Beautiful People Have Yet Another Advantage In Job Market

New study documents yet another advantage to being beautiful.

Young woman sitting on floor looking at camera
Getty
Life really is easier for attractive people. They make more money, get promoted faster, and many times are simply more successful. And according to a new study, they have a much easier time job hunting. Italian researchers sent more than 10,000 resumes out, using the same one and changing only first-name, last-name, address, and the photo included to test ethnic and regional biases as well as the impact of beauty.

The average callback rate was 30% across all of the CVs sent out. For attractive women, it was 54%, and for attractive men, 47%.

Unattractive women had by far the worst results, with a 7% callback rate. Unattractive men had a 26% rate.

The callback rates for resumes from non-Italians were lower, 13% for men and 12% for women, though the results testing for attractiveness were more statistically significant.

Regional differences weren't substantial.

The study mirrors the results of another study using a similar design, titled "The Labor Market Return to an Attractive Face: Evidence from a Field Experiment," from researchers looking at Argentina.

There, attractive people had a 36% higher callback rate than unattractive ones, with no variation in qualification. That study used the same photos in different resumes, digitally modifying faces to make them scientifically less attractive.

In the past, attractiveness was more of a factor once you got past the initial review to an interview, especially in countries where it isn't common to attach a headshot to job applications.

Now, it's increasingly common to apply through online platforms like LinkedIn where a profile photo is included, so the advantage the study points to comes into play earlier in the process.

That does come with a caveat though. While the Argentinean and Italian studies found an advantage across both genders, an Israeli study discovered attractive males got a significant boost, but attractive women were discriminated against. They claim to have found evidence that "female jealousy of attractive women in the workplace."

More from Business Insider:
21 Reasons Why You Didn't Get the Job
Why A Self-Made Millionaire Puts His Money On The Line For Struggling Small Businesses
Google's Eric Schmidt: Technology Isn't Destroying Jobs

a10milli

While this may be true for most of the world, living in Italy for the past few years has taught me one thing - Italians emphesis on 'beauty' is epic among countries.

September 17 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adh2

Who beneath the sun or stars did not already know this?

September 16 2013 at 11:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
JOKER

Oh my ugly Brothers and Sisters...let's join toggether...and make the attractive ones...UGLY LMAO!!!!

September 16 2013 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
idcsr1

So GlamourShots should enjoy a resurgence.

September 16 2013 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
riveracj2

So this is verifying once again that if you are attractive face things go easier for that attractive individual. Hmmmmmmm yeah this is news why?

September 16 2013 at 6:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to riveracj2's comment
Innkeeper

You said, also verbatim, what I was going to write!

September 16 2013 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
uncommonsensesc

Who is conducting these studies and (probably) making very good money doing them??? This is nothing that working people don't know already! I know it very well - I used to be a lot slimmer but have gained weight over the years (depression after my mother died). I know I don't look much like my former self and my interviews bear testimony to this! Used to I knew that I had a better than 50% chance of getting a job if I got an interview (on one of my jobs, another employee told me that she knew I had the job when she saw me get out of the car even!). Now getting an interview means absolutely nothing. I'm not hideous but I sure don't have the nice figure I used to and I really think my weight has a lot to do with me not getting the jobs (for some reason, being overweight is supposed to translate to being lazy)!

September 16 2013 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cburkett888

Nothing helps more than "knowing someone" for State jobs. For others, I suggest qualifications and work ethics are the most important.

September 16 2013 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sutt202

Ok. I'm a average good looking guy and have always found it easy to find a good paying job. But I'm also a hard working person. So once I got the job, I earned every promotion I got. Did looks help?? I'm not sure but I am sure my work ethic also helped. And my best buddy who is not anyway close to being good looking is my boss. And he started with me. Go figure. PS- we are both retired now and are still the best of friends.

September 16 2013 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
btwitty101

Slow news day, I guess.... Come on. Tell us something we don't already know. Whether ugly or pretty, homely or handsome, we all see it happen every day and/or night or our lives. The more attractive a person is, the more opportunity they get in return from others. All the sugar coated talkers and liberals thinking "but, that's not fair," (and continue to pursue false hopes for the ugly and homely) need to accept one of life's most important known facts; "Life is never fair for everyone." It never was. It never will be. Life is only what someone makes it for themself, and there's plenty of opportunity for the ugly and homely folks. It's just more likely to be an opportunity outside of the public eyes. I don't anyone prefers to observe ugly or homely over the opposite. If anyone tells you that, well, you're simply hearing a liar (or someone in denial) speaking. That's all. End of story.

September 16 2013 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply