I took a Friday off to go to doctor because I had metal in my eye and I couldn't see to drive company vehicle then after er sent me to specialist to scrape my eye boss called and told me to take Monday off also is this legal for him to do

March 15 2015 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It is unbelievable to me that in a country such as this there are no more protections for sick employees. It is actually scary because of the health ramifications it can carry. I am facing termination because I missed one day of work because of a terrible flu. I had 102 degree fever, bad cough, lots of phlegm, body aches... It was difficult to even get out of bed. I messaged my boss explaining my concern, especially because it was supposed to be chilly and rainy outside (job is outdoors) and she said to skip work but later that day she messaged me back saying she doesn't think I should keep working there because the job is outdoors and I should be able to work no matter the weather or my condition. I work in Times Square. I come in direct contact with thousands of New Yorkers and tourists from all over the world every day. If I am sick, I can potentially pass around a disease to thousands of people that can carry it with them all over the world. This time was the flu, but if unknowingly I had been dealing with something worse and went to work anyways, you can see how easily you can start a global epidemic just because of lousy and negligent laws and lack of employee protection. Employees are afraid of getting fired so they go to work anyways, risking the health of many people.

September 14 2014 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Thank you for the article. I'm still a little confused, however. I was recently diagnosed with Grave's disease, and I will be seeing an ophthamologist and possibly retina specialist soon for the beginning stages of Grave's eye disease. Needless to say, this has been a huge emotional, psychological, and physical burden. Recently, my primary doctor instructed me to go to the ER for stabbing migrains and constant dizzy spells that made it impossible to function. I was then put on beta blockers to bring my heart rate down from 140 bpm, and it seems like it may be helping other symptoms for now until I see the endo next week. Unfortunately, I've only been employed with my current employer two months, and I've already had to call off a few days (with a doctor's note) and will need to take off more for future appointments. I'm doing everything to schedule them as late in the day as possible and even scheduling on Saturdays when I can. My employer has slightly more than 15 employees. Based on this info, it sounds like I may still get fired?

April 02 2014 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam C Smith

I work in a restaurant and even though it's a health code violation, most of us know if we call out sick we're fired. Go into work and barf on everything. That'll teach them. Or do what I do when I get a migraine: take some good pain meds and go into work high.

December 11 2013 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hello my good friends please do not see this strange cause it my life story about my healing, i was having HIV for good 6yrs. Things were not working fine for me due to my health status i know longer have friends know lover it even takes time before my family co-operate with me due to this i tried all possible means i can to get this devilish sickness out of my body i went to hospitals hierarchies and other heath organization but all remains the same till yet i never gave up cos i was not born with this illness so i decided to take it over to the internet to see if i could get remedy, on my search i saw a testimony of a woman, she said she was also having a terrible sickness for over 3yrs but now she is healed i was surprise at first when i saw her test so she wrote a name dr SOLABO and also gave his email id so i mailed them which is ( i told them about my problem and after the processes he told me that am healed but i never believed he told me to go and confirm it from the hospital were i have been taking treatment still i never believed also although he gave me evidence that the sickness was gone.
Finally i decided to go for check up and to my surprise my doctor said the sickness was know longer there with thought of joy i started shearing tears.
My friends today am now married bless with 2kids, so if you have any sickness kindly email ( sir i will forever remain in you debt.

June 18 2013 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Can a employer ask where my parents are from and if I was ever involved in gangs and If I had ever sued any of my employers

June 13 2013 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lu Ann

When I was hired in to my work, I had to sign a secrecy agreement re: my pay, company technology, our top secret equipment & innovation, and the products we used there, and also in this agreement was that I was not allowed to quit my job without 3 months advance notice...not only that, but the company could not terminate my job without notifying me 3 months in advance. When our company moved it's production lines to another country....suddenly, there was no agreement to be found!! Imagine that? There were only a handful of us that had to sign said agreement....after 20 years they were suddenly all lost

June 12 2013 at 9:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
daniels choices

If no worker or other employee can ever call in sick without being fired, and Al Qaeda finds out, then the Islamist fundie terrorists only need to read this article. A single patient zero with a deadly plague and the whole world will come to an end in thirteen weeks! Obviously therefore, job security is both national and global security. Also, a sick worker can still infect a one percenter. It has happened before to the previous America.

June 11 2013 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

What is sick leave for if it can't be used to recover from an illness that would prevent one from performing his or her job effectively and to prevent infecting coworkers? The flu, strep, severe sinus congestion, diarrhea, and many other illnesses do not fall under the category of "disability", but the article above makes it sound like one cannot take sick leave (or even leave without pay in the absence of sick leave) without the risk of being fired. A good policy is to call one's supervisor as soon as practical to explain the situation and get concurrence that staying home is the best option for all.

April 17 2013 at 12:55 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Debbie E. R.

How about a worker who is out intermittently for over a month for a "cat allergy"?

April 16 2013 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply