Once again J.T. writes another ultra-simplistic article that doesn't address the real problems associated with job hunting.

One of the first things that you are taught when you are looking for a new job is to customize your resume for each position you apply for. Since LinkedIn does *NOT* provide individuals with that functionality, it forces candidates to create profiles that include everything to ensure maximum visibility by recruiters, hiring managers and other interested parties.

It is for this reason that people like me tend to err on the side of providing MORE information rather than less and for the recruiters who have problems understanding my background, may I suggest a job where you don't have to rack your brain over the fact that someone has a longer than (perceived) average profile.

April 13 2014 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

im not looking to get hired just yet. I'm very curious of how you assist people in finding the right job.

February 12 2014 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Spot on and applicable. A rare breakout of practical, pragmatical observations and suggestions. Well done.

January 14 2014 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

A very insightful article that goes beyond the usual Linkedin tips and allows you to screen away with a few nuggets to quickly apply on improving your profile. Thank you JT.

January 14 2014 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Uhal

It was like you were takling directly to me with this article. With 25+ years of computer aided design and reverse engineering, I've done it all and then some. But today I'll start to rewrite my resume and linkedin profile. It is a shame that hard work for so many years, and always trying to learn and becoming expert at new skills and technology can be a persons downfall, when trying to sell yourself in todays job market. Just like relearning the newest skill sets in my field, I'll learn to recreate what I look like to HR personell.
Rick U

January 14 2014 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SP Ranjan

good article...

January 14 2014 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Great article, J.T.! I have the very same problem, except my experience doesn't reside with just one company--it's a series of positions, all related to technology in some form, throughout my entire career.

Since I have worked at a director-level position in my past, and want to get there again, I'm using my broad-based skill set as the platform to lay out my qualifications in seeking senior IT management positions. I haven't had any luck yet, and would appreciate feedback or suggestions on tailoring the suggestions in the article to my circumstances.

January 13 2014 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply