'Lollipop Man' Finds Long Lost Birth Father Applying For Same Job

Father and son reunitedThere are many stunning coincidences in the tales of biological family members reunited. Like the two sisters, raised by separate families, who'd both named their daughters Jennifer. Or the father who was reunited with his daughter, only to discover that they'd been volunteering together at the same place for months.

Darren Wardle, 47, from Staffordshire, U.K., had a similar shock when he located his own birth father. Turns out, they were both as school crossing guards, or as they call them in the U.K., lollipop men, for the same county council. They lived just 15 miles apart, and according to the Daily Mail, were applying for the same job.

Ferris had Wardle when he was just 15-years-old, reports the Daily Mail, and put him up for adoption as a newborn. Twenty-five years ago, Wardle, who is now a grandfather himself, tracked down his birth mother. But it was only in 2010, four years after his adopted father died of cancer, that Wardle began looking for his birth father.

More: 7 Infamous Sibling Rivalries At Work

"I had many a long chat with my dad when we first met and the fact that we were both lollipop men made us laugh," Wardle told the Tamworth Herald. "I couldn't believe this when he told me and at first I thought he must be joking. Of all the different jobs and careers we could have chosen, we ended up doing the same role at Staffordshire County Council."

Wardle had been working as a lollipop man for three years, his father, a retired engineer, for two.

But there's an inordinate amount of lollipopping in Wardle's family. His wife is a lollipop lady, as is his mother-in-law, and was his adopted mother for years. "It makes you wonder whether being a lollipop man might be in the blood," says Simon Tagg, who oversees the county's 323 school crossing guards.

As uncanny as the story is, it doesn't quite beat the ultimate reunion story of identical twin brothers Jim Lewis and Jim Springer, who were separated at birth. When they were reunited 39 years later, they discovered that they'd both pursued occupations in law enforcement, one as a security guard, and one as a deputy sheriff. They'd also been given the same names by their adopted parents, drove the same model blue Chevrolet, chain-smoked the same cigarette brand, owned dogs named Toy, married women named Linda, and then divorced and re-married women named Betty.

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

arenadood

It is nice to see some cool stories once in a while. Keep them coming.

July 23 2013 at 10:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
phpoling

Great story! Keep those great stories coming!

July 22 2013 at 11:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Peggy

As a birth mother it's nice to hear of a good reunions like this one

July 22 2013 at 10:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
MICHELE MY BELLE

I just love these stories.

July 22 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mcgill2724

lol...so now he knows where he got his sign holding skills...

July 22 2013 at 9:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Diane Sagan

ok.. how can a human being be a grandparent at 25?
are the starting to breed at 10 yrs old?

July 22 2013 at 8:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Diane Sagan's comment
heather

He's forty seven, he found his birth mother 25 years ago, but is a grandfather now. You missed the last part of the sentence...after the comma.

July 22 2013 at 9:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
swthrt7792

Thank the Lord they found each other! Now their minds can be put to rest. Why can't people be happy for a gift from GOD!!!

July 22 2013 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to swthrt7792's comment
mylogylo

What is this god you yell about? Is it made of spaghetti and gummy worms? I thought only toddlers believed in imaginary friends. What is this gift you mention?

July 22 2013 at 7:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mylogylo's comment
sjk09s

Why do you care? Let her believe what she believes. Atheists always feel the need to comment everytime someone mentions God.

July 22 2013 at 7:58 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down
donhantiques

I thought you bleeding heart liberals were so compassionate and all inclusive. I guess that only counts when someone agrees with you. Why do you feel the need to belittle someone who believes in God. That is their choice and as we all know "Choice" is the mantra of you liberals.

July 22 2013 at 8:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down
heather

He was 15, probably not prepared to raise a child. I don't believe in god, but if you want to put your faith in the child being a gift, you could consider that he was one to the adoptive parents.

July 22 2013 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikedollfus

The story about the twins is mind boggling. Amazing

July 22 2013 at 3:11 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mikedollfus's comment
Hello Sarah

No it's not., I’m not a twin, but my mother due to mental problems at the time had to put my middle sister up for adoption. I was named Sarah, and my mother was named Elisabeth. The family that adopted my sister, WAS going to name her Elisabeth but decided to name her Sarah. Not only that they gave her the middle name Amber, which was a name my mother had picked IF she had decided to keep her. So…not freaky at all.

July 23 2013 at 1:14 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Don

25 years ago? How old was he when he put him up for adoption?

July 22 2013 at 2:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Don's comment
jojowhite320

Must be from God, the miracle working God, His wonders to perform. And yes I love these kind of stories too.

July 22 2013 at 1:54 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jojowhite320's comment
chili

its sad that people blame all bad media on people, and the 1 good story people give the credit to God.

thats kind of sad to think nobody thinks that humans are able to do good things on their own and have good things happen to them.

: (

July 22 2013 at 2:11 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chili's comment
kneadmuscles53

Actually, God gives us the ability and free will to do good and blesses us with the good things that happen to us.

July 22 2013 at 3:22 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down
mylogylo

god? I'm not sure what you're referring to. Please elaborate. What is this thing you call god? Got proof?

July 22 2013 at 7:39 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mylogylo's comment
sutt202

yes I do. I'm god. But in my religion I'm called Bob. All hale Bob.

July 23 2013 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down