Black Waitress Says She Got Racist Receipt Instead Of Tip

Another receipt -- documenting poor customer behavior -- goes viral.

The American practice of paying waitstaff with tips has lately come under criticism, with some complaining that too often waiters and waitresses are mistreated. Toni Christina Jenkins, a waitress at a Red Lobster in Tennessee, might well agree, as the 19-year-old claims that she received a racist message scrawled on the bill -- instead of a tip, and she uploaded a photo of as proof.

According to the receipt (she uploaded a photo of it to Facebook), one of the customers had written 'none' in the tip line, and the epithet "n-----" beneath it. Darden Restaurants, owner of Red Lobster, among other chains, is investigating. "This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant," said Darden spokesperson Mike Bernstein, via email.

The receipt has since gone viral, having been picked up by sites like Gawker and Reddit. Of course, it helped that Jenkins added some commentary to her Facebook post. "God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee," she wrote.

For her part, Jenkins told the Daily Mail she wasn't all that concerned about getting stiffed because, "God is my provider."

Some online commenters have questioned whether Jenkins added the slur herself. She has since taken down her Facebook post, and is scheduled to continue working her shifts. She also was criticized for not having covered up the credit card info or the scrawled signature of the customer on the receipt, and some questioned whether she doctored the receipt. "Id [sic.] like to call into question the handwriting. totally different from signature," Reddit user ulejas wrote.

But in speaking to the Daily Mail, Jenkins maintained the slur was written by a couple in their twenties. She added the couple didn't respond when she had introduced herself to them and had prematurely asked for their food to go. "They were extremely rude... I offered them dessert but they told me abruptly that they just wanted the check."

Jenkins, who has been working part-time two and a half days a week while she studies nursing, added she was surprised by the attention she's gotten in the media. "When I posted it I thought it might get a few 'likes' from friends and family," she told the Daily Mail. "People praying for me, that kind of thing. I didn't think it would escalate this quickly."

The timing of the alleged incident couldn't have been more awkward. Barely two weeks have passed since the 50th Anniversary of the "March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom," at which Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his, "I Have a Dream" speech. And while such shameless bigotry as allegedly seen on the receipt is no longer the norm as it was in Jim Crow America, the last half-century is also noteworthy for how little has changed. As AOL Jobs reported to mark the anniversary, Blacks are still twice as likely to be unemployed as Whites.

Receipt i Mgr

Dan Fastenberg

Dan Fastenberg

Associate Editor

Dan Fastenberg was most recently a reporter with TIME Magazine. Previously, he was a writer for the Thomson Reuters news service's Latin America desk. He was also a reporter and associate editor for the Buenos Aires Herald while living in South America.

Follow Dan on Twitter. Email Dan at daniel.fastenberg@teamaol.com. Add Dan to your Google+ circles.

2046 Comments

annewing2

Me again. I am white and southern. Our handyman is hispanic and has his green card; his wife is a citizen. His nephew also is hispanic and has his green card, and works for us when our usual handyman can't. Our usual handyman hugs me in front of my husband and his wife, and his wife hugs me and my husband in front of my husband and me. Why?Because we feel like family and we treat each other like family. Both science and religion say that we are all descended from one woman and one man. Why, for heaven's sake, can't we treat each other that way? We are all one family. If I can't hug my distant cousin, who can I hug? If my distant cousin is out of work because he hurt his back and I give him some of my food storage, whose business is that but the two families involved? Can I say "I have my food storage; sorry about you"? If I can't use my exercise bike any more because I broke my back, is there any reason why I can't give iit to my excellent maid? Is there any reason why I can't give a key to my house to my maid and my handyman? I really would like to live in a civilized country, but I don't think there is one.

October 14 2013 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annewing2

I wish to goodnesss marijuana would be legalized. I wish to goodness racism would become socially unacceptable. I desperately need marijuana for back pain, but it is not legal in my state and I don't do street drugs. My close friends include blacks, lesbians, and hispanics. My maid is white, but she is also a close friend. I don't understand racism and I don't understand whjy marijuana is illegal. I'm an ex-cop and I am 70 years old. I grew up in the deep south. Now does it make sense why those things don't make sense to me?

October 14 2013 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DonnaWatts16

my bf's daddy just got a 9 month old Audi A3 by working off of a computer. important link goo.gl/bP7jkF

September 17 2013 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
staticxmachina

OH PLEASE. SHE WROTE THAT IN HERSELF.
Just as soon as she starts getting questioned over the legitimacy of the receipt she pulled the post off of Facebook. (which btw she should be FIRED for not covering up the signature and CC info just as a WHITE waitress was for posting a receipt from a black pastor that simply said "I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD YOU GET 18%?) I can hear it now "oh crap, they might catch on and then i might be in hot water!"

I will be emailing red lobster on this. She needs to be fired.

September 17 2013 at 1:33 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Dury Ayers

Crystle, you're an idiot!

September 17 2013 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystle

Just like the black student that made a water balloon a race issue. Some students threw a water balloon at a black student and it splashed him. He called up the media and the police saying that white students threw a bleach balloon at him. Later on the police found absolutely no bleach on his clothing or in the balloon. As a matter of fact, an hour earlier these students threw a water balloon at a bunch of girls walking by. It had nothing to do with race just some immature students having fun I guess. But immediately the black student made it a race issue. He claims that he could have gotten hurt by that balloon. I have played with water balloons and so has my kids and we have never gotten hurt by one except for our prides maybe. Blacks keep crying wolf over absolutely nothing and soon no one will hear them anymore or care!! The racist word is so overused since 2008 that it has lost most of its meaning and many do not even hear it anymore!

September 16 2013 at 10:14 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Crystle

There is much more hatred and racism from blacks towards whites. The Trayvon/Zimmerman case showed that when he called Zimmerman a "creepy ass cracker". But of course nothing was said because it was black towards white. They made up every excuse they could find to get out of it. AND of course the left liberal media said nothing about it. Just imagine if Zimmerman had called Trayvon something similar to that but towards a black person! Every leftwing liberal media would have it on their front page for months. The scale is now going the other way and nothing is said. If you want equality in a country, than everyone should be blamed on the same scale. Why excuse Martin for calling Zimmerman a "cracker"? That is the same as Zimmerman calling Martin a n------r! Now you know that Zimmerman would never have gotten away with it so why did Martin get away with it along with his girlfriend???

September 16 2013 at 10:05 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Crystle's comment
gambleemeralddonna

You may not know know this; but Trayvon did not "get away with anything:, HE'S DEAD! Shot by Zimmerman.

September 18 2013 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mlake88

This statement is riddled with so many inaccuracies it isn't even funny. Also, I don't think you understand the origins of the word "cracker". It has nothing to do with the color of a white persons skin. It is a reference to the slave drivers that would "crack" their whips on the slaves back. "******" is a derogatory, defaming phrase used to emotionally and psychologically break down a person of color. your statement is just ignorance at it's best.

October 14 2013 at 11:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Crystle

We had a restaurant that opened in my neighborhood which was food that black people make and eat. EVERYONE in the restaurant was black. I had no problem with that except that the black waitresses had big chips on their shoulders. They were unfriendly from the start. Never smiled or offered us anything to drink. Just gave us the menus and left. We kind of looked at each other but continued to order since the smells were really yummy and we were hungry. We had to flag her down to give her our order. She came over and asked what we wanted. We gave her our orders and asked if we could have something to drink. NOT ONCE did she smile or anything just very robotic and cold. We finally got our food and it was ok. Nothing to write home about but ok. We had to flag her down again for the check. Again she came over and asked what we wanted. I told her can we have the check please. She reached in her pocket, took out our bill, put it on the table and left again. We did give her a tip but would never come back again. Only 9 months later they went out of business. This restaurant was in a good neighborhood with majority of white people. If they treated all whites like they did us, we knew they would not be in business for long. On top of that the food was very bland and ok so you would think they would try harder to be friendly and accommodating. Oh well, I'm sure all the whites were called racist for not going back but the treatment from the waitresses were absolutely awful! They sure did not give us a feeling of warm friendly fuzziness.

September 16 2013 at 9:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Crystle's comment
mlake88

You also didn't scroll "******" on your check. No matter how much the service sucked, that is unnecessary.

October 14 2013 at 11:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
J

The United States is very much in dangerous (via the constant stream of American Media, Advertising, Films, and Blogging). This racism and the startling levels of it has been taught and re-taught into the culture since the birth of Gen Y. WE have got to stop this AGAIN before everyone gets hurt. There is always collateral damage in the face of racist violence, racist forums such as FaceBook and other social mediums. This is being funded by groups who have the means and connections to produce exaggerated and hateful images across the United States. We have to stop using the First Amendment as a free for all and begin to moderate the use of Free Speech (Free Speech is not a right to intimidate, to incite, to contribute racist remarks, accusations, threats, murder (as I have seen too many times to list). This is disgusting how these 20 years olds treated this young woman who is working who is not absconding from anyone's taxes but is PAYING her taxes. She is not a criminal or anyone to be afraid of. This is racist bullying & she is being treated badly w/o reason. Those 20 year old were taught by their communities, the voices of Southern hatred& their politicians. People of Color who lives are being threated through their jobs, families & home do need more protection. At least for those who have lived just as civilly as others. She has the right to work w/o racists violence. They violated her civil rights in that they stated their hatred against her to intimidate her psychology. This is NO exaggeration. If a white person were treated this way, we would hear about is just the same. In fact, when white people feel that they have been treated badly, they are allowed greater pressed& filmed&edited w/ sympathy. Racism does exist and they are now PAYING poor black men to carry out denial racism into the madia and into the social networks. Black men are being used as the voice through white persons in power who have money to fund the wave of racism to destroy and to kill innocent black families as to those who have committed crimes which are white & black * all others. This hatred is going to double back and harm the very people who instigate this hatred. This is a warning to control the education of racism in every way. EVEYRONE will pay, particularly those whose darkness of hate have begun this parade.

September 16 2013 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vanessa Hill

What is wrong with people, we are all born pure and innocent. Unfortunately, people are taught to hate others because of the color of their skin, etc. I am thankful my parents taught us to see people, not color.

September 16 2013 at 5:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.