Stuart Pitcher

Some of those responses from managers are awful. I have 14 tattoos and each one I spent 6 months with a picture pinned to my wall so I could make sure I loved the image,hardly compulsive and ignorant of the future, I have an IQ of 170 so bang goes the uneducated image, in 6years i've been late to work once because me and my girlfriend broke up. I really think a lot of businesses need to start ignoring what people look like and start paying attention to their personality and how they act.

February 19 2014 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I find it ridiculous how so many companies and daily people are against tattooing. A tattoo has nothing to do with a persons social status, or whether they are a good worker. I mean one needs to be cautious not to have a gang tattoo or a nazi tattoo somewhere on them because that is a form of hate and I can understand having an issue with it. If someone has a little rose tattoo on their wrist or something, how does that make them seem less educated? Or impulsive? Most people who have tattoos take precious time to decide what they want. The tattoos I have mean a lot to me...all in all people need to stop worrying about this little petty stuff and just let people be themselves. Aren't we regulated enough??

January 25 2014 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erase Tattoo Removal

Wow, this is a great article. It really gives people with tattoos hope.

December 19 2013 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As a hiring IT manager with 4 teams/40 staff, who is sleeved out and then some, also possessing dual college degrees, yada, yada, I am looking for creative, talented team members that will add value to the organization. PERIOD. If I see tatts, I'm intrigued; not turned off. That would be the case even if I wasn't tatted. My son's middle school principal was sleeved, although he wore a suit daily (who knew). He was a great principal.

I can understand a business having an image they want to convey, and it is their prerogative to do so. The responses noted in this article are less about the image a company wants as opposed to closed-minded conclusion about a candidate that sound like their from the 1970's school of HR.

Interesting to read these very old myths still exist.

November 14 2013 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Career Sidekick

I like these tips a lot. It shouldn't be necessary to start your own business or pick an industry specifically because of your tattoos if you follow the advice here. Although there's nothing wrong with starting your own business if you want that type of freedom. I just think the tips here are good, and that it shouldn't be necessary.

November 13 2013 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Wow! I knew the corporate world discriminated against tats....but the reasons why kind of shocked me a little.

It took me many years to decide on my first tattoo BECAUSE it's such a permanent thing. I mean, I can see where they get the impulsive idea from in that many people do get tattoos on impulse and don't consider the fact that it is in fact a permanent accessory to your body (you have to consider things like are you gonna like 10, 20, 50 years from now, will the spot you put it at stretch it as your body changes through out the years, if you plan to hide it, can you hide it? will it still mean something to you later on in life? will you like it when you're wearing an evening gown or wedding dress or bathing suit? etc) and many people do regret their first tattoos.
...and when we're young, it can be about rebelling.

But we all grow up. Even if we did it out of rebelliousness and/or impulsiveness, we all grow up and learn some time and are no longer that way. So the advice is good if you can't hide certain tattoos to be the first to talk about them head on. Acknowledge the fact that it appears you may be impulsive/rebellious (and if you really were at the time, admit to it) but state how you learned from it in the time since. Or if you did think about it (and wanted the tattoo to be as hard to hide as it is, or you choose not to conceal it), show it means something to you and you put thought behind it

November 06 2013 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Reading the comments - looks to me like an awful lot of people (who apparently put in a lot of thought about getting a tatoo) didn't take into consideration that prospective employers might be narrow-minded, ignorant and 'just plain stupid'. Need I say more?!

November 06 2013 at 8:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Adelaide Maisy

Employers who discriminate on the basis of whether a prospective employee has a tattoo when compared with others need to open up their mind. A tattoo is an expression of a person's self and as such should be treated with respect. I've had a tattoo for years (a small lily on my forearm from and have never ever faced any discrimination due to it. The only exceptions would be big and offensive tattoos that are too loud and might convey a negative impression. This is 21st century folks!

October 28 2013 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Tattoos are a sign of demonic possession.

October 27 2013 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

tatoos are childish i dont have them and wont one day you will have saggy skin and ink yep thats what customers want to see

October 23 2013 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply