Great article. What sucks though is in reality... most companies absolutely refuse and discourage working from home (and even flex time) for everyone EXCLUDING the executives. Go figure.

I think it comes down to being more about the power to say "No. You are NOT working from home no matter what because that type of privilege is reserved for me, the executive" versus companies not thinking outside the box. Working from home, flex time, and telecommuting a couple of days a week is not a new idea. Which only further gives my fist sentence in this paragraph more weight...

August 26 2013 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

employees need to stop acting like children if they don't want to be treated that way...complaining, infighting,whining...I actually put a sign up in my office that says "your mother doesn't work here" and when any kindergarten minded employee comes to me with nonsense I just point to it and send them back to work

March 19 2013 at 9:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

"Memo To Bosses: Stop Treating Employees Like Children"

Yeah, you're right, go sit in the corner and quietly play with your iPhone. Boss man
will finish up for you.

March 18 2013 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

One of my friends worked at WalMart and had to do all these ridiculous cheers before starting work in the morning. Another worked at Menards and had to go to these "team building" porgrams every now and then (no pay) and they would run relay races and play other goofy kid's games. How degrading. It's bad enough to work for less than $10 an hour, why does the company treat you like you are in 3rd grade? My friends were in their 40's with good work ethics and were super reliable. It was stupid especially as the managers were 1/2 their ages.

March 18 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

You cannot make someone be dependable, conscientious, or trustworthy. trying to micro manage someone is a losing proposition. making a better choice when hiring someone is the best cure.

March 18 2013 at 4:44 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

So lost in the clouds! The number of jobs that can be done at home are not that many compared to the number of labor and service jobs, and the number of self-starters are much fewer. We have become a lazy nation and expect everything and not to have to do anything in return!

March 18 2013 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kd485's comment

Or are addicted to driving, or like clocking in and mentally clocking out. Most home workers I've known put in 12-14 hour days, I've done that for long periods when I had a shop right out back of the house. It jangles the nerves a little until you get used to it but I got a lot more done and still prefer that to a straight 8 job.

March 18 2013 at 6:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Excellent article and so very true, Mr. Schwartz! Unfortunately too many employers do not think outside the box and insist that workers subscribe to an 8-5 mentality that doesn't necessarily work for everyone anymore, as evidenced by so many work-from-home employees in today's workplace. Compromise and flexibility are the keys in this respect, unfortunately most corporations follow the "do as I say, not as I do" credo. Just because there's some who don't honor their part of he bargain doesn't mean they ALL fall into that category, so in essence, Ms. Mayer is punishing all of her work-from-home staffers for the behavior of a few. If they were more diligent in their reporting systems, or used their technology to verify their off-site employees were working and not playing around, they might be better able to ferret out the gamers and replace them with honest, hard working employees who don't game their employers. I suspect Ms. Mayer was inconvenienced by a couple work-from-home staffer whose hours differed from hers and instead of addressing it on a case-by-case basis, she chose to change the work-from-home policies of all of her employees. Yet, I'd bet my last dollar bill that she often works from home herself. Thank you for pointing out the relevance of trust and compromise.

March 18 2013 at 1:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to RJM's comment

Found a few typos here. Meant to type "part of THE bargain", "a couple work-from-home STAFFERS".

March 18 2013 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Maybe those two put their money into oil futures or producers.

March 18 2013 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

the thing about "old sayings" is they come from a place of truth..lets take "give em an inch and they will take a mile " and furthermore every one on the side of supporting the work from home argument seems to work on a cpu as their only responsibility far different world for the rest of us

March 18 2013 at 1:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to timkinetron's comment

I ran an appliance business from a building behind my house, I don't see a lot of difference. If your job is entirely the production of digital items, I see no point, it's wasted time, energy and materials just for the sake of convention.

March 18 2013 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Maybe we need to know why these employers lost trust, if that's what happened. If everyone was doing everything they were suppose to do, why would they have them stop working at home? I don't consider this treating them like children. I consider it a boss, or company owner, trying to get control of a situation that seemed to them to be less than in control.

March 18 2013 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Being an employer is so much like parenting. This article is way off base. Very few people can accept responsibilty and act like adults. There is in-fighting and inter-personal relationships that foster and grow and left unchecked can blow up in your face. Dealing with all that and trying to run a business is exactly like day care where the kiddies don't play well. This author is simply too naive and clearly hasn't been an employer for too long if at all. If there is anything I have learned in 45 years of business it's that they are all children and need to be coddled, praised and soothed.

March 18 2013 at 11:39 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply