Survey: Creepiest Requests From Bosses

Creepiest requests from bosses: despondent workerIf you're like most workers, you probably navigate a number of complex relationships every day. Hard-to-please customers. Temperamental co-workers. But of course, your relationship with the boss is paramount, and handling that can become all the more challenging if your boss places unreasonable, perhaps even nutty, demands on you. And according to a new survey from CareerBuilder, an AOL Jobs partner, many workers face that predicament as nearly 1 in 4 workers (23 percent) say their bosses have asked them to perform "non-work-related" tasks.

The national survey of more than 3,500 workers found that most workers respect their boss (64 percent), though 1 out of 3 think they're smarter than their managers. But when asked to describe their day-to-day assignments, a surprising number complained that they were asked to do things that were, well, a bit unusual. If not creepy.

More: One Mistake That Keeps You From Building Strong Relationships

Here are 12 of the most outlandish requests that survey respondents said they'd received from a boss:

1. Be a surrogate mother for her child.

2. Spy on senior management.

3. Buy a rifle for him.

4. "Hook him up" with illegal substances.

5. Go online and post false favorable comments about him.

6. Come up with a science fair project for her daughter.

7. Fire the boss's brother.

8. Lend him $400 for a down payment on a car.

9. Remove her stitches.

10. Bail another co-worker out of jail.

11. Clip her dog's nails

12. Help plan her wedding.

What's the craziest thing a boss has asked you to do, and how did you handle it?

How to Handle a Bad Boss

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

psiqueue

OMG- this brings back memories of some of the stupid things I was asked to do by my boss.

It started with being called into one bosses office, to pick up the keys he dropped on the floor. He as able body and could bend over and get them himself, but his "culture" had it where an underling would lower himself to do this task.
Another time, I was asked to find what was burning. There was no smoke and no fire- just a "smell". (My bosses knew I was born without a sense of smell). Another time, I was asked to help move furniture from one location to another to another- unload it so they could see what it looked like, and then mow the grass, so that they could get a idea what it looked like with "cut grass".
Another weekend, I was asked to come into work, and lower the temp in the office by two degrees. Mind you, I was out of town.
I had a boss let me choke on food, and almost fired me because I didn't response. (Kinda hard to talk when you can't BREATH). Another itme, I caught same boss poking his finger in my sandwich, after exiting the stall in the bathroom & not washing his hands.
I was asked to loan my truck to a stranger, so that they could move three states away- and I could "walk to work. It is only 6 miles and you could stand to loose the weight".
Was tasked with moving 3000 pound equipment - by myself. ("Do not hire anyone else to move it. Just move it yourself").
Asked to find and purchase an airplane for the CEO of the company, so that he could fly his mistresses (and the other Upper executives' mistress) to quiet hideaways - all so that the wives would never see any type of "airline ticket purchase".
"Loose" the DNA results for a paternity test. (Again, see the Mistresses part).
Memorize everything on Wikipedia. ("I want you to know everything in Wikipedia").
Sit (and stay awake) through a 4-5 hr daily lectures, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks - ALL OF IT IN HINDI. (Of which I know only three words - and only one of which I could say in mixed company).

Ok, having flashbacks ot this company...
Going to go to my happy place now.

July 08 2013 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rkeeeballs

Boss can ask me anything.....I will give my best price..$..take it or leave it !

April 13 2013 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gramos555

My boss once asked me to assess her for a deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot in the leg). Now, we're both nurses, so it's something we both know well how to do. But it is pretty personal and physical, and it was awkward to say the least. Oh, and I'm male.

Even more surprising.....I went ahead and did it. I don't know What I was thinking.

April 12 2013 at 11:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mark

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan "Just say no!"

April 12 2013 at 10:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lkd3712

I worked for a lady who had her own business at home. She didn't know the first thing about how to stay organized! Once she was out of town for a week, I spent the week defraging the computers, filing papers, cleaning the whole apartment, including organizing her closets. Oh, I also found marital aides in the office area. Came in on Monday after she had been home for less than 24 hours and the place looked like a tornado had hit. I quit soon after that.

April 12 2013 at 10:33 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lkd3712's comment
uncommonsensesc

I worked for a woman like that too! It drove me crazy! She waited until the last minute for everything and then wanted to blame me for it! I finally told her that I would completely take over the scheduling of trade shows (reservations, ordering of booth needs, shipping items to the show) and all she had to do was let me know which trade shows she wanted to attend. And she waited until we had to pay extra to let me know which ones. When accounting asked me about it, I was honest and told them why. She got mad, she got over it but she still didn't change! When we changed computer systems, she had saved somewhere around 20,000 e-mails that were going to take hours to copy and save. I made an executive decision and deleted the ones that were over a year old (thousands of 'em)! I told her that the copy and save must have messed up! I transferred to another department as soon as an opening came up!

July 15 2013 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ectullis

The economy is going down the tubes unemployment is through the roof fighting in the middle east N Korea rattling sabres and you print this kind of stuff.

April 12 2013 at 9:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ectullis's comment
gramos555

The economy is booming. The stock market is higher than it has ever been, and we've had four years of job growth. It's uneven and imperfect, but it's improvement.

It's almost impossible to make a valid point when you exagerate.

April 12 2013 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gramos555's comment
uncommonsensesc

Oh my god! You need to get back on your medication immediately! No where in this country have we had 4 years of job growth! Detroit is a ghost town. Businesses are shutting down or moving to other countries. The unemployment numbers are extremely skewed because benefits have run out for millions of citizens so they aren't even tracked anymore! You are so delusional!

July 15 2013 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Skye Hawk

Change written documentation to make the corporation look less libel fearing a lawsuit and in the same situation asked to fire an employee who was an excellent worker as the "scapegoat" to show something was done. After a decade of working for this place i handed in my resignation refusing to change anything or fire the person. That person still works there and I stressed to find a new job but it was an inner issue of morals and in the end, I have to live with myself and my actions.

April 11 2013 at 6:11 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Paralegs

A previous boss asked for a hand job....

April 11 2013 at 4:28 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paralegs's comment
uncommonsensesc

Oh, yuck!

July 15 2013 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SisterGeriA

Oh I forgot to say, the baby sitting was for a long holiday weekend. Not a paid sitting job.

April 11 2013 at 3:31 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
SisterGeriA

I had a boss once that asked me to keep his 4 children so he could take his wife to a resort because she needed a break. I told him "Not no but hell no." I had 3 children and my husband was overseas in the military.

April 11 2013 at 3:28 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply