New Fashion Mistakes In The Office

You want to show off your summer finery for your colleagues, but can't shake the thought: Even in our new age of casual work dress, does this semi-translucent blouse/5-inch platform-wedge sandal cross the line?

In many industries, there are no clear dress codes anymore. Popping colors, statement dresses, and logo tees have infiltrated offices, just like "wellness" seminars and workers "on contract." But are there still any hard-and-fast rules to help the workers of 2013 minimize morning sartorial angst? What are the new trends raising eyebrows? Should workers try to conform or express their truth? And how should you handle a co-worker or employee whose "Female Body Inspector" tee or pleather mini makes you feel weird inside?

We tackled these questions in Friday's "Lunchtime Live," AOL Jobs' weekly video series, with the help of two experts: Cristina Desposito, the fashion editor at Redbook magazine and Gina Martini, from the team at the fashion and beauty blog Stylelist.

We discuss everything from the rules on heels, shorts, and visible bra straps to how often you can repeat an outfit at work per month. On flip-flops, Desposito says: "I think in general, as a rule of thumb, if you would ever even consider wearing them to the pool, they're probably not right for the office."

For more tips, watch the highlights reel above, or view the full half-hour segment.

What should you NOT wear to the office this summer? View this slideshow.

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

MarionLima19

I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h - $80h...how? I'm working online! My work didn't exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do, goo.gl/oR8j0

July 08 2013 at 5:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
selfenchanted

Crocs - don't forget those are the most inappropriate.

July 02 2013 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al Pambuena

I just hated some women trying to stuff a large butt into an outfit that was 2 sizes too small, especially jeans. I like women dressed in simple things that don\'t show a lot.

July 02 2013 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bikerat57

The white collar office environment demographics may be changing toward being freer and more progressive in thought regarding proper dress, but it is still pretty much the same as when I was working before my retirement. Conservative thought still dominates most businesses and that includes how employees dress, and their timeleness to and from work. Bosses of my generation (translate-older men) dominate the "boss" position and have a say in "hiring and firing" whether you like this, agree with this, or not! Those who "play the game" best are those who get promoted.

July 01 2013 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

I'm so glad I don't work in an office. Who gives a **** about what to wear and not to wear to work?

July 01 2013 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gary's comment
tony

Work, and office are conflict in terms.

July 01 2013 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

I don't understand the problem - I've been under the impression that the current business dress code is ' Free to be Me' style. The purpose being to go to work dressed in a style which allows the person to join the nearest Happy Hour after work and then continue on to Dinner and Overnight if chosen.

July 01 2013 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susie

like any of these were new items. Last time I checked these were the same things from 2 years ago....geeez, AOL, give us something new...

June 30 2013 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Equay_30

My coworker has hideous man feet (she's a woman) and she insists on wearing flip flops to the office and shoes that show them off at every turn. She puts polish on but they look so much like some men's feet whom I know it's disturbing. Then she insists on wearing tank tops so her bra straps are constantly showing. Nothing like dingy white bra straps to show everyone how sexy you are....ugh.

June 30 2013 at 8:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Equay_30's comment
Ed.

Does it cure youjr hemmroids?

June 30 2013 at 6:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
blackcoffeeparty

If a bra strap showing is too sexual for you maybe you should move to a country where women wear things that make them look like a walking tent

June 30 2013 at 5:27 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply