SOME people are so poor that the only thing they have is money.

February 27 2014 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

And anything that can be done remotely. If you get to modem in 3 or 4 days a week--better think of something else to do, because they're plotting to outsource it to someone in Timbuktu who will do the job "good enough" for 1/20th what you do.

I was replaced by a cadre of geeks in Bangalore who make less than I could make at Starbux.

June 05 2013 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Since when is the "starting salary" for theatre majors, aptly listed as the worst paying major out there, that high?? My first year out of school was about 20% of that. Six years out and steadily working as an actor (I have had only acting jobs as my source of income for well over a year, and gigs combined with "survival jobs" before that), I'd still like to hit that "starting salary"! Maybe the techies and the arts administrators skew the actors higher?

June 03 2013 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'm sorry but I am a theatre major and I have theatre friends who are making $78,000 working freelance in the're data is not correct.

May 31 2013 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'd like to know where they got these figures. I know people with most of these degrees and they don't make that kind of money. I once loved a job. But when i couldn't afford to move out of my mothers home and own a car at the same time it was time for me to rethink my career choice. 23k in debt only got me to the point of realizing I needed to go get a degree that would allow me to pay my bills. Doing what you love doesn't really help when you are living a horrible existence due to lack of $.
I now make a decent living and can do what I love in my free time because I can afford to have free time.

May 31 2013 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

How about getting an education that will provide the necessary money to actually follow youyr passion? Just a thought.

May 31 2013 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lilie Siplin

Seems to me that having any original college degree is a SUPPOSED THREAT.

May 31 2013 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I find articles like this upsetting. Young people just starting out: follow your passions. Happiness is more important than money, and if you decide you are motivated by money, you can find a way to make it by doing what you love. I was an English major ,and I wouldn't go back and make a different decision. The decision that I would change was the one to go to grad school to become a teacher-I listened to people who had never taught before tell me it would be a great job for me. I didn't like teaching and am still paying for the degree 12 years later. Study what you love. Many employers value the skills of a liberal arts major because they know they are inquisitive people who like to solve problems.

May 31 2013 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bethiep226's comment

Your comment is disheartening, you are just misleading the kids to follow there heart.. They will have to go hungry or even worse homeless if they always follow there dreams.... This is the Hard truth... I am not sure how old you are.. but being a guy in the 25's I know how it is..... branches like engineering are tough.. but hey .. I know for sure that I can feed my family and clear my loans within an year....

May 31 2013 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

These appear to be mostly liberal elite types of majors. I guess you can always get federal funding, not only for your worthless degree, but for grant money to help you start your worthless career.

May 31 2013 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pearl Nestor

I found a job in the market place just after high school because I already had two years of Graphic Arts, majoring in Press Operations. So I started off being a Printer. I knew I had to have some marketable skills apart from my interests. I am an Artist and a Painter, didn't think would become famous right off, also knew how to write, didn't think I would be a best seller with my first book. When I hear of people going off to get these degrees I wonder how many Philosopher's are needed in the world or if there is a factory nearby that has need of them. It's always practical to educate yourself to the realities of life. When I hear of these majors that people go for, I just assume they are going for tenure in another college because that's the only venue that would be asking for those skills, and that's good too. It just seems so limiting.

May 31 2013 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply