'Big Data' Predicts Who Makes The Best Workers

Evolv is leading the way in using analytics for hiring. For years, employers and governments have been collecting massive amounts of data about people, but recently they've become focused on using "big data" to make better decisions -- including about hiring. By studying trends, "employers are trying to predict specific outcomes, such as whether a prospective hire will quit too soon, file disability claims or steal," according to The Wall Street Journal.

One of the leaders in this field, Evolv Inc., or Evolv on Demand, has begun selling to employers. Here are four insights that the San Francisco-based workplace performance solutions company has gleaned, busting several myths in the process:

​More: 10 High-Paying Jobs In A Booming Sector

1. Internet enthusiasts make better employees. In studying the actions of 30,000 employees, Evolv noticed that workers who use Internet browsers that did not automatically come installed with their computers both performed better and changed jobs less often. Why? The Economist notes that it may just be a "coincidence," but workers who download Firefox or Chrome "may be the sort who take the time to reach informed decisions."

​2. The long-term unemployed are just as capable. Discrimination against the long-term unemployed is a well-established phenomenon of the financial crisis. But the correlation between being out of work and being a good worker is nonexistent for workers out of work for 27 weeks or longer, Jim Meyerle, a co-founder of Evolv, explained to Forbes. Workers who have been out of work for more than six months, and then land a job, tend to stay on in their new jobs just as long as workers who haven't had to endure long-term unemployment.

3. A criminal background is an asset in some careers. Discrimination against job hunters with criminal records is pervasive. But data analysis shows that a criminal background has no bearing on a worker's performance or ability to stick with a job. In fact, the data show that a criminal background can be helpful; ex-convicts actually perform slightly better when it comes to customer-support call center work.

4. Honesty matters a lot more than experience. For its 48,700 call-center jobs, Xerox Corp. had long focused on job applicants' experience. But after signing up with Evolv, Xerox began hiring based on results of personality tests. After a six-month trial, Xerox was able to cut the rate of workers quitting by 20 percent. What kind of questions do the tests focus on? One major issue is honesty. The tests often ask an applicant to assess their ability to work with computers. And then the survey asks: "What does control-V do on a word-processing program?"
Tracking Employees

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

sagegirljo

It's so nice to be trusted now a days :(

April 11 2013 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

What does Control V do on a word processing program?

April 11 2013 at 1:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bill's comment
rrtaylor59

It pastes to a document. Ctrl C, copies.

April 11 2013 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Halfway through one interview; I realized that I didn't want to work for the company.
So, I had a novel situation on how to get out of the job offer gratiously !??
I finally thought of the solution.....I doubled my asking salary !!!
When the interviewer finally asked me how much I was asking for and I told him; his face was like Mt. Rushmore had had a grade 9 earthquake !! HA!
I didn't get the job; but then I didn't want it !!

April 11 2013 at 11:44 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
rkeeeballs

...I love to apply for a job with a humorous attitude and a "I don't give a sh%#" tone.......yup. I will let you know if I want to be here !...... :>)

April 11 2013 at 10:20 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
n45

I wish they would just write this down. The video waste time to get to the conclusion. This could be used for good or for bad. most likely the /state federal job service could use data to place people in personally productive positions.

April 11 2013 at 10:13 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
whdlsn

Perhaps 'Big Data' doesn't factor how good someone's skill-set is at that particular set of task parameters? My place of employment has a number of 'Grumpy Old Guys' that likely couldn't pass such a litmus test, but are stunning with craftsmanship and production volumes. They may snarl and gripe, but churn out stellar products that are difficult to produce, with little failure rates. Ergo, personal interpretation and human assesments are necessary to ferret out and hire these types of employees. Once found, they should be given encouragement to stay in the company.

April 11 2013 at 9:25 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to whdlsn's comment
kate

Yea, my Dad was one of those. Almost no person skills, shy, anxious in social situations, but at tool and die? An artist. Very loyal to the company and a work ethic that is rarely seen these days.

April 11 2013 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
YPC

Really...hum...have to think about this one and maybe they need to think about getting more massive data collection to come out with whatever results they want.

Data collection = snooping without consent

So they criminials to snoop at others data, nice government.

April 11 2013 at 9:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply