National Guardsman Store Clerk Scares Off Burglars With Assault Weapon

Shawn SchankWhile the news is filled with reports of disgruntled workers who showed up at their offices with guns, it's far more common for robbers to be the cause of workplace violence. In fact, cashiers frequently show up on the list of the most dangerous professions for that reason.

But on Sunday in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, two masked men who appeared in Shawn Schank's convenience store in Shingleton, Mich., reportedly got quite a surprise. Schank, a National Guardsman who spent a year in Afghanistan, emerged from a back room of the store carrying a loaded AR-15 assault weapon and pointed it directly at the would-be robbers, causing them to flee, according to local TV station WLUC.

More: Guns and Ammo Spark Jobs Boom

Schank told the Marquette, Mich., station that he wasn't afraid, just "irritated and ticked off" that the men would try to steal from the cash register. The men, seeing the gun, tried to hide behind the counter, Schank said, but he kicked them and pointed the rifle at them. He said that one of the men then pulled off his mask and pleaded, "Don't shoot," then they fled. Schank called 911.

On Tuesday, the suspects, Ruben Sifuentes, 18, and a 17-year-old male were charged with breaking and entering. And Schank told WLUC that he was confident that he'd handled the situation well. "I don't care if people try to rob. I will respond the same way," he said.

Related Stories

Filed under: Employment News

AOL Jobs Staff

Staff Compilations

Barbara

Aubrey. I can see what your saying... Herbert`s blog is terrific, last tuesday I got a great Alfa Romeo after I been earnin $4634 thiss month and would you believe, 10/k last munth. it's definitly the nicest work I've ever done. I actually started three months/ago and pretty much immediately began to earn at least $73, per-hour. I use this great link, All29.com

May 09 2013 at 2:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jaguar6cy

Liberals and "progressives" will point out that someone could have gotten seriously hurt here. It should also be pointed out that liberals and "progressives" place more value on criminals than on law abiding citizens.

May 07 2013 at 4:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jaguar6cy's comment
vandation

Aren't the D - Baggers the ones that are for killing innocent babies with abortion ... including late term abortions ? Hmmmmm ...............

May 07 2013 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
magarch1

This story sounds planted and doesn't add up. How did they get away if he was "pointing a gun at them while calling 911?" Why did he happen to be walking out of his office carrying his AR-15. If true, have absolutely nothing against what he did, but this story smells a little fishy......

May 04 2013 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to magarch1's comment
Bill

Because if he had shot them in the back as they were running away or if he had shot them and they were unarmed, he would have been charged with murder.

May 07 2013 at 7:06 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
vtmilitia

Because you posses a firearm doesn't mean you must pull the trigger to remove the threat, liberals seem to miss this point.

May 07 2013 at 3:46 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Loony1

Great Story, Just imagine the Drop in Violent Crimes if this was protocol in every Home / Business ? = Very Low Crime Rate ! Ding ! Express your Rights & Protect Your Rights , Or Situation's such as this could possibly have the tables turned. " Freedom Is Never Free "...

May 04 2013 at 10:00 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Loony1's comment
wllharrington

Are you crazy? Imagine if everyone were to do this. The conservatives would be voted in, liberals would lose their voters. All sorts of terrible things would happen. Criminals might be killed, they would be deprived of their means of making a living, they wouldn't be able to buy drugs, all because law abiding citizens were allowed to fight back.

May 07 2013 at 5:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Retro Leds

I guess that was the "Shawn Shank Redemption". Awesome story!!

And Mr. Shank - thank you for serving our country, Bless you!

May 04 2013 at 9:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wjriedel

One more time. It was NOT an assult rifle. Just a semi-automatic rifle. Now, repeat after me. This was NOT an assult ...........

May 04 2013 at 9:07 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wjriedel's comment
huntermb

I feel your pain. It is getting so old, constantly trying to get the media and others to understand what the differences are between an "ASSAULT WEAPON", and an AR 15 style rifle.

May 04 2013 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Why wasn't this all over the news?

May 04 2013 at 8:58 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bill's comment
Frank Roberts

I think we know why it wasn't in the LIBERAL ANTI GUN news. LOL

May 04 2013 at 9:46 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Frank Roberts's comment
Loony1

EXACTLY....

May 04 2013 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
dougm90248

Sure, it's always the liberals' fault. You buy a rope and I'll find a suitable tree...

May 07 2013 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
steblawar

I'm amazed it made on HP. A week to 10 days ago some dude went into a grocery store, bought a knife, went out into the parking lot and started stabbing people -- he stabbed one guy in the head and one in the stomach (both were in critical condition last I heard) before a man with CCW permit drew down on him ... he dropped the knife and laid down on the ground and waited for cops to arrive. That got no mention.

May 07 2013 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to steblawar's comment
vandation

Oh great .... now the D - Baggers are going to go after knives ..... what will we cut our steaks with ?

Good job on the guy with the CCW. I have drawn my weapon three times and saved my family and a stranger before. Where I live (California), people who don't have their permits and want them .... the interview appointments with the Sheriff are full until August 2014. And classes are full.

May 07 2013 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
gasshauler

Where are all the libs on this one? Must be gathering some where to figuer out how to take this guys gun away so the criminals have an equal chance. Good guys must never the upper hand. Must pass some more laws.

May 04 2013 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gasshauler's comment
a441a

Since you asked, here is one liberal. I have my DD-214 (Vietnam era), my fathers Colt .45 (that he fired continuously for the first two hours on the beach at Iwo Jima while earning a Silver Star), and hunting licenses in two states. I would have no problem putting a hole through someone that threatened me or my family.
LIberal means the ability to reason, not being ruled by fear. Bush wasn't a liberal, he was a coward who was afraid of being called a wimp if he didn't blow someone or something up after 9/11. Now we get to learn how much that cost.

May 07 2013 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to a441a's comment
vandation

You DO realize the war had BIPARTISAN support, right ? You get that part Sweetpea ?

May 07 2013 at 10:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
sirhalllaw

Good for him. And, it would not have bothered me one iota had he removed them from the gene pool. Cheers, Larry

May 04 2013 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WT

One of the stats Obama, Biden and the anti-gun people conveniently never mention is that a gun is over 200 times more often used to prevent a crime, than to commit a murder. A gun is displayed or used to save a life or prevent a crime over 2,500,000 times a year.

I wonder why the anti-everything crowd can't find that statistic? Maybe someone should show them how to Google it.

May 04 2013 at 8:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to WT's comment
Bill

The usual BO way of operating, ignore everything that doesn't agree with you.

May 04 2013 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dougm90248

In the United States there are more deaths caused by handguns in 39 hours than in a whole year in Great Britain, where even most policeman aren't armed.
That means the free use of handguns has proven to be 225 times more deadly here!

May 07 2013 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.