Furloughed IRS Worker Goes On Hunger Strike Until Shutdown Ends

Ohio woman has lost 10 pounds since Oct. 7

WLWT
The government shutdown has been a massive headache for some 500,000 furloughed federal workers, as the Los Angeles Times recently put it. But one employee of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has taken an extraordinary step to vent her anger over the shutdown. Ohio resident Donna Smith, who works for the IRS in a federal building in Cincinnati, decided to go on a hunger strike until government officials agree to end the shutdown so she can go back to work.

Morrow told local NBC outlet WLWT she's lost 10 pounds since she began her fast on Oct. 7. And she's taking a hard line with her protest; she's only drinking water, tea and Ensure shakes. She even skipped out on a celebratory meal for her 35th anniversary.

In speaking to WLWT, Morrow said the fast was to broadcast her disgust over the current political climate. "I thought, 'I've got my husband and I've got my family and I'll be OK.' But it's time to walk the walk and this is non-violent and this is my own personal protest," she said.

For Morrow, who's been working with the IRS for 12 years, the fast has been deeply meaningful. She says it's helped her find her "spiritual center."

And she's doing more than just staying away from food; she's even written a letter to Speaker of the House John Boehner. "Put yourself on the line," she said to members of Congress while being interviewed by WLWT.

Smith may not be able to return to the kitchen in the immediate future. Attempts this week to come up with a plan to fund the government have failed to solve the impasse.

"I just want to go back to work. I want to get paid for the work I do," she told WLWT.

What do you think of Smith's hunger strike? Share your comments below.

gardenpass

I think she should go on a hunger strike without the Ensure drinks until the IRS is no longer being used to push Obama's personal agendas.
Oh, sorry, bye bye MS Smith.

October 17 2013 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane goose

Looks like it wouldn\'t hurt her. Should close IRS permanently.

October 17 2013 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wiliwom

Government , union cubicle rats, overweight, overpaid & feeding at the public trough. I'm sick to death, supporting your greedy grasping lifestyle, your day is coming & it won't be pretty.

October 17 2013 at 12:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
chapython

She should have written a letter to senate democrat leader reid. She is not really on a hunger strike, more of a publicity strike. With the water and ensure she could live for years, older people do in nursing homes.

Her quote

October 16 2013 at 11:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
My Dear Gregoire

Easy way to lose weight. She loks like she could lose a lot of pounds

October 16 2013 at 11:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stlshawkins

I was going to comment but believe she has enough problems as it is.

October 16 2013 at 11:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
donhatfieldemn

Keep the IRS closed, us taxpayers need a break for a while

October 16 2013 at 10:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ickster01

It looks like she could use to lose a few pounds.

October 16 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
therigel

The human body can go over three weeks without food, especially if someone is overweight. However, if a person chooses to go without water, the survival time is less than five days. That is the reason you never see anyone go on a water strike.

October 16 2013 at 9:48 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Danny

Looking at those chuncky arms, she can last a good while.

October 16 2013 at 9:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply