Jobs Where Most People Hate Their Coworkers

A new report identifies 10 occupations where people can't stand their coworkers.

Some jobs create more enemies than friends.A recently published Payscale report examined jobs where the most people said they would axe their coworkers if they were allowed to change one thing about their work environment.

Based on more than 28,000 responses from Payscale's users, the jobs with the most aggravating coworkers include maintenance workers, food preparers, servers, health-care practitioners, and personal-care workers.

"A lot of these jobs are on the lower end for pay and higher end of stress," Katie Bardaro, lead economist at Payscale, tells Business Insider. "It's easier for workers to get aggravated by coworkers who aren't pulling their weight, since it's more of a group effort."
Below are the top 10 jobs where people can't stand their coworkers, according to Payscale:

1. Maintenance (hate their coworkers 1.48x more than the national average)

2. Food preparation and serving related (1.45x)

3. Production operations (1.42x)

4. Building and grounds cleaning (1.40x) - TIED with #5

5. Health-care practitioners and technical operators (1.40x) -TIED with #4

6. Health-care support occupations (1.29x)

7. Office and administrative support occupations (1.24x)

8. Protective service occupations (1.13x)

9. Life, physical, and social science occupations (1.08x)

10. Personal-care and service occupations (1.05x)

On the other hand, jobs where people are most content with their coworkers tend to be those where employees don't rely too much on one another on a day-to-day basis.

These include jobs such as social services, education, engineering, arts and media, sales, and business.

"In these jobs, your entire work doesn't rest on how [your coworkers] are doing," says Bardaro. "This is especially true in sales where performance falls on your shoulders, and you take the reigns and run with it."

The report also found that Baby Boomers report the highest desire (1.16x) to change their coworkers, whereas Gen Y are the most content (0.91x) with their colleagues.

Other Stories From Business Insider:
Teams More Productive Than Individuals
A
bercrombie & Fitch Worst Controversies
W
almart Workers Suspended Over Break

Jennifer T.

I think it all goes back to the boss and the work culture he/she creates. A bad boss might feel it is in his/her interest to have employees disliking and mistrusting each other and will tolerate things like gossiping and back-stabbing, while a good boss will not tolerate those things. I had a job where one person working there found she could get away with anything. The boss knew what she was doing. I left and I was just the first of many. The boss chose to accuse us of being lazy ingrates instead of dealing with the real source of trouble. Except we all moved on and found better jobs.

August 29 2013 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blackcoffeeparty

trust necessary position

August 25 2013 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blackcoffeeparty

I had two careers one as a stone mason and the other as an industrial security consultant. Was friends with the masons I worked with liked being on the job with them. In the security field, the main company I was employed by had a wonderful ready list of guards that would be prepared to go on assignment in a matter of days from contact to a matter of hours after contact. The honesty in the ranks of the profession was impeccable. But near the end of my tenure as a consultant, the companies started hiring guards that were not of the caliber of the ones I was accustomed to working with.And a sad truth concerning the less professional, less desirable, persons being hired into such a

August 25 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsey

It all depends where you work. I worked in social services and my first office was amazing. I loved my coworkers, loved my boss, I couldn't wait to wake up everyday and go to work. It was stressful, but my coworkers and bosses made it great. When I accepted the same type of position at a different office, it was terrible. WHO you work with makes the difference, not the industry in which you work.

August 24 2013 at 10:38 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Lindsey's comment
Michele

You got that right. The job that I was laid off from recently, was at a doctor's office. Consisted of mainly female co-workers. The males were a few doctors there as well as female doctors. But the majority was female. And not very nice ones, there were a few there that loved to gossip, stab you in the back, lie, you name it, they did it. One in particular. The biggest office gossip, she didn't like anyone but herself, she lied, did sneaky things,etc, the list goes on and the office manager must have loved it because she never did a thing about her. This person caused many to be stressed, dreaded coming to work when she was there, would be so happy, relaxed and relieved when she was NOT there. And she always, always complained and loved talking about herself or her family and never shut the fek up. Never.

Despite still being out of a job, you couldn't pay me to go back there and work with her ever again.

August 29 2013 at 8:41 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lu Ann

You have that correct Lindsey, a bad boss can make your beloved job a not so beloved job in a hurry!

August 29 2013 at 9:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
clw858

They forgot postal workers. Worst co-workers ever.

August 24 2013 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slop9124

About the only way to get along with co-workers is to not have any to start with. Find a job where it's all up to you. I had ajob with 1 to 4 co-workers years ago and after three years I decided I either switched to another position or quit. I choose another job as interstate bus driver where I was almost totally in control of what had to be done. The job had plenty to deal with but at the end of the day I knew the job was done well because I did it and no other person had to help. I have three adult sons and they all tell me the same thing, the people they have to work with don't pull their weight and they wind up doing much more than they should have to. Slackers is the word I use to identify them and today there is no easy way to get rid of them. I brought my sons up to always do a good job and do your best to cope with the slackers. The work ethic of too many people today is pitifull.

August 24 2013 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvie

There are a lot of hateful people around these days.

August 24 2013 at 6:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Hello Beautiful

I love my college-health education job in EMS and all of my co-workers, but can't stand the "Helicopter mommies and daddies" that put their sons in our EMS classes. Every single time a mom or dad does not have their ADULT children sign up themselves, it ends up in failure, and the parents don't know until way past midterm. Then mommy and daddy want a refund, because the college didn't "do our jobs". Well, you are not getting it, and your kid stopped showing up for class, let alone didn't study. FERPA: can't talk to the parents about it anyway.

August 24 2013 at 10:34 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply