10 Disappearing Careers

These industries are shrinking and heading for extinction.

Everyone knows the economy is in transition and once thriving industries are quickly vanishing, a victim of new technology and global shifts. But which jobs are dying off the fastest? Which ones should young job seekers and career changers avoid? AOL Jobs mined the data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), coming up with a list of the 10 fastest shrinking careers.

First some good news: overall, the U.S. is projected to add a 20.5 million new jobs by the end of the decade, according to BLS projections. In fact, roughly nine out of the ten occupations tracked by the BLS are expected to see net growth between 2010-2020 (read our story of the fastest-growing industries). But what about the other ten percent? See below for ten most endangered careers:

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

samginest

So . . . Before 2020, we need to:
1) Start growing our own fruits and vegetables, OR start forming community cooperatives that serve the same purpose.
2) Start re-learning how to make our own clothing without the benefit of high-speed sewing machines. (For the uninitiated, that means buying our own fabric, creating our own patterns, and stitching by hand).
3) Start re-learning the ages-old system of receiving mail from complete strangers. (The only real down-side to that approach is that you might never know what was actually in the envelope when it was entrusted to the carrier).

October 01 2013 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
musicmome5

I was sorry to hear about farmers and ranchers and post office workers. What will those services be replaced with? Seems if any jobs should be deleted, it should be articles like this and the people that write them.

September 30 2013 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to musicmome5's comment
M

My mailbox has been a mini-PObox serving about a dozen houses since the early 1980s.
That was REQUIRED by the Post Office back then, so they would not need to have a PO delivery person come to mailboxes at the houses\' front door, in the weather, braving dogs and children, and saving time in the process.
That sounds good, but the mail isn\'t sorted roght, and/or not put in the correct slot. Since the very first year, we all have been having mail either not delivered, or put in the wrong box. Sometimes the machines are not sorting mail to the correct street.
Additionally, I know I have not been receiving all my mail. The really bad news is that I don\'t know what mail I am missing, by the fact that I cannot know all the mail I am supposed to receive. I can only know about what mail I expect, and don\'t receive. One had a bank card collection person call DEMANDING to know my new address! Apparently it got put in the wrong box, and whoever got it marked it something like \"No such person at this address\", and it was returned to the bank. All that happened before the payment due date, so that all came as a surprise.
It did have an effect on my credit rating, a;;egedly due to a \"new address\" flag in the credit bureau records. I had not moved, and still have not moved in over 15 years. There have been as many as six different addresses in at least one of my credit reports.

October 06 2013 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vonossko

If it were up to the T party people, everything and everyone would be deleted, especially anyone involved in government services.

September 30 2013 at 10:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vonossko's comment
Shane

I read stupid comments under articles everyday but this is up there with the most ignorant comments I have read in a while. I will agree that TEA Party people would love to see a HUGE reduction in government employees right along with the total elimination of many departments on the Federal level and the restrictions that go along with those job killing agencies. The private sector would see huge growth at that point and the TEA Party people would love to see that. So are you an east coats liberal that lives outside of reality or a college student who has never paid taxes?

January 26 2014 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patking176

I've been a medical transcriptonist for many years. No more. There's a computer program called voice recognition and it's taken my job. )-:

September 30 2013 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yakmann2

A nother BULLSHIT article from AOL! When do these airheads gonna figure out WE WANT to see the article not the teaser.

September 30 2013 at 9:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Audrey De Jesus

THE POST OFFICE ???? WILL STILL BE AROUND FOR MANY YEARS TO COME, BUT SMALLER. I PREDICT THAT ALL MAIL BOXES WILL BE ON THE CURB, SO CARRIERS WON'T HAVE TO GET OUT OF THEIR TRUCKS.
MANY SMALL OFFICES WILL BE SHUT DOWN----AND POSSIBLY 100% P.O. BOXES ??? NO MORE MAIL DELIVERY TO YOUR HOUSES--OR---BUSINESSES . RETIRED MAIL CARRIER WITH 32 YEARS.

September 30 2013 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Audrey De Jesus

THE END OF AMERICA.. WE WILL BE DEPENDING ON THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES FOR OUR FOOD, CHEAPER TO BUY IT FROM OTHER COUNTRIES. GREED IS DESTROYING AMERICA.........

QUESTION THAT NO ONE IS ASKING ?????? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THE MILLIONS WHO WILL BE UNEMPLOYED ????? OUT OF CONTROL LEGAL IMMIGRATION ????? NO JOBS AND TOO MANY PEOPLE ??? I SEE A HUGE PROBLEM COMING.

September 30 2013 at 8:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Audrey De Jesus's comment
Bailey

Calm down, this article is completely exaggerating about these carriers are going extinct. All these jobs aren't exactly in high demand but they're all extremely necessary. These are just going to shrink a significant amount. I doubt we are going to have an unemployment rate that will get as high as it did in the Depression, there's a lot of jobs that are in pretty high demand right now and I'm sure more job opportunities are going to open up in the future.

September 30 2013 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klemon0320

Don\'t you worry. We\'re going to raise taxes to 100% to pay for the people on welfare and unemployment. Plus with the taxes the undocumented workers pay, we\'ll have a big surplus. Then people will stop bashing the tea party. It will be a real utopia.

September 30 2013 at 10:40 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Vimala Nowlis

Jobs and careers are always being created and disappear every generation throughout history. Among the careers lost include poney express riders, swordsmith and knife polishers, horse grooms, chimney sweepers.

September 30 2013 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuart Hardee

Shrinking maybe, going extinct I seriously doubt it. We are still shipping bills and packages and someone still has to grow food.

September 30 2013 at 8:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stuart Hardee's comment
GoldLions

Hope you're right and that they'll continue grow FOOD on American soil.

September 30 2013 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Slickshit

Why aren\'t MLB umpires & audible car alarm manufacturers included...?

September 30 2013 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply