Campaign For Racist Receipt Waitress Draws 5-Figure Tip

"Tips for Toni" campaign collects $10,749

Waitress Who Received Racist Receipt Gets Big Tip From The Internet

The Red Lobster waitress who said a customer left her a receipt with a racist slur has received the tip of a lifetime. An online fundraising campaign from supporters who read about her story has yielded $10,749.

Toni Christina Jenkins of Franklin, Tenn., said she was shocked when she saw a receipt on the table with "none" on the "Tip" line and the N-word on the "Total" line.

"I was just stunned that it happened," Jenkins, 19, said. "It's not something that you think in our generation would actually take place, so I was just blown away by it."

After posting a picture of the receipt to Facebook Sept. 10, her story sparked outrage online, prompting a California man to take action. Matthew Hanson, founder of AddictingInfo.org, heard Jenkins' story and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni" that collected $10,749 in place of Jenkins' non-tip on the bill for $44.53.

"It was about sending a message to racists that Americans aren't going to tolerate that," Hanson said. "We raised $10,000 within seventy-two hours. It was really amazing."

Hanson presented the check Sept 30 to Jenkins, who was unaware of the fundraiser.

"I literally screamed. I was so confused," Jenkins said. "I was just so thankful. I felt so blessed and so honored that so many people came together on my behalf to give this to me."

Citing a company policy that prohibits employees from posting a guest receipt online, Red Lobster suspended Jenkins with pay after the story went public, but she has now resumed work.

"We are disgusted by the language used on this guest check and it has no place in our restaurant or anywhere else," a Red Lobster representative said in a statement to ABC News. "We were in constant communication with [our server] throughout this situation and have extended her a high degree of respect and caring for what happened. No one should have to endure what our employee went through."

Some online commenters have called the authenticity of the receipt into question, but Jenkins stands by her story.

"I was just trying to create awareness that racism is still taking place in this generation," Jenkins said. "For people who think it's fake, my heart goes out to them and I wish them the best."

A rash of receipts left with racist remarks have made headlines recently, from a Papa John's employee who identified a customer as "lady chinky eyes" to a CVS employee referring to an Asian woman as "Ching Chong Lee" on her receipt.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Filed under: Employment News

AOL Jobs Staff

Staff Compilations

Mr. & Mrs. Moore

Why does everything have to be about race? If a black person kills a white person racism is at the root of it and vise versa. My family is a mixture of races including black and white. Have you ever spoken to a European? Do you know that they refer to us as Americans? Imagine that. Who's gonna sue her? She never revealed the person or people that did this. Black people were kidnapped vrom their native land by Europeans and were mistreated. That my friends is something to be pissed about. Europeans, good ole Christopher Columbus, came to America and took the land from the Native Americans. Did you catch that, "Native" Americans. After doing so they claimed the land as their own. That too is something to be pissed about.

Believe it or not we all amke fun of eachother and ourselves. The world is a screwed up place and so are the people in it. Even the ones that are commenting on this story. I gues when everyone looks in the mirror they are seeing someone else and not themselves.

October 21 2013 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mr. & Mrs. Moore's comment
linkin park rock

OK think about what you just said. No black is gonna write ni@#@r like that, it's always someone else who brings race into something that doesn't even require it and you're right it is ridiculous hearing about it all the time but you know if you want to stop hearing about be a part of the solution...Start teaching your kids about other races , start getting them intertwined with reality so they don't become ignorant, entitled ********!

October 21 2013 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justinmooretx

Why are people that don't even know this girl commenting about her like she is some common criminal. I honestly don't get it. If you have so much hate in your heart for Black Americans. Maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror and evaluate your true self worth.

October 21 2013 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anonymus

This is a scam. The guy who ordered the meal swears he or his wife would never have written that and has hired an attorney to help him prove it because he is getting threats and his reputation is ruined. I saw the receipt online and the N word did not look anything like his writing. I believe this kind gentleman who sent her the money has done so a little early. We will see what comes of this. He will never get a cent of it back,

October 11 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anonymus's comment
justinmooretx

Didn't know you were there.

October 21 2013 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eeverettm

Blacks make fun of Asians, just ask Johnny Crockett, but they don't sue or whine about it.

October 11 2013 at 5:18 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to eeverettm's comment
Angbii@aol.com

I'm Black, and I don't make fun of Asians. And who is Johnny Crockett. I've heard of Davy Crockett, but he lived quite a long time ago. If he were alive today and I saw him with his iconic hat, I'd still not make fun of him, because I understand he was a pro with a rifle!

October 12 2013 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justinmooretx

The first word made your comment irrelevant. Get a life.

October 21 2013 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doughertyhan

Wow! I have been called whitey and cracker by customers. One was mad that we couldn't take her expired and invalid coupon, another one was mad at me for telling him he couldn't cut the line, I had one who was pissed off at me for not letting her kid cut the line. and several of them because I carded them for smokes. These are all rules that I have to follow because of my job and I have said the same thing to customers who were white, asian, etc. but for some reason some (not all) of my darker skinned customers feel they are allowed to break the rules. Where is my $10,000?

October 11 2013 at 5:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tab4859

why if she was so upset did it take her 3 days 2 post it and why does she look so happy in video and a brand new dress oops the stupid people in this world collected money so she wont be mad someone called her a n**** which she is for pulling off this scam

October 11 2013 at 5:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bluezwmn

I figured this story would bring out the haters...no surprise here. Talk about showing your "true colors..."

October 11 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Purple Shell

This must really be eating at the bigot that left the note. It is the best revenge.

October 11 2013 at 4:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
thefigger

Most of the people that don't like our president is because they don't like black people. BELIVE IT

October 11 2013 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to thefigger's comment
eeverettm

Obama is just a puppet with a seductive grin to deceive us, who uses his skin color to get his way. If he doesn't get his way, then he calls it racism. Typical. Reid is the one that is running the show.

October 11 2013 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randi

Get over it, I have had racial slurs yelled at me before and I am white, but nothing gets done about that for the simple fact that I am white. The blacks need to get the heck over it and quit crying wolf. What ever happened to the black teens who shot and killed the white man because they were bored in Oklahoma. Oh yea..... nothing was really said about it because they were black, and goodness you can't say anything about that. Get over it. Gosh!

October 11 2013 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Randi's comment
Angbii@aol.com

"The blacks" don't need to do anything just because you suggest it. Actually, it is people like you need to get over thinking that every person of a particular race is the same.

October 12 2013 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big Ed

Hay Randy I'm Black and I love every one the same but you can't get over racial bigotry from people becuase its so deeply routed in us black men and women, its sad what happen to those kids that was also a tragedy, I don't want to sound like a hypocrite but were is the justice for are grandparents mother and father that were lynched rap and beaten and falsy accused they will never get justice. Were the justice for latasha halens the young that was shout in the back of the buy a Korean store owner the only that happen to her was she was deported back to korea or China. Were the buttle of all office joke we get the bad repitation from the media like its only black and latinos who are screw up in society. I normally don't rrespond to comments on things like this it just bother me we people say just get over it or that suff happen so long ago people change.

October 17 2013 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.