CNN Pot Reporter Gets Stoned On Colorado Story

Reporter Randi Kaye gave her all for 'Gone to Pot' segment

CNN
No question reporting can be a dangerous occupation. But not every story is in a war zone and sometimes the impact of a story on a journalist can be pretty funny. At least it was when CNN broadcast its latest Gone to Pot segment on a cannabis tour of Colorado, which just made recreational pot legal. And as Gawker reported, journalist Randi Kaye seemed more toked than stoked after spending a day around people who were sampling the local goods.

With a big smile -- no, bigger ... bigger -- and a readiness to giggle at almost anything, Kaye's on-air demeanor during a segment of Anderson Cooper 360° suggested she had really gotten into the story and become part of it. She seemed so far gone that Anderson Cooper good-naturedly grilled her on air.

Cooper: "So, Randi, I gotta ask ... um, how extensive was your research in the back of that limo?"

Kaye: "You know, Anderson, it was top notch. We did very extensive research, I have to tell you. Um, my brain was a little fuzzy..."

Cooper: "Really?"

Kaye: "... by the time I got out of there. Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking right, I couldn't remember even some of the questions I wanted to ask in the interview, which has never happened to me when I'm reporting in the field, and I found things to be really funny. Um, much funnier than I normally do. So, I think we got a little bit of a contact high, there."

Cooper: "But it was just a contact high, I just want to make that clear. Is that correct?"

Kaye: "Ye-es, it was just a contact because they, you know, they don't have vaporizers yet, even though a lot of the companies want to use them, so, um, the smoke was still there as you could see in that video, there was a lot of smoke, so I don't know how those people did it. I really don't."

She sure doesn't sound like a stone-cold stoner. But can someone really get a contact high? It's a bit fuzzy ... like so many things in a Ganja World. Although there are many anecdotes about people getting contact highs and claiming to have failed drug tests because of them, medical experts tend to disagree with the notion, as Columbia Health notes. Someone can get trace amounts of THC, the chemical responsible for the high, in their blood for about 24 hours, but at levels so small that a drug test shouldn't pick them up.

The site Weedmag says that a contact high might be possible for someone who doesn't smoke regularly and is susceptible to the effects of THC, but "it's more likely you're imagining it." So, maybe Cooper was giving her an out. But that didn't keep him from making her the subject of his show's RidicuList feature for the week.

Hopefully the contact mellow will last longer than the contact high, because the jokes will likely still be around long after the munchies are over.

Tim and Marnie

This law legalizing pot should never had been passed. The lawmakers should be ashamed of themselves.
This will lead to stoned professionals on the job who are to protect people.
They can explain this to the teens who will be willing to smoke this crap.
The second part of this story is that the people will be controlled much easier and your wonderful government will control the masses by any means.

January 18 2014 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim and Marnie's comment
morefina

Legalizing pot will lead to stoned professionals just as legal alcohol has lead to drunk professionals! You're a genious! You must be a republican because all you do is lead by fear; ex. rock n' roll will lead to...(great music), gay marriage will lead to...(happiness & equality), but you keep trying!!

January 18 2014 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to morefina's comment
kkmnts

gimme an f---in break...Just decriminalize pot and don't allow us to have another epidemic of an addiction..We see what legalizing ALCOHOL did!!!!

January 18 2014 at 8:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
Old Guy In Stanton

>>>>".....This will lead to stoned professionals on the job who are to protect people.

Does the fact that alcohol is legal lead to stoned professionals?

If yes, then should alcohol be made (again) illegal?
If no, then when what is your point?

They can explain this to the teens who will be willing to smoke this crap.

January 23 2014 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim and Marnie

This law should never have been passed period it sends the wrong message to teen agers in other states.
We will have stoned professionals in every field that is to protect people. This is about money and only money.

January 18 2014 at 3:02 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
ffishb

I let her take a few tokes on MY doobie! But she BETTER SWALLOW!

January 16 2014 at 7:06 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
fourstrongwinds4

We need this legal like a hole in the head. Now I have to get dizzy walking by people who feel it is now their right to pollute my air and mess with my head.

A drug (yup, it is a drug) that can make one as paranoid as a schizo, cannot be called a 'harmless' drug. What pot smokers don't realize is this drug doesn't affect everyone in exactly the 'laid back' delightful way it seems to affect those who love it so much. For some, they get extreamly paranoid, anxiety attacks and panicy. I get such a racing heart I can see it, it's awful. I find that women more than men have more negative reactions to it. So, legal or not, it should not be allowed to be smoked out in the open. Unlike alcohol, this second hand smoke affects others in a very personal way. Contact high is not fun for everyone!

January 16 2014 at 5:55 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to fourstrongwinds4's comment
barber1229

Second hand smoke affects people exposed to tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke.

January 16 2014 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
surfcurls

"If you want to get to the most relevant part of the clip, you can forward to 4:30. (Or should that be 4:20?)"
The writer must have been high ?

January 16 2014 at 5:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to surfcurls's comment
Old Guy In Stanton

I think that was sarcasm.

January 23 2014 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rafazio1968

Its funny how everyone interprets marijuana compared to booze! Booze is clinically proven to cause more damage to the human body than marijuana but its legal everywhere! Do the research people, this may not be a good answer to legalizing but the facts stand behind their decision. If you want to bring in political reasons, lets see, it will lower the "war on drugs" costs, the tax money will lower taxes, it will create jobs.....I do not smoke nor am an advocate, but I don't see this country making alcohol illegal anytime soon. Why not create a new revenue flow that can help alleviate the deficit and taxes?

January 16 2014 at 4:48 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rafazio1968's comment
ripone4fun

I'm not against legalizing marijuana, but I am willing to bet that the tax benefits will not lower taxes or create tax solutions. The reason being is simple. Our government will just find more ways to wastefully/foolishly spend the additional tax revenue. And once again history will repeat itself and we will continue to dig a bigger hole for our economy.

January 16 2014 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
morefina

You can also go with the comparison that pot has NEVER killed a single person, yet alcohol has either directly or indirectly killed millions over the years! It simply comes down to the alcohol lobby is very rich & powerful in DC!

January 18 2014 at 8:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
green gate farm

So as the old saying goes,"gone to pot", has been literally fulfilled.

January 16 2014 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the902inc

I still think the worst thing that Colorado could have ever done was to legalize pot for recreational use~

January 16 2014 at 3:13 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
playboycovergirl

Can someone tell her you can not get a contact high !!!!!! Reporter Randi Kaye please do a bit on contact highs........ Everything was great in the report now you will scare off anyone that dont smoke to be around people that smoke , thanks a lot! It has been proven that you cant get a contact high or over half of people that are on probation would fail for that alone!!!!!!!

January 16 2014 at 2:22 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply