. Counceller failed to check if there was a bullet in the chamber. There was and it went through his hand. "That one really hurt," he told the Indy Star.

This time, he was at a local gun shop. Counceller, off-duty at the time, had taken his Glock out to compare the firearm to a newer model. All was fine until he returned the gun to its holster.

"It got tangled in my clothing," Counceller said of his weapon. "I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor."

Counceller is no stranger to the public eye, though usually the attention is more focused on his duties, like when he was looking for citizens to come forward and help solve a string of attacks on women. He is currently running in the May primary for Fayette County sheriff.

According to the most recent statistics available from the Firearm and Injury Center at the University of Pennsylvania, firearms accidents are common. The total number of non-fatal unintentional injuries from firearms was 81,260 from 2003 to 2007. About 71 percent of all non-fatal firearm injuries are unintentional. More than 70 percent of unintended non-fatal injuries occur to a leg or arm. Of all gun injuries, 38 percent are hospitalized while 29 percent are treated and released. Another 31 percent are fatal, and in 2 percent, the outcome is unknown.

Counceller told Pal-Item.com that the accident was "pure carelessness" on his part. He drove himself to the Fayette Regional Health System. Nurses thought that he was joking.

The nurses that treated him weren't the only ones who thought that Counceller was kidding. Initially, Connersville Mayor Leonard Urban thought that Counceller was joking when he called to report the accident, according to Pal-Item.com.

"It was just a little accident. Dave is an excellent marksman," Urban said Monday. "Apparently the Glocks don't have the trigger safety that they should have."

That's a double yup. Clearly Glocks should have better trigger safety (at least for certain people), and Counceller's aim has been historically true.

Police Chief Asks For Help After Six Women Are Attacked

ngbiker1

I thought police officers are trained in firearm use? obviously this chief needs a refresher course.

March 20 2014 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevinhh108

We had a saying when I was a policeman and it's true for almost every police dept. SCREW UP AND YOU GO UP !

February 06 2014 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Firefly Tech

OMG, why dont they take his weapon away from him for our safety and his. Someone needs to demote this guy, I would hate him to train the people that protect me.

February 06 2014 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gmgpjandon

Wonder what determines the rank of police chiefs? I see some are five star generals, and all the way down to one star. Is it just an ego thing or what?

February 06 2014 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jansmemories40

Clearly, Chief Counceller needs to attend a firearms safety course, or give up his weapon.
He actually presents a danger
not only to himself, but others as well. My father was the rangemaster for Maricopa County, for many years
and this exhibition of incompetence would have led my father to recommend a hearing, or worse, the loss of a job. He would never have allowed this to have happened on his watch.
I am amazed that the citizens there have not called for him to step down. With the high rates of Officer involved shootings, both bad and good, most of America are more than a little bit afraid of these loose cannons.

February 06 2014 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shotbag

How freakin embarrassing , he should retire.

February 06 2014 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edward1xx101

That a 34 year police chief has any fire arm accident is a no brainer.I would not w3ant him around me or anyone i know if he had a weapon on his person. I am 78 and have been around fire arms since 11 years of age.Taught all types of wepons in the army for ten years.Guess I'm lucky nothing never happend.

February 06 2014 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yooper

What does a police chief need to carry a gun for any way? If he insists on carrying, he should do what I did while in the military (5 years) I never carried a bullet in the chamber, had to pull the slide back to load a shell in the chamber. This served three purposes, loaded the gun, cocked the hammer and let people know I was serious.

February 06 2014 at 12:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to yooper's comment
smclaugmac

I agree with you, That said, the military now generally requires pistols to be carried in condition 1, round in the chamber. My impresion is, this guy is a gun nut. These modern firearms (so I'm told) are also often built without safety devices. I don't like his chances for election to sheriff but salute him for a 34 year career in law enforcement.

February 06 2014 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Practical Nomad

If he's the Chief of Police, this is one town that should be scared. He doesn't look like Don Knotts or Gerald Ford, but it sure sounds like he acts like them. Take away this guy's gun and give him a club or something.

February 06 2014 at 12:40 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
clark

just give this guy one bullet that he keeps in his shirt pocket like barney,,,geeez...

February 06 2014 at 12:06 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply