I hope these women are the black women who did not have a 300 year head start. Too many complaints. Unless you are disabled there are really no other excuses. It's a woman's job to cook, clean and take care of the kids while the husband brings home the money. If you are single women then I suggest not to have kids.

June 19 2013 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It does if you are Kris Jener! or a Kardasian

June 18 2013 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It is interesting how we evolved from work being something you did to take care of your family . . . to sacrifice your time with them for the better good. Today people have careers which are "me" oriented. People are chasing titles for feelings of self-importance rather than a means to provide for a family or even just oneself.

There will be arguments that I am wrong, but if you peel back the onion, you'll find that what drives people with careers is not about providing essentials, but actually is more about self-esteem.

I do not live in the 60s. I have two grown daughters with grandchildren. And I want my daughters to be all they can be. So my following statement is delivered with best intentions. Someone in the family, whether the husband, wife, or partner has to be the nurturer for the children. Without that, the children receive their guidance from others and there becomes a lack of foundation. Whatever you do, do not lose site of humanity.

June 18 2013 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicky Newham

I run a successful business and a happy family! I have the perfect balance. I set up my business as a single mother, and I don;'t believe my daughter has been impacted on negatively. I see mums who don't work or who work part time and can't be bothered to do anything with their kids. My time is always quality one on one time. I believe there are fewer women in leadership positions because they don't want these roles, and that is fine,l everyone has the right to make their own choices.

June 18 2013 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c laird478

Even feminism hasn't been able to increase the length of a day or a week. There are only so many hours, and time spent at the office is time that is unavailable to spend with your children. That's just a simple fact of reality, and no amount of blaming men will change it. But I'm sure that feminists will never give up trying to blame men anyway. LOL.

June 18 2013 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The problem is, most moms have 2 jobs: the one she gets paid for and the 24/7 job of taking care of the kids and household she does not get paid for... When everyone gathers at the end of the day, all eyes turn to (surprise) the mom for the answer of what is for dinner. It's mom who arranges/juggles the taxi service for the kids' various appointments and activities, mom who does the lions share of the cleaning, etc., etc. Sure, guys can step up and do more.... But make no mistake, it's mom who is ultimately responsible for everything to get done most of the time. So, sure, the big promotion with the higher check is great, but companies are not interested in candidates who can not work late/on weekends, relocate, and so on at a moment's notice. Most moms just don't have the flexibility to do it all. The big raise, essentially, would go to hiring someone else to raise your kids for you. Life is short and no money can buy back the time you could have had with your kids that you chose to sell to your company instead.

June 18 2013 at 12:42 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to silverfawn's comment

Thank you for pointing out that the "extra money" would only be used to obtain hired help, because that is exactly what I was thinking while reading this article. For a woman to be in such a position in the workplace, she would have to hire a maid, nanny, etc., to do the thing she would no longer be able to keep up with. Someone has to clean the house, do the laundry, cook dinner (at a reasonable time), help with homework, etc., etc!!! Those chores do not get done all by themselves nor do they get done by the business woman who has to be in an office 12+ hours a day. It just isn't feasible and I find this article very appalling at the thought that it is okay to just do what you want without pointing out the trade-off's that will most likely come from taking that big promotion!

June 18 2013 at 10:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

See this:
"'s interesting to see the proportion of women who think their primary contribution to their children should be time, not money. Many promotions come with reasonable raises, which would also, presumably, benefit the children" - what person of a sound mind can believe that money can replace mother's quality time with children? Most probably such type of thinking is behind today's young generation attitude - greed, entitlement, violence and more.
This sounds really creepy...

June 17 2013 at 4:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

4 in 10 may be breadwinners, but 2.5 in 10 are single mothers. Also, you would be surprised to see how many people (men and women) who are comfortable in their current position and not willing to make the sacrifice sometimes required for career advancement.

June 17 2013 at 11:18 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply