10 Walmart Protesters Arrested In Washington, D.C.

Union organizers up the ante and issue an ultimatum to Walmart.

Ten protesters are arrested outside Walmart in Washington D.C.Nine fired Walmart workers and a current employee were arrested Thursday afternoon while rallying outside the company's offices in Washington D.C., according to the rally's organizers, the non-union group, OUR Walmart. The workers -- seen right -- were arrested on a misdemeanor charge of blocking passage after they blocked the entrance to Walmart's office, organizers confirmed to AOL Jobs. OUR Walmart has announced a Labor Day deadline for the country's largest private employer to increase salaries to a minimum of $25,000 a year and reinstate workers whom, OUR Walmart claims, have been fired in retaliation for their activism. Protest organizers told The Nation that "hundreds" participated in the afternoon rally.

"Enough is enough. We cannot wait any longer for Walmart to do what's right for its workers and our families and all of our communities," recently fired Walmart worker Barbara Collins said in an OUR Walmart press release. According to salary information website Glassdoor, the average hourly wage for a Walmart sales associate is $8.86 an hour. Walmart has a total of 2.2 million workers.

The Nation, quoting union organizers, said that some 50 workers have been fired or disciplined by Walmart for their activism. But in an emailed statement, Walmart spokesman Kory Lundberg said, "no associates were disciplined for participating in any specific protests."

Formed two years ago, OUR Walmart garnered its most headlines for the protests it organized on the retail industry's so-called Black Friday 2012, when 30,000 people protested outside Walmart stores throughout the country, according to the group. And as AOL Jobs has reported, protesters have begun to adopt an array of creative tactics to try and demand an improvement in conditions. In June, activists crashed Yahoo's shareholders' meeting to ask company CEO and Walmart board member Marissa Mayer to advocate for Walmart workers. (She deflected the request from fired Walmart worker Vanessa Ferreira, and instead gave her the business card of an assistant to help her set up a meeting.)

And just this week, a group of activists flocked to a racetrack Laguna Seca, Calif. to organize a protest. What brought them there? Company chairman Robert S. Walton was spending the day racing his Maserati, Ferrari and two other cars. In total, the cars are valued at $16 million.

(h/t The Nation)

anpat

what do you people want...I can't give anymore I skip breaks, I fake breaks, I sweat, I run my ass off, I cry, I wish to die...I look for work, I apply don't know what to do...told I'm **** and can't do nothing right at work, told I'm lazy ugly stupid by the public...just bring me a gun can't take it anymore won't matter to you ******* bastards anyway I'm a worthless walmart slave anyway right stupid and ugly...lazy give me a ******* gun i'm done won't hurt anyone but myself you can still shop at your sweat shop it's just a lazy ugly worthless piece of **** anyway!

September 17 2013 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sammy

Why should they get paid more to perform an unskilled job that anyone can be trained to do in a day? Can't earn a living on what they're making? Work hard, learn the job and the store well, make friends with the team, and move up to a management position. I don't understand why people feel they're entitled to a specific amount of money.

August 25 2013 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sammy's comment
setanta54s_back

starts from nursery sKOol and CONTINUES NONSTOP their ENTITLEMENT training and getting rewards for nothing.
work ? work hard ? and the SAME BUNCH screams about the asians etc getting AHEAD of THEM

August 25 2013 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
americanmade88

I don't kill myself for any company unless they are willing to pay the big bucks period ! My hope is everyone else feels the same !

August 25 2013 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
americanmade88

I use to work at Wal-Mart and yes I did graduate high school and yes I did a good job and no Wal-Mart didn't recognize that so I quit ...Wal-Mart is basically a sweat shop and every night they would bring 30 or more of freight on the floor in y department and expect 2 people to do it all ......Well I hate it for all the people on here who claim that everyone who works at Wal-Mart is lazy and uneducated because , that is not true by a long shot ....Wal-Mart just ants you to work your arse off and not pay for it ! It sucks for them that they will have to in the long run .

August 25 2013 at 1:25 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to americanmade88's comment
Thelma Mayflower

They should have invested in the "people of walmart" site!

August 25 2013 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Oh boo hoo, I'm a dumb asp that screwed around in school, dropped out in the 11th grade. Now I demand someone to pay me more than I'm worth so I can buy that big screen TV I have a right to own.

August 24 2013 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Thelma Mayflower

Don't they have "layaway" service.? ; )

August 25 2013 at 12:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
paddleman1928

the workers should start their own business and compete with wal-mart

August 24 2013 at 10:12 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
BRYANT

If the wage was upped to $25 an hour every pensioner in the country would soon be eating dog food and your diapers would cost $10 each. We would have an inflation like the one that brought Hitler to power - when a postage stamp cost the equivalent of $100 or so. After a couple of years that $25 would not buy a loaf of bread.

Why don't these people get a clue about how economics actually works?

August 24 2013 at 10:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to BRYANT's comment
ronstriathlon

Walmart heirs own the largest share of our nations wealth while paying their employees so little that the rest of us have to support them with food stamps and other assistance. Chinamart is the among the most disgusting unAmerican sleazy companies in the USA. Billionaire welfare queens.

August 24 2013 at 9:24 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ronstriathlon's comment
Joebudgie

In case you haven't noticed Wal-Mart isn't the only company that starts new employees at U.S. Minimum Wage. Perhaps the people who apply for a job would rather stay unemployed? If you started a fantastically successful and profitable business would you feel obligated to keep a bare minimum of the profit for yourself and give the rest to your employees? What does the phrase "Billionaire welfare queens." mean? And my last question. Are you one of the disgruntled former employees? If so, who forced you to go to work for them in the first place and what was the real reason you quit?

August 24 2013 at 9:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
slowhanddean

Simple solution, don't work there.

August 24 2013 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to slowhanddean's comment
Lahela

Hah! Think you can escape the Walmart web that easily!? You better check out the report from CNBC that explains how Walmart is effecting how damn near every manufacturer in America runs. From battery makers, food growers and clothing manufactures Walmart is making it necessary for products to be made for less. Slow Hand that means that even if you're working for Del Monte vegetables as an exec, demand for them to provide a can of green beans for a low low Walmart price may cost you your job or at least some of your pay.

August 24 2013 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply