This is a ridiculous article. There is nothing to be proud of by working 80 hours a week your entire life. (Although you quite obviously get some sort of twisted self-worth by trying to prove just how much of a 'contributor' you are by doing those things). I trust that you 1) never had children/personal relationships of any value 2) didn't take care of yourself physically and/or 3) had a spouse/life partner that was extremely accommodating to your 'commitment' to work.

You mention atypical jobs like Mother Teresa's and doctors that work the overnight as proof that one's life should be dedicated to work and not 'non-work'. Clearly those are not the cubicle-based jobs that most people refer to when they talk about 'work-life' balance.

Also, writing 7 self help book where you sell your own silly beliefs to the masses can hardly be considered real 'work'. Your article is so narcissistic and self-involved it's almost difficult to read: "lowly payroll clerk" the yoga "fad", and "diverted their time to recreation"...unreal.

August 16 2013 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I think the author has missed the point of the word 'balance'. If nobody worked it would be a problem, if nobody had sex it would be a large problem.

May 28 2013 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

If you think Eric`s story is exceptional,, last week my cousinns step-daad basically also actually earnt $5496 putting in a eighteen hour week an their house and they're neighbor's mother-in-law`s neighbour was doing this for 6 months and recieved a check for over $5496 part-time on their mac. apply the information on this page,

May 27 2013 at 2:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

The author is basing his theory off the false assumptions that people are productive at work and unproductive outside of work. This may or may not be true. Many people are very productive outside of work.

He quotes Issac Asimov at the end of his article. Asimov wrote his first pieces while he was a full time student. Under the premise of this article, he should have been more focused on school and going into a career and less focused on wasting time writing novels.

May 27 2013 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

If you are lucky enough to work in a field that you are passionate about (as my husband and I are), those 60 or 80 hours fly by. If you are a "working stiff," 40 hours a week seem like torture. If at all possible, find your passion and work in that field or in a supporting role.

May 24 2013 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Great article!

May 24 2013 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Raise your hand if you love working 60 hours a week!

May 23 2013 at 11:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

Hard work is great and admirable, but there is no recorded instance of anyone on their death bed saying, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time at work."

May 23 2013 at 9:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

While I have a job that I absolutely love doing, there is still a very busy life outside of work. When I worked too much in the past and let the stress get to me I ended up in the hospital. Never again will I let my job guide me.

May 23 2013 at 7:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Citrowkse

i would have to agree when i am home i feel like i need to be doing something. I might not work more then 40 hours a week at work but i probably put another 40+ at home on my own projects.

May 23 2013 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply