The Worst Year To Graduate From College

worst year to graduateCongratulations Class of 2013! And condolences. You are joining the elite brigade of recession-era graduates, with wages that researchers say will be depressed for years to come!

For this luckless group, AOL Jobs thought it would offer a silver lining. At least you maybe weren't the worst of the worst. Check out the chart to see how each class since 2007 has fared, and browse below to see how miserable the real world was that greeted the last six years of shiny diplomas. Schadenfreude may not pay the rent, but it can give you the boost of energy you need to send off that 200th job application.

Then click on the slideshow below to revel in who had it worse than you.

Nickk Mindcrew

The annual graduation ceremony at most universities is a day devoted to celebrating an important point in students' lives. And want to share Gift with your friends, family or dearest. Share with us

September 14 2013 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scottt456

How can this be the worse year to graduate when the economy is clearly back on track? And the evidence is in the unemployment rate which keeps dropping every month. Barack Hussein Obama is clearly the savior who delivered us from the hands of an uncaring George Bush, right? Isn't it time that our college grads are made aware of how great the leadership is in Washington, D.C.?

May 16 2013 at 12:01 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to scottt456's comment
Hi Sandra

I realize you are being contemptable, but I agree it is time we show President Obama how great of a leader he truly is! Thanks for pointing this out.

May 16 2013 at 4:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tony Pow

We have about 3 million jobs unfilled. We need to match the job skills with your majors in college.

May 16 2013 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Pow

From my ebook A Nation of No Losers (from amazon):

As of 2012, many of you do not have a job for over three years. Your generation of some EU countries has 50% or so unemployment. Do not be frustrated and we should see the light from the tunnel hopefully soon.

I had a similar experience. After graduation I had no job. It was only for one month; I was very lucky when compared to today's graduates. It seemed to be now more than a year of desperation. The worst is that I ran out of money and my student visa had expired. I was so jealous of my roommates going to work, and they may be jealous of me for sleeping all day long. Some harsh words hurt a lot. I pretended to be sleeping and cried inside. I was ashamed of not sharing my part of the rent.

It turns out to be a good experience. For example, I have not wasted a dollar since then. At that time, with that whole dollar I can kill three hours by watching double features. I treat work seriously. Too much free time drove me crazy. Do you feel the same?

It is a similar lesson I learned from my older co-worker who lived through the depression. He finished his plate completely without leaving a speck of food.

If you like to protest for income disparity, bankers not going to jail for their crimes, plutocracy, etc. by occupying your local city hall, it is fine to let some steam out, but you need to obey the law. Life is full of injustices. The best to resolve them is preparing yourself now so you will be in a position to make a difference.

You should also know that most rich folks obtain their wealth by working hard and taking chances. Many started out with nothing. My account was negative but fortunately the bottom never came again, at least for now – thanks God. Gates and Buffett even give back all their wealth to charities. Do not be biased against them unless you have a good reason to.

The economic problem gives us a temporary setback. Hopefully, we will look back and treat them as good lessons that we cannot learn from schools except by experiencing it. It is life's ups and downs. Without the downs, life would be of no meaning and we do not appreciate and treasure the ups.

We should not let our destiny control our life, and the strong ones (I am not among them) can change their destinies. Bad experiences in life always make us a stronger man / woman.

May 16 2013 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

A diploma isn't a guarantee way to find a job. While you're in school, you need to send companies your resume, meet with management, and do internships. In your area alone, there may be 400 graduates applying for the same job. Make yourself noticed before you graduate.

May 15 2013 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
home

College isn't for everyone. It's not even needed in a lot of careers. As a service technician my last year of working was in the 6 figure range. I worked hard, and long hours, but anyone can do it if they are determined. So many young people today want it ALL now! Don't work, don't invest, and don't even think of starting on the bottom! As a tech, I applied to several places. Each and EVERYONE of them, I asked for MINIMUM wage, and to be treated fairly. I was hired a the lowest man on the totem pole, asked questions about the trade EVERY day, and then as I learned, I went to school for it. I got out of the Navy in July of 1974, and had my own business by December of 1978. One more thing,,, I dropped out of school AFTER the 7th grade. Got a state license in 78, and retired with 16 employees. I worked hard, invested most of my income in the early years, and paid my employees MORE then myself!

May 15 2013 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to home's comment
ga7smi

really?

May 16 2013 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grsafe

Thats because all the jobs have been sent overseas thanks to the wonderful Bush administration. Graduated in 1984. I had plenty of interviews and job offers to teach especially for special education at that time. Bring the jobs BACK to the U.S. Our government needs to support the families who pay taxes to live here by giving big tax breaks to those companies hiring U.S. college grads and giving heavy tax increases to those companies who don't. They also need to tax those who do not provide pensions for their employees.You know the ones who generate the revenue . My son is graduating this year and has plenty of interviews. Maybe the average salaries would increase if the administration of these corporate giants didn't have to have 6 houses and corporate jets The U.S. has no problem penalizing unions lets start penalizing the corporates for their greed . Instead of layoffs demand administrative cutbacks first.

May 15 2013 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to grsafe's comment
miller980

You libs are so laughable...and so moronic. It was you buddy Billy "I Love To Boink Everyone But My Wife" Clinton who signed NAFTA into law. Spin away little libby, spin away.

May 15 2013 at 8:07 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
home

Stop crying ! ! !

May 15 2013 at 9:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
S321Saint

The problem with the country has been this rather stupid insistence that EVERYONE go to college. Sorry to burst your bubble folks. Sorry mom and dad...your little boy or girl may NOT be college material. And that has never meant that you go right to welfare. But unfortunately the last 30 years a large percentage of the kids going to school have been told that they are so very special that if ONLY they go to college..then they are on easy street. Employers will break down your doors to hire you. And hire you at big wages too...no minimum wages for the college graduate right? People whine and complain because taxi drivers, plumbers, roofers, construction workers are mostly foreigners. And that is true. American kids have been basically told that those jobs are BENEATH them. Even on a part time basis during the summer.

May 15 2013 at 7:22 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to S321Saint's comment
miller980

There will be so many people with college degrees and no jobs in the next generation, that McDonald's will require a degree to apply for a job. Those without college degrees will be screwed.

May 15 2013 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dknowles60

well put

May 16 2013 at 7:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kimbrellrg

I graduated in \'75. In \'71 we were told \"in 4 years you\'ll have ten offers to choose from\". Instead couldn\'t get FIVE interviews!

May 15 2013 at 5:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kimbrellrg's comment
deetec

Did you just have a stroke or something? Can you reach a phone?

May 16 2013 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ga7smi

I garduated in 1970 - went back to school and the passed CPA exam - jobs requiring degrees were short supply my entire working life

May 16 2013 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Priness

I went to school during the Carter administration. These graduates now couldn't possible have it any worse than we did. (though they might think they do) We made it and they will too, as long as they realize the following things: It's probably going to get worse before it gets better, so get used to it. Don't wait until you can afford it to have children. If you do that, you will probably end up childless. You will work harder than you ever thought possible for less money than you thought possible and it will suck WAY more than you ever thought possible. Stop whining about things beyond your control. Control what you can, change what you can and don't stress about the rest, it doesn't do any good. Learn to do without. We all had to learn it, you can too. Re-new, re-use, re-cycle, or do without. You do not need a new car every other year and go on vacation every year. You just don't. We made it, you will too. : )

May 15 2013 at 4:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply