Target Accused Of Discrimination Over Awful 'Multi-Cultural Tips' Memo

By Ashley Lutz

Former employees of Target are suing for discrimination after the retailer allegedly distributed a racist memo to managers. In the lawsuit, the ex-employees say the retailer provided California distribution warehouse managers with a memo called "Organization Effectiveness, Employee and Labor Relations Multi-Cultural Tips," Courthouse News Service reported.

The lawsuit claims the memo instructed managers to "note differences among Hispanic employees," according to CNS:

More: Dunkin' Donuts Customer Records Her Racist Rant

a. Food: not everyone eats tacos and burritos;

b. Music: not everyone dances to salsa;

c. Dress: not everyone wears a sombrero;

d. Mexicans (lower education level, some may be undocumented);

e. Cubans (Political refugees, legal status, higher education level); and

f. They may say 'OK, OK' and pretend to understand, when they do not, just to save face.

The employees also complained that managers made racist comments in front of employees, CNS reports.

Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder told The Huffington Post that the retailer is "'firmly committed' to diversity in the workplace."

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Business Insider

Editor

Business Insider is a fast-growing business site with deep financial, media, tech, and other industry verticals. Business Insider is dedicated to aggregating, reporting, and analyzing the top news stories across the web and delivering them to you at rapid-fire pace.

Toni B

That happened to me yesterday morning just being a customer. I went to a Target here in Buffalo NY and the first thing a employee asked was...Are you liiking for the new Jay-Z cd? I replied No I know where the Hip Hop and Rap section is! If I wanted That Cd I would've asked you for it! besides ALL BLACK PEOPLE DONT LISTEN TO JAY-Z AND I HAPPEN TO BE ONE OF THEM!!!! and just to throw her off....I asked where the Taylor Swift cd was located at because thats what I was looking for. she just gasp and showed me where it was at and walked away quickly with her nose turned up. At that point my Mom was on the other end going off and telling me to find the Supervisor to report her. I told my Mom that there was no need to envolve others,because I just got my point across to her on my own!

July 11 2013 at 9:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Toni B's comment
Toni B

looking is what I was spelling not liiking! :)

July 11 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmericanFellow

hispanics are the new blacks, irish, orientals of today. the white establishment always dumps their hate on hispanics. i should know as i'm a senior mexican gay guy discriminated about like a red haired step child. don't pretend you don't hate as it's smug self-righteousness. be honest and admit you're a bigot. we minorities can deal w/your honesty as opposed to dealing with your lies

July 11 2013 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
auntiem30sure

How about everyone treat everyone, like a human being...

July 11 2013 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
liondog96

Why don't they discriminate about who they hire then?

July 11 2013 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

i work for target and im white, they treat all low level employees like ****

July 11 2013 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alagk

This might be more of a non-story if not for Target's Hypocrisy. This is the same company that pulled Paula Dean for something that happened 30 years ago that she was over apologetic for and yet this happened at Target now. Target also maintains a very large inventory of Rappers who use the n-word with no apologies and demean white people yet Target cancels Paula Dean ... Go figure and think twice about Amazon.com.

July 10 2013 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to alagk's comment
wk2hrd

Right on, they are so high and mighty about something that was said 30 years ago yet they put out this kind of memo and it is ok. I cut up my card. Won't be buying from Target. Hyporisy in the full sense of the word.

July 11 2013 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jawmore

Winers , winers complainers, thats all I hear from lefty dems.

July 10 2013 at 11:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
defensearms

And what is not true on those tips?.....minority like to be a minority so they can sue for money, what is new?

July 10 2013 at 10:35 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Chandra

I think it's awful that someone would send out memo for anyone like that. It's about respecting those who work for you. People that work at those type of places are legal and have to be, they get background checks. I'm not advocating illegal immigration at all because I think that's wrong.

July 10 2013 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

Good God when does this crap end. It seems that all blacks and hispanics do well is complain. Next thing you will hear is that their dope is costing them to much.

July 10 2013 at 8:21 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.